iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 045 Super/ 045 super vs 056 super

Started by JustWondering, November 06, 2011, 05:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustWondering

Hello everyone. A couple of things I have been wondering. One, is there any reason that a saw would chew through bar tensioners? I bought the saw two weeks ago and used it a few times. after the first use I noticed the bar did not keep its tension and when i examined it closer i found out that the bar tensioner was bent. I bought a Oregon replacement tensioner. After putting it in the saw and using it one time for about an hour, to an hour and a half and when i went to loosen the chain when i was done the tensioner was bent again. Anyone have ideas about what might be going on?
And two, my father owns an 056 super, and like is said i just bought an 045 super, can anyone give me some history on these saws, differences, which is better, ect. any and all information will be much appreciated :D

Thank you for your help!!!
Stihl 026
Stihl 036
Stihl ms460
Stihl ms 660
Stihl 045 Super (24")
TimberWolf TW5

sawguy21

They were both good saws in their day but heavy and slow by today's standards. Lots of torque though. The 056 is a brute with .404 chain, the 045 ran 3/8 was popular as a bucking saw in our interior woods.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

T Welsh

The supers lived in the 70,s then the magnums came in and so on. bent bar adjusting bolt? how is it getting bent ,can you give a little more info.even an after market adjuster should hold up. I always go with genuine Stihl replacement parts when I have to repair a saw! that way you know the quality. Tim

JustWondering

The chain tensioner has that "bead" that moves back and forth on the screw and both times it was bent on the far end of the screw. the end that you don't make the adjustments to. right where the bead was last, it is bent from where the bead is to the end. it puts a pretty good bend in it too. I'm quite confused as to how this is happening.
Stihl 026
Stihl 036
Stihl ms460
Stihl ms 660
Stihl 045 Super (24")
TimberWolf TW5

T Welsh

I take it that the screw itself is being bent not the(bead) or button head barrel that fits into the bar slot. are the bar nuts tight enough? if so I dont see what is happening to bend the screw all it does is adjust the tension on the bar and then the bar nuts are tightened and should hold. like I said before,use stihl parts. I would love to know why its doing this myself, only can think that its a cheap replacement screw not heat treated. Tim

smwwoody

A hard kick back or pulling too hard on the saw when it is pinched will bend the adj screw

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

T Welsh

Quote from: smwwoody on November 06, 2011, 09:07:55 PM
A hard kick back or pulling too hard on the saw when it is pinched will bend the adj screw

Woody   Thats the only way I could reason how a screw 6mm probably could get bent. all of the adj. screw I have seen have been hardened screws JustWondering, is your Oregon replacement screw hardened? Tim

JustWondering

Looking at the packaging that the tensioner cameos an I do not see anything saying it is hardened
Stihl 026
Stihl 036
Stihl ms460
Stihl ms 660
Stihl 045 Super (24")
TimberWolf TW5

Satamax

Justwon,dering, reminds me of an old 028av of a friend, the back bolt holding the bar was always comming lose, i repaired it. But that could have bent the tensioner.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

lumberjack48

This is just a question, are you making sure that the peg is in the bar before you tighten the bar up.

All so always hold the end of the bar up when you tighten the chain.

I know guys,  all old school stuff but you be surprised how many guys don't know this
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

islandlogger

I agree with Lumberjack48, it's amazing what alot of guys dont know and when trying to determine a problem it's best to ask all questions involved, even what might be obvious to us that use a saw all the time is not always the case with others. Something has to be tweaking that there unit to bend it....hopefully you can get to the bottom of it Justwondering!!!

JustWondering

Thinking the situation over, I am pretty sure I know what the problem was. When I finished and went to loosen the chain the back nut was loose combined with pinching my bar as I cut the stump I'm pretty sure that is how I stupidly bent my tensioner. Thanks for everything guys I must say the wealth of knowledge on this site is amazing .
Does anyone have any othe information about either chainsaw just so I could know the history a little better and well be more knowledgeable about my own saw. Has anyone used one still have one ect.
Stihl 026
Stihl 036
Stihl ms460
Stihl ms 660
Stihl 045 Super (24")
TimberWolf TW5

JustWondering

Would anyone by any chance have a 045 Super or 056 Super that they are looking to sell as a part saw?
Stihl 026
Stihl 036
Stihl ms460
Stihl ms 660
Stihl 045 Super (24")
TimberWolf TW5

Saw Dr.

I'd try Ebay for that one.  You may find an 1115 parts saw, but the ignitions for those are usually missing.  There were a couple of different versions, and they all had some failure issues.  Most folks will gobble up a parts saw just to get a good SEM flywheel.  Lucky for you, there are a couple of options for 54mm pistons.  Until recently, the 56mm magnum ones had not been reproduced. 
I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

JustWondering

Does any one know if all 056 models including the 056av have the side port exhaust ?
Stihl 026
Stihl 036
Stihl ms460
Stihl ms 660
Stihl 045 Super (24")
TimberWolf TW5

cuznguido

Somebody has a pair of 056's for sale on the Huntington, WV Craigslist, along with some spare parts.

wood monger

I had an 056av, got rid of it last year. I really liked the saw, it was a beast lots of power and torque. the problem was getting parts, I had spark problems, thought it was the coil. I couldN't find new one and was hesitant to buy used. I cut a 116 year old white oak with it before it started acting up. I ran 3/8's chain with a 3 foot bar. I couldn't push it but that saw just dug. We had an 056 super that we wouldn't let new guys run, for fear of them cutting their legs off. Back when I was in the tree business.

Thank You Sponsors!