iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sthil 440 460

Started by millwright, July 18, 2011, 07:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

millwright

How much actual difference is there between the 440 and 460 as far as power and handling. It will mostly be used for felling large pine and spruce.

nlrwrangler

I love my 460.  They are the same weight and about a half horse difference.  If I am gonna carry the weight I want the most power.  I moved up from a 034 super to the 460 and the weight jump is a bunch on my back. 

Chase

nmurph

Sorry, this is not correct. There is 1lb of difference bw the 440 and 460. The 460 is about 2.75 lbs heavier than the 034S. These are actual weights, not factory specs. The 440 strikes a nice blend of weight and power as does the 372, both can pull a 24" bar well and a 28" if needed. The 034S/036 is very nice with a 20" bar and can pull a 24". 

OneWithWood

I have both.  The 440 gets used for jobs I want speed and the 460 for jobs requiring a bit more grunt and a longer bar. 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Al_Smith

Well since they went back to selling them they certainly are proud of them by the price they charge .It's like 50 bucks more than a 440 to go up to a 460 .

CT Trapper

Quote from: nmurph on July 19, 2011, 07:34:53 AM
Sorry, this is not correct. There is 1lb of difference bw the 440 and 460. The 460 is about 2.75 lbs heavier than the 034S. These are actual weights, not factory specs. The 440 strikes a nice blend of weight and power as does the 372, both can pull a 24" bar well and a 28" if needed. The 034S/036 is very nice with a 20" bar and can pull a 24". 

I had a feeling that they weren't quite honest with those two weighing exactly the same.
I'm contemplating between those 2 saws right now for my next buy. Expensive yeah...but I love em.

millwright

I guess thats the same conclusion I came to there isnt too much price difference between the two, and the weight isnt a major item.I guess Ill look to see which one I can get the best deal on. Thanks for the info.

Johnny

Quote from: Al_Smith on July 19, 2011, 02:01:53 PM
Well since they went back to selling them they certainly are proud of them by the price they charge .It's like 50 bucks more than a 440 to go up to a 460 .

hello Al Smith, did you mean to say that the 440 is for sale again?  2011 july? not been aware of that in the UK. john

Ed

Not sure about availibility in the UK, but yes, its for sale here for a limited time.

Ed

Al_Smith

Stihl never really quit making them ,they just couldn't sell them in North America .The same goes for the 038 Mag ,aka 380 .

Now from the info I get evidently it a had something to do with pollution levels on a whole reguarding all the units they sold collectively .In other words a certain number  that made less pollution in the eyes of the EPA and whatever Canada calls their enviro police and some of lesser numbers which did not .

It sounds to me kind of like when Ford had to sell 4 Pintos to one Lincoln because of "fleet " milage .They made little profit on the Pinto and a kings ransome on the Lincoln .

Evidently in my eyes Stihl is doing the same as Ford in the 70's .A highly reguarded saw so they are going to jack the price .Business as usual .

Al_Smith

Say that figure about a 440 price was list price a guy got from a dealer in Cincinnati Ohio ,special order ,connections  ;). Locally they don't even list them .However I checked on a 441 and it's 50 cheaper than a 440 ,100 cheaper than a 460 .

My bud the tree trimmer replaced a stolen 440 with a 441 and claims it to be better cutter than the stolen one .I ran it and it does fine but  to tell the truth with no 440 present I really can't compare .Nor for that matter can I compare either to one of my 038 Mags which is souped .Kind of an unfair advantage there .

OneWithWood

In my humble opinion, the 441 is a vastly superior saw to the 440, which is a darn good saw.  My 441 costs considerably more than my 440 when I purchased it a couple years ago.  I bought the 440 maybe 6 years ago.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

millwright

At this time Im running an o34 super and and o36 pro, so maybe the 441 would be the one to look at.. Thanks again.

Al_Smith

You aren't set up badly with what you have already if they run good .

I had an 034 with an 036 top end  and it really did pretty good for 60 cc .

Thank You Sponsors!