iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

372 clone. Worked it hard, did it survive?

Started by weimedog, October 19, 2018, 02:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

Worked with one of those "Holzfforma" G372 saws, a 365 Special Original Edition Patterned Copy from Farmertec. Bucked up a old dry maple with enough dust to suck ALL the oil it could pump onto the bar. But rather that pontificate about the theory, I just put the saw to work on a typical job here at the farm....figured I would run it until it stopped and talk about it then. So did it work or crash? What's your guess based on all the online expertise at everyone disposal? (About these saws from China ). Me the only thing I will say is I didn't and wouldn't buy one for myself, but the reason has more to do with an emotional reason than anything else, and won't expect anyone else to follow because of me. BUT have to simply report and document the experience, good, bad, and ugly..:) Have to say I had a little fun doing this task after the last few months!! It was SO nice to get back to work.

BigAzMaple Tree "Holtzfforma G372" Gets Worked. Hard. Does It Last or Crash? - YouTube
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

lxskllr

Don't have time for a video right now, but my best guess is "who knows?!". The impression I get is they run the full range of complete junk to decent runners with every step in between. Can't tell what you'll end up with, but you'll probably save a few bucks if you're willing to put in the time playing with them.

weimedog

Quote from: lxskllr on October 19, 2018, 02:41:52 PM
Don't have time for a video right now, but my best guess is "who knows?!". The impression I get is they run the full range of complete junk to decent runners with every step in between. Can't tell what you'll end up with, but you'll probably save a few bucks if you're willing to put in the time playing with them.
But you are here spending time online with opinions. One of the most interesting phenom's is all the expertise offered by folks who have no actual experience on the subject they offer advice. The purpose of the video's is to actually document the experience and through the video, a gazillion assessments and opinions will be formed, but at least those opinions will be formed through a little real time experience...:) Everyone will see something different and the more "experienced" ones will pick out details the rest of us hobbyists will miss...:) I learn a lot from my subscribers.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

lxskllr

Quote from: weimedog on October 19, 2018, 03:16:37 PM
But you are here spending time online with opinions. One of the most interesting phenom's is all the expertise offered by folks who have no actual experience on the subject they offer advice. The purpose of the video's is to actually document the experience and through the video, a gazillion assessments and opinions will be formed, but at least those opinions will be formed through a little real time experience...:) Everyone will see something different and the more "experienced" ones will pick out details the rest of us hobbyists will miss...:) I learn a lot from my subscribers.
I have some experience. It's come through reading the adventures of others building these things, but they're from someone who's had their hands on the units, and intimately gone through them. I'll admit I haven't studied them cause I'm not that interested in Chinese stuff. They get enough of my money. I actively try to avoid buying Chinese, and with anything that goes in or on my body, I absolutely will not buy. Other stuff? Depends on how much time I feel like researching, or just giving up due to there being no alternative.

DelawhereJoe

Are you using the recommended 25:1 in the fuel and aside from personal reasons would you recommend it to a person on a very limited budget that needs to cut large trees ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

weimedog

Quote from: lxskllr on October 19, 2018, 05:46:14 PM
Quote from: weimedog on October 19, 2018, 03:16:37 PM
I have some experience. It's come through reading the adventures of others building these things, but they're from someone who's had their hands on the units, and intimately gone through them. I'll admit I haven't studied them cause I'm not that interested in Chinese stuff. They get enough of my money. I actively try to avoid buying Chinese, and with anything that goes in or on my body, I absolutely will not buy. Other stuff? Depends on how much time I feel like researching, or just giving up due to there being no alternative.
But your here again...and I ask you if you have little interest, why have you time here to build discussion? So obviously there is some interest or you would have passed right on by.

lxskllr

Quote from: weimedog on October 19, 2018, 07:15:53 PM

So here again...and I ask you if you have little interest, why have you time here to build discussion?
This is a discussion board. When on a discussion board you discuss things. More specifically, I was answering your question in the OP...
QuoteWhat's your guess based on all the online expertise at everyone disposal?
I answered based on what I've read from other people building these things. Maybe it worked great, maybe it worked alright, maybe it never even started. All scenarios are plausible based on reading the builds of others. I'm assuming it ran in some fashion, or it would have been a boring video, but I couldn't verify since I was at work, and when I'm at work, I typically have work to do, and don't have time for videos.

weimedog

Quote from: lxskllr on October 19, 2018, 07:25:44 PM
Quote from: weimedog on October 19, 2018, 07:15:53 PM

