iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belt driven saw for processor help

Started by HuZzEy, March 22, 2017, 10:50:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuZzEy

Hey all I've decided to start putting the parts together to make a firewood processor similar a Hudson wolverine A a simple design I got the steel and a half built 4' wood splitter that my grand father started. I'm going to make it so I slide the splitter frame for what length I'm cutting but to my actual question. I want To build a belt driven saw 3/8 pitch I was wandering if someone has built one and could post some pics just to give me some ideas thanks all       

ButchC

Hi, My shop built processor concept was based upon the wolverine also but on steroids. It has a belt driven saw. You can also look on my you tube channel (link is under my name). One video is walk around and there are two operating. Other pictures will take a spell because it is stored away from home.  I am running a .404 .080 processor bar and chain with 10 tooth drive sprocket.  I sped the drive up in two steps, about 4 to 1 off the engine clutch shaft to an electric mower clutch which is via two V-belts.  Then from the clutch it again is sped up about 2-1 via singular V-belt and pulleys.  The exact numbers have left me as it is about 6 years old but the sprocket shaft operates at approximately 8000 RPM no load and I can put the 20HP Hercules power unit in it's knees quite easily with just a touch of pressure on the bar. Some of the details are on on the videos, it's not a speed demon  due to the prime mover HP limitations but I run all my years wood in two short days,  and two more for my son.  If I upgraded the HP to around 50 I could process good logs as fast as most conventional units.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

GRANITEstateMP

HuZzEy,

I've got a Hakki Pilke 1x37 Processor.  This is a PTO powered unit that uses both hydraulics and belt drive.  The splitter and intake conveyor are hydro, the discharge conveyor and saw are a constant belt drive.  If you google it, you can find the parts breakdown for the processor and it's saw "head".  Mine uses .325 chain, but with a different sprocket you can accomplish the same thing.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

dave_dj1

Quote from: ButchC on March 22, 2017, 12:03:53 PM
Hi, My shop built processor concept was based upon the wolverine also but on steroids. It has a belt driven saw. You can also look on my you tube channel (link is under my name). One video is walk around and there are two operating. Other pictures will take a spell because it is stored away from home.  I am running a .404 .080 processor bar and chain with 10 tooth drive sprocket.  I sped the drive up in two steps, about 4 to 1 off the engine clutch shaft to an electric mower clutch which is via two V-belts.  Then from the clutch it again is sped up about 2-1 via singular V-belt and pulleys.  The exact numbers have left me as it is about 6 years old but the sprocket shaft operates at approximately 8000 RPM no load and I can put the 20HP Hercules power unit in it's knees quite easily with just a touch of pressure on the bar. Some of the details are on on the videos, it's not a speed demon  due to the prime mover HP limitations but I run all my years wood in two short days,  and two more for my son.  If I upgraded the HP to around 50 I could process good logs as fast as most conventional units.

Butch, I don't see the link to the youtube movies, can you provide it? I would love to see it, in fact I may have already seen it as I've looked at hundreds of them online. Thanks

One other question for all of you guys, how do you have the belt set up so that the chain doesn't spin all the time? Or does it?
thanks again

GRANITEstateMP

Chain on mine is always going.  That is a big drawback.  Mine also has a ton of safety shields, most of which are still in place!

This photo is with the saw down.  One belt runs the saw. 3 belts run off the PTO input pulley to the saw drive pulley.

Little better view
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

ButchC

On any of my posts look to the left under my forum handle and you will see a YouTube Icon click on it or my channel is "the38ac"
My chain drive is clutched.  I used a 12V mower clutch for a zero turn, I'd have to do some digging g to know which make and model.

Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Case W11B

HuZzEy

ButchC that thing you made is pretty unique. I found some pictures of a wolverine setup I'll try to put them on later. I'm still undecided for the power plant I got both gas and diesel kickin around the house I got a 14hp yanmar 3cyl and 16hp Briggs I also got a v2203 kubota but that's to big for what I'm making

dave_dj1

Thanks Butch. I never saw it before..lol
As it turns out I have in fact seen your processor in action, thanks for adding some details for me.

wiam

ButchC

I have had zero issues with the electric  clutch it self.  I'd guess it has 200 hours on it now.  
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Case W11B

wiam

ButchC

Yes there is a microswitch on the bar mount that starts and stops the chain automatically  when I raise and lower the bar and also a  bypass  that allows me to run it manually.  The mower clutch has been surprisingly durable but when I consider that my HP is no more than most zero turns these days I guess it should last a while? Also the inertia loading is much less on the processor as compared to a big mower deck. I am not certain of my power unit HP but it has to be less than 25HP.  It is very easy to put the powerunit on its knees  by adding a  it of down pressure on the bar and clutch slipping has never been an issue.  Actually  I purchased a high speed hydraulic motor and pump to convert the saw drive but have not had any reason to do the conversion.  For something built largely out of the scrap pile the processor has worked  very well. 
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Case W11B

wiam

Thanks ButchC. That's what I was hoping to hear. I'm trying to throw one together. 

Thank You Sponsors!