iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

winter sawing

Started by doc henderson, December 08, 2018, 01:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

Happy Holidays!  I was milling last week in the cold and shredded a belt going to the hydraulic pump.  After replacing the belt, I decided to get a magnetic KAT heater and place it on the side of the metal tank to keep the hydraulic oil warm.  The belt had a few cracks and was due to be changed but assumed the colder oil put more stress on the belt and pump.  It kept the oil about 50 degrees F.  The machine was warmed up and ready to go much sooner.  I know some put RV antifreeze in the lube tank.  I froze and broke a plastic fitting one year.  Thought I would see what tricks and wisdom the rest of you have.  Tis the season
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

goose63

Up here in this frozzzzen tundra my mill sleeps all winter  8) 8) 8) 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Resonator

Doc, look at WV sawmiller's topic called "Seasonal Reminders" for tips on cold weather sawmill use.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Magicman

Talk about cold, I am scheduled to saw Red Oak next Tuesday and the forecast is 27° with a high of 55° !!!  :o   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WLC

Now MM you are talking about a nice comfortable day for sawing.  Here where I am I usually retire my mill until March or April.  I cut and drag logs in the fall and saw them in the spring until we get busy here around the camp.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

moodnacreek

Quote from: Magicman on December 08, 2018, 05:59:37 PM
Talk about cold, I am scheduled to saw Red Oak next Tuesday and the forecast is 27° with a high of 55° !!!  :o   :o
It doesn't get any nicer than that!

DPatton

Quote from: moodnacreek on December 09, 2018, 10:15:38 AM
Talk about cold, I am scheduled to saw Red Oak next Tuesday and the forecast is 27° with a high of 55° !!!  :o   :o
It doesn't get any nicer than that!
I'm with you Moodnacreek, 11* here this morning with a high of 30. It's actually a real nice day out. I'm so used to winter already it feels down right balmy. It has been unseasonably cold here for several weeks now. I probably have enough ice on the ponds to go ice fishing now, but I'll wait for it to thicken a bit more.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Old Greenhorn

Most days in the past 3 weeks, especially when I can mill, it has been a high temp in the mid to low 30's and morning lows around 15. Your weather would be a perfect day for me, maybe a little warm. But since I pinched a nerve in my back this morning pushing the mill, I can't even get out of a chair without a cane and a lot of grunting. 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

I am near Wichita so we do get an occ. warm afternoon to get some things done.  I am glad not to be in Nebraska let alone Alaska.  MM looks like you work circles around us "younger fellers".  I will review the seasonal stuff.  No need to think of everything or having to make all the mistakes myself.  Thanks gentleman.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Nice dobro Resonator, I guess that is what you do on the cold days.  Did you make it by chance? smile_banjoman smile_banjoman

jmouton

wholy cow magicman you better get the long johns out and heavy winter coat for that,,, :D :D  its 27 for highs around here and we are milling in shorts    ;D

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

PAmizerman

I would love to have me some 55° days
8)
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

barbender

It got up to about 25° and sunny here today, it was so nice my son and I sat on a bench outside the local fleet supply when we were waiting for my wife to pick us up😁
Too many irons in the fire

D6c

Last time I tried milling frozen logs in cold weather the heat from the blade warmed the sawdust coming out of the cut...then it promptly refroze all over the mill rails.  How do you guys that mill in the cold deal with that?

moodnacreek

Quote from: D6c on December 09, 2018, 08:42:35 PM
Last time I tried milling frozen logs in cold weather the heat from the blade warmed the sawdust coming out of the cut...then it promptly refroze all over the mill rails.  How do you guys that mill in the cold deal with that?
Now that's a winter sawing problem. Sounds like half frozen logs, the worst. Circle or band.

petefrom bearswamp

These Old bones detest the cold.
All is snow covered at my mill and Im sure the logs are frozen and I dont plan to be, frozen that is.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Resonator

QuoteNice dobro Resonator, I guess that is what you do on the cold days.  Did you make it by chance?

No, I'm not a guitar builder, I just buy them (it's a resonator guitar, a dobro is still on my wish list.) I'm not crazy about working in the cold either, but the bills show up whether the weather is warm or not. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

petefrom bearswamp

Resonator, I can appreciate your situation.
I dont envy you north country fellows/girls that have to saw, log or do other outside work to pay bills.
I have the advantage of not having many monthly bills to pay and my mill work is only a (sometimes) money making hobby.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

D6c

Quote from: moodnacreek on December 10, 2018, 08:31:14 AM
Quote from: D6c on December 09, 2018, 08:42:35 PM
Last time I tried milling frozen logs in cold weather the heat from the blade warmed the sawdust coming out of the cut...then it promptly refroze all over the mill rails.  How do you guys that mill in the cold deal with that?
Now that's a winter sawing problem. Sounds like half frozen logs, the worst. Circle or band.
band mill ...LT40

Joe Hillmann

This is what I do for winter cutting.

Diesel for blade lube, take the battery out at night and bring it into the warm house.  I cover the engine with a tarp that drapes way down and if I am near to electric power I put an electric heater under the tarp on a timer set to go on 2 hours before I intend to start it.  If electric isn't near by I put a propane heater or lantern under the tarp while I get everything else ready.

I have though of putting stick on or magnetic heaters on the oil pan and battery. 

If I knew I was going to be sawing in really cold weather (-20? or less) I would drain the oil the night before, bring the oil in the house to keep it warm than put it back in in the morning. 

I have had to start cold engines in the woods before where I drape a tarp over the machine down to the ground then bank it up with snow.  Then light a fire and once it is burned down to coals I shovel under the tarp.  (probably shouldn't use this method, or the gas heater or lantern on machines that leak gas or have large build ups of oil and grease on the outside.)

boonesyard

Above 20 and no wind is a good day to saw here.

I wish they had glow plugs in this Yanmar diesel, doesn't start worth a darn if it gets below 30. I'd already done what you suggested (Joe Hillmann) and but a magnetic oil pan heater on it, helped a lot. If it gets real cold, I take the battery out at night to keep it warm. It would be nice to not cut when it gets cold, but customers call. 

I've had the frozen sawdust issue as well, but as long as I keep JB-80 on the rails I don't have the problem. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

ladylake

Boonesyard

What model Yanmar do you have, I thought most have glow plugs.  What town do you live by, I'm a little north of Grey in central MN.    Yes above 20 is a good day around here. Last week the high was 12 above with some wind, didn't get cold at all with the proper winter clothes . Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

moodnacreek

If your diesel has some cranking speed and you have power, use a heat gun or hair dryer on the intake air.

Mt406

just another day in paradise 

crowhill

Last day I milled was Sunday the 9th of Dec. @ 8:00am I think it was about 9* when I started and 25* or so when I quit. Sawdust was freezing anywhere it landed on steel, the slabs wanted to freeze in place and the only thing that wanted to stay in place, I could barely hold anything else in place but I finished the materials list provided. Material is for a smaller sugar house 12x20x9'7" walls. Balance of project will be roof framing when he's ready. He hopes to be using it 1st of March. What's the first day of winter, December 21?!! I think there will be some more cold milling! He will have to hurry as I'll start logging in a couple of weeks, just waiting for the skid roads to freeze up after driving over them a few times. 
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Thank You Sponsors!