So here again...and I ask you if you have little interest, why have you time here to build discussion?
This is a discussion board. When on a discussion board you discuss things. More specifically, I was answering your question in the OP...
QuoteWhat's your guess based on all the online expertise at everyone disposal?
I answered based on what I've read from other people building these things. Maybe it worked great, maybe it worked alright, maybe it never even started. All scenarios are plausible based on reading the builds of others. I'm assuming it ran in some fashion, or it would have been a boring video, but I couldn't verify since I was at work, and when I'm at work, I typically have work to do, and don't have time for videos.
SO you do have interest, and obviously time. :) Most places that have employee's really aren't interested in having them prowl around online...like you said at work usually have work to do, so I'm curious how long and how often you will respond..:) AND most folks would rather respond with their experience vs. just a repeat of someone else, especially an online source. SO when folks want to discuss a concept the discussion isn't some circular jerk of commentary where reality is generated on line and then spun in all directions. Like stuff hitting the fan. HENCE the reason I do video's. I see "your new" so I guess a welcome is in order too BTW

Grandpa

Hi Walt, looks like the hip is doing pretty good. :)

No experience myself but yours seems to be pretty typical according to what I've heard. Those cheap clone saws will work but be prepared to tinker and don't compare to oem. Probably  out of the question if you depend on your saw for your income.

Like you, I would never buy one.

weimedog

Sounds like you saw the first video..:) They are what they are. T I'll give it a fair shake and just video it doing what it does, good or bad, and hope there is enough information for folks to make their own informed decision on these & try to keep my views out of it.

First Video:

How To Set "Squish" On A Chainsaw Cylinder & Holtzfforma G372 FIRST Impressions - YouTube

joe_indi

Quote from: weimedog on October 19, 2018, 02:25:54 PM
Worked with one of those "Holzfforma" G372 saws, a 365 Special Original Edition Patterned Copy from Farmertec. Bucked up a old dry maple with enough dust to suck ALL the oil it could pump onto the bar. But rather that pontificate about the theory, I just put the saw to work on a typical job here at the farm....figured I would run it until it stopped and talk about it then. So did it work or crash? What's your guess based on all the online expertise at everyone disposal? (About these saws from China ). Me the only thing I will say is I didn't and wouldn't buy one for myself, but the reason has more to do with an emotional reason than anything else, and won't expect anyone else to follow because of me. BUT have to simply report and document the experience, good, bad, and ugly..:) Have to say I had a little fun doing this task after the last few months!! It was SO nice to get back to work.

BigAzMaple Tree "Holtzfforma G372" Gets Worked. Hard. Does It Last or Crash? - YouTube
About 6 months ago a customer brought in a brand new Husky 365 clone that cost him 30% of that of an original. I pulled it to pieces and reassembled it. Crank bearings were not that great so I used two Stihl bearings instead. The piston needle I used a Stihl. Piston and cylinder were 'donated' from a junked 372. The suspicious looking carb was replaced by a HD16 from a long dead MS460. The same junked 372 yielded its oil pump and ignition coil.
Well, that clone is still going strong.
Joe

DelawhereJoe

Next you will have to try out the g372xp 71cc model they have out now along with the g111 (ms 201 clone) and give us your findings.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

firewood hack

Thanks Walt. Keep the vids coming. Appreciate the time and effort put into the channel ect along with yours and Spike's thoughtful approach. 

Puffergas

I have too much experience with clone saws! The engines start nice and run but never could get the bar oilers to work!!! I will check that sheet metal issue, thanks. Plan to use one on a debarker and the other as a back up saw. I now own a professional saw.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Mad Professor

Lets us know how the Chi-Com C#!t holds up long term.

Not for me.

weimedog

Quote from: Puffergas on December 03, 2018, 05:14:27 PM
I have too much experience with clone saws! The engines start nice and run but never could get the bar oilers to work!!! I will check that sheet metal issue, thanks. Plan to use one on a debarker and the other as a back up saw. I now own a professional saw.
Did a video build on one of the 372's and found the rubber piece that blends the copper tube that carries the oil to the bar to the oil pump was a plug.....picked it out cut the top off and it worked fine. But had me really frustrated. And most don't have time or skills to debug that little crap and probably should stick with the well sorted out OEM's. But to the question, the Blue 660 and 65cc G372 seem to be holding up to this point. Especially in the case of the Blue Saw, Its been developed a little further than the Kit's, better parts in key places and doesn't have some of the annoyances the saws I built strictly from the kits have. On the saw I built that were from those boxes of parts, took me a year or two to actually understand the variations enough to get consistent builds. A few now have lasted a year or two in daily use harvesting Hard wood.... going to do a video follow up on three of them after I get caught up in the shop AND weather allows me to get to their landing with something other than a forwarder. Those three are each a slightly different blend of Aftermarket Kits, Hyway and OEM parts. I do have the blue one in my truck, the rest are either retired in the closet or out with other folks but for the most part I've moved on from these mostly so will just wait and see with an occasional up date to track their fate.

weimedog

The saw built from the KIT, of which most of the parts are the same as the "G" power head's I'm told..
AND If a person watches, there is a ONE pull restart warm on a 562xp and as I said in another post, its how all mine are, hot or cold. That one is a HTSS build but is typical of all of mine. In the following video I have a few saws and just cut cookies with them back to back with the same bar and chain to "ball park" one vs. the other. No winners and losers, they all cut well. Some will read into these too much in my opinion.

