iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic motor

Started by Firewoodjoe, February 16, 2019, 09:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

The rotator motor on my forwarder bucket won't hold a seal anymore. I'm going to buy a new motor but I'd like to protect it from the sudden pressure it sometimes gets. Any ideas. We used to do a loop or something in the hydraulic hoses going to the motor in circle slasher saws so when they got stuck in wood it wouldn't blow the seal but I can't remember how we did them.

Riwaka

Depends on the complexity of the hydraulic rotator motor you might purchase. A number of options.

These rotators appear to built in relief valves, (spring or hydraulic brakes) and  swing dampers.
https://www.blackbruin.com/media/Black_Bruin_Rotators_EN_C.pdf

or
separate MMRV (motor mount relief valves)
Motor Mount Valves

or
2 x auxiliary relief valves - teed into the rotator motor pressure lines and joined back to a return to reservoir line etc.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

backwoodsdave

Maybe a crossover relief like this https://www.surpluscenter.com/Brands/Prince-Mfg/3-4-NPT-30-GPM-1500-3000-PSI-Hydraulic-Cushion-Valve-9-4019-75-H.axd 
Not familiar with your machine but some old skidders  had a similar valve mounted in the boom for the grapple motor.

Firewoodjoe

Yes the Deere skidders have something like that. I thought we just ran another hydraulic hose from the supply to the return. Or is where that cushion valve would go. I think it's hard on the motor when I have large logs and I rotate it and stop. The logs have momentum and want to keep going. If that cushion valve will work I'll do that.

Firewoodjoe

It's a char-Lynn 101-1055-009

Corley5

Is there a relief built into the rotator?
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Firewoodjoe

Corley no it does not. Ilog4u hooked me up with a motor that had a cushion block on it. I will try it tomorrow and I hope it fits and don't leak. That will be great! Thanks again ilog4u!!

ilog4u2

Your welcome,! Glad I could be helpful

Firewoodjoe

That block is the cushion valve I'm guessing and it works good so far. Acts like a clutch slipping in rather than just taking off fast. My old motor actually cracked the top plate that holds the seal in. Not sure if it was due to not having the block or not.

mike_belben

Yeah theres check valves between the A and B port wall that let the high pressure side spill over to the low pressure side.  Its sort of like a momentary motor spool to dissipate the overrun load but still have the hold capacity of a cylinder spool, minus the shock load.  Its exactly what you needed. Thumbsup
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!