iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing 2 logs at once

Started by sawmilljoe, December 14, 2018, 05:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawmilljoe

Has anybody else tried too saw 2 logs at once. I did 2 small ones today with my homemade winch clamp.

sawmilljoe

Magicman

Yes I have but this is the only two that I ever did.  I consider it a gimmick and do not recommend doing it.  Too much lost time with handling and setup.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Agreed it is a gimmick.  The debarker can't get to both and if they're small enough to saw both then they're small enough to move when sawn fast.  Unless you go very slow then that defeats the purpose.   

I had a good customer asking me about doing this.  Same guy bought a little manual mill for one of his paid guys to run and it sits there idle for years while he calls me to saw.  I tell him to leave his little logs for firewood and not bother with sawing them.  

Nothing else beats sawing as fast as you can with a sharp blade and a firmly clamped log.  

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Southside

Never tried it, but agree on the gimmick comment.  As soon as one lets go and you wreck a $25 minimum band, or other more expensive parts,  it becomes a not so fun gimmick is my assessment.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

I'd seen it here on the FF but never considered it worth the effort. I figure you waste too much time with set up, clamps come loose and you tear stuff up and basically always figured "The juice ain't worth the squeeze."
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

LeeB

Agree with the rest, not worth the effort. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sawmilljoe

This was the first time I had tried it everything did go well ended up with 12 1x6 but would not try this on anything bigger and must be very straight logs. For me on the woodlands it was quite a bit faster. Have a great weekend everyone.

VTwoodworker

I have had some good experience sawing two and sometimes three logs at a time.  I saw very part time and much of what I saw comes off my land.  My forest is primarily balsam fir and red spruce that I cut into rough cut framing lumber.  I am often left with a 8'-10' long 3rd or 4th log that is 5"-6" on the top end from my trees.  Not a lot of money in these logs but they make nice 2x4s.  On my manual LT30, I can easily cut 2 matched size logs in about the same time as it takes to do one.  I make five cuts and get 4 2x4s instead of 2.  When I get a good pile of these logs, I will take a day and saw them 2 at a time.  I have not experienced clamping problems and that probably has to do with the straight short logs.

curved-wood

On my old Enercraft mill that was not hydraulic, so clamping was manual. I made a modification to saw 2 logs at the same time. The modification is inserting a ''T'' that was able to slide just like the treaded rod that is normally used to clamp a single log. That ''T'' was helpful just to make sure that the 2 logs are not moving. The sliding ''T'' could be slided and not being in the way of the treaded rod when not needed so no de-assemble needed. I used that system for sawing logs under 8'' diam and with logs of the same diameter. Very good system for sawing 4X4 cedar. Sawing 2 logs was exactly the same number of passes, just that the logs had to be flip half turn on the second pass (easy hand fliping with small cedar logs )
Now I still saw 2 logs with my hydraulic WoodMizer but it is less fast. I do 2 passes cut at 90 degrees on the first log , pull out that log, do the same on the second log, put the first log back on the mill and finish the job. Save 2 passes. But the helper is working hard. If I am sawing alone it is not worth the effort. 
Both ways are asking some more energy on the helper because a lot of stuff is moving around. I try to dont do too much of those double logs sawing in a row.

pwrwagontom

I've done this a couple of times, with low grade, small diameter logs.  Both times I was making 4x4s or 4x6s.
Was a little fiddly to set up. 
Never give an inch

Crusarius

I was thinking 2 logs end to end. never thought about next to each other. This weekend I found the max length I can cut to be 20'-4.5". I could run 2 10' long logs end to end and do it. To me that would make more sense.

curved-wood

Actually few years back I've seen a speed sawing contest where a non hydraulic was faster than an hydraulic one. The winner was sawing 2 logs end to end. While sawing the second log the helper was turning the first log, and while doing the second pass on the first log, the helper was turning the second log, etc .  So the mill was always rolling,  no down time for turning the logs ...they were always ready. Very smart ! The hardware on a manuel mill could be fairly simple to install not so on an hydraulic one. Must need a helper in top physical shape that deserve a good bonus at the end of the day. 

Thank You Sponsors!