Farmertec / Huztl 372 Kit Saw vs. OEM 372xp X-Torq, 562xp, and 660 Kit Saw "Farmer Jones" Build - YouTube

Weekend_Sawyer

Good videos.
Thanks for putting them up.
I'm sure you have helped someone decide weather they have the skills to own one of these saws.

Has it convinced me to purchase an aftermarket saw?
no. I love my Stihls
But I did enjoy watching them. :)

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

HolmenTree

You make good videos Walt and you have a knack of explaining things.
Were you a school teacher in a previous life ?
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

weimedog

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on December 07, 2018, 08:22:30 AM
Good videos.
Thanks for putting them up.
I'm sure you have helped someone decide weather they have the skills to own one of these saws.

Has it convinced me to purchase an aftermarket saw?
no. I love my Stihls
But I did enjoy watching them. :)

Jon
Exactly why we do them, and I could not have crafted a greater compliment for what our true intent is.  We aren't trying to sell a thing, just document our experiences for what ever others can derive, be it interest, information, or entertainment. Thank you!

weimedog

Quote from: HolmenTree on December 07, 2018, 09:55:59 AM
LOL Nope, did have to build and do tech presentations though, was an AE for a few Cad/Cam companies in a prior life a long long time ago..thank you. Your pretty good at explanations yourself sir.

hedgerow

weimedog 
Thanks for the thread. I kind been looking at these clone saws. I need a 90cc plus saw once in a while out on the farm. If I put a 36 inch bar on my Stihl 461 it's all it wants.I am not color blind when it comes to equipment. Not a lot of used big saws in my area for sale and spending for a new one is tough as I will never use it enough to get the value back. I don't like helping China either as I set on the rest of my bean crop that lost $3.00 a bushel. But the fact is we end up buying from them I have a lot of Honda clone engines on equipment and have had very few issues with them over the years. 

HolmenTree

Quote from: weimedog on December 07, 2018, 10:06:52 AM
LOL Nope, did have to build and do tech presentations though, was an AE for a few Cad/Cam companies in a prior life a long long time ago..thank you. Your pretty good at explanations yourself sir.
Thanks Walt, I try my best.
But I'm driving myself bonkers trying to explain to KDE5555 the Stihl Mini 7 spline and the Standard 7 spline on his Standardize Chain thread.

weimedog

Quote from: HolmenTree on December 07, 2018, 10:50:25 AM
But I'm driving myself bonkers trying to explain to KDE5555 the Stihl Mini 7 spline and the Standard 7 spline on his Standardize Chain thread.
Pictures?? Sometimes that's the best way? But the "feature function benefit" approach works only if all accept the same premise of whats best...:) 

HolmenTree

Quote from: weimedog on December 07, 2018, 05:59:36 PM
Pictures?? Sometimes that's the best way? But the "feature function benefit" approach works only if all accept the same premise of whats best...:)
I posted pictures for him of some of my sprockets explaining which was what inside and out.
I guess I should have put my pointer finger in the photo.

Mad Professor

Quote from: HolmenTree on December 07, 2018, 06:18:03 PM
I posted pictures for him of some of my sprockets explaining which was what inside and out.
Holmen,  he may have the added dilemma that the 024 might not have adjustable oiler and the 260 does so drums are different (don't interchange).
Here is a PDF for the early vs late 034/036 clutch drums it should show the spline difference and explain the sprcockets. And a picture of both setups

HolmenTree

Quote from: Mad Professor on December 07, 2018, 09:51:25 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on December 07, 2018, 06:18:03 PM
Holmen,  he may have the added dilemma that the 024 might not have adjustable oiler and the 260 does so drums are different (don't interchange).
Here is a PDF for the early vs late 034/036 clutch drums it should show the spline difference and explain the sprcockets. And a picture of both setups

MP, good info thanks, really appreciate it.
I never owned a 024 or 260. But the guy seemed to think mini spline meant the outside perimeter (chain pitch) of the sprocket, not the 7 spline bore I tried to explain to him.
Really hard sometimes when explaining on the key board.

weimedog

More time trying to get pyrotechnics with aftermarket 372's....and to the point of what to expect with them and will they last...I got one to stick. Seize. Just after this video, but was able to hammer it apart and make it run again...something that would happen in the service life of a saw, and yet again is a test of the resilience of these parts, but first more noodling.

Stihl MS461 With Hyway Top End vs. Husqvarna 372XP OE With Hyway Top end... - YouTube

Thank You Sponsors!