iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mp 100 turning planed cants

Started by Escavader, December 15, 2018, 08:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Escavader

Whats anybody using to turn them without marking.i cannot have marks or dings on them.a cant dog works ,until you get to where you are gonna touch a planed face.then its muscles .small stuff aint bad yesterday full 7 by full 12s.kicking my butt by days end. Iusually work alone.(i prefer it)
  I sometimes tip them with a forklift and finish  the roll by hand.this takes way too long.
  Has anyone invented a padded cant dog  or some type of strap or anything.your thoughts appreciated.
My tracks at knee height and i can do a 20 by 20 up to 40 feet long max.although nothing that big yet lol

Alan Bickford
Hammond lumber company/Yates American A20 planer with dbl profilers Newman feed table multiple saw trimmer destacker automatic stacking machine Baker resaw MS log corner machine  4 large capacity Nyles dehumidification kilns JCB 8000 lb forklifts woodmizer lt 15 and mp100 and blower

Brad_bb

A 3 or 4 foot looped load strap and a bar to turn.  Mine is Hickory. I did break one on a big timber.  I typically turn cants by hand If I can and my off bearer helps me.  I only use the strap when it's too big to do by hand with the both of us.

I think this second pic was drawn by Jim Rogers.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Southside

Could you end dog them, lift and rotate like a rotisserie?  Or cut them a bit long and turn from the ends using a cant hook? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Escavader

I usually like to do the opposing faces first like on a 6 by 12 to avoid cranking up and down so far.i like the load strap.i also saw at bottom of my post "similar threads"i saw a pony clamp .i wonder if i could modify one with wood  on it or padding.white pine dents easy
Alan Bickford
Hammond lumber company/Yates American A20 planer with dbl profilers Newman feed table multiple saw trimmer destacker automatic stacking machine Baker resaw MS log corner machine  4 large capacity Nyles dehumidification kilns JCB 8000 lb forklifts woodmizer lt 15 and mp100 and blower

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Brad_bb on December 15, 2018, 09:53:57 AM
A 3 or 4 foot looped load strap and a bar to turn.  Mine is Hickory. I did break one on a big timber.  I typically turn cants by hand If I can and my off bearer helps me.  I only use the strap when it's too big to do by hand with the both of us.

I think this second pic was drawn by Jim Rogers.
Nope not me.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

Last summer on a job site the customer gave me one of these tools to use to roll over 10x10 posts. I didn't get a picture of the brand name of it but you could use something like this and add some wood pads to the brackets.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Escavader

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on December 15, 2018, 03:09:19 PM

Last summer on a job site the customer gave me one of these tools to use to roll over 10x10 posts. I didn't get a picture of the brand name of it but you could use something like this and add some wood pads to the brackets.

Jim Rogers
That looks similar to a pony clamp .thats kinda what am thinking.i also like the other ideas.im trying to mass produce these timbers,so speed is a factor too
Alan Bickford

Ljohnsaw

How about making a special lever/pry bar.  Think about a 2 prong pitch fork but made with some 1/2" square tube stock.  Bend the tips up about 90° or so.  Now place the fork so it straddles the log bunk and the tips of the fork (make them with a pivoting pad?) touch the near edge under the cant.  Pull the handle back and it will lift the cant up.  You might need to toss a block under the cant to support it while you re-position the fork.  Once you get it high enough and near the balance point, you can roll it over by hand.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Brad_bb

The strap works well.  You've got leverage on your side.  IF your load strap is a bit long for the perimeter of the cant, you just rotate the strap until you get it in proper position for your lever to be positioned properly.

Maybe I did draw that pic Jim, I just couldn't remember and I didn't want to post it and not give credit if you did.

Also, FYI I more often do the opposite of what is shown in the sketch.  If I'm on the non-operator side of the mill I rotate it down towards me.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!