iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw horse assembly video

Started by Jim_Rogers, August 04, 2015, 03:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

I just posted a video showing how I assemble a saw horse design that I use.

Here is the link:

http://youtu.be/T9msLbvwNsc

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

MattJ

Nice video Jim. I liked that design from the class you taught. It was light, easy to build and very strong.

Matt

4x4American

Thanks for sharing Jim gonna make a couple today
Boy, back in my day..

tburch

Thanks for sharing Jim.  I appreciate all your posts.

On another topic...  since I observed it in your video... I see so many people triggering their screw gun on an off through a drive operation.  Why is that?  Does it work better?    I use a hitachi impact and I pull the trigger once until the screw is set.

To me, it's almost like the guy who feels compelled to "saw" his chainsaw back and forth while using it to cut through a log.   Doesn't make sense to me.

Todd (crawling back in my hole now...  ;)  ) 
Peterson 10" WPF with slabber. Cooks AC36 Diesel.
'94 Ford 4830 Diesel 2WD & FEL.  Norse 450 skid winch.  Logrite fetching arch.  Fransgard Forestry Grapple.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: tburch on August 07, 2015, 03:54:21 PM
I see so many people triggering their screw gun on an off through a drive operation.  Why is that?  Does it work better?   

I don't know why others do it.
I don't know why I do it.
I just think I do it so that I can watch the wood and if I see it start to crack I could stop and drill a pilot hole.

Jim Rogers

PS. And I don't know if it's better or not. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Brad_bb

Great use of your  extra lower grade boards!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

4x4American

I noticed it too, I thought it was different than how I use my drill!  don't judge me and I won't judge you!  Cause we all get judged in the end!
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Thanks Jim for this sawhorse design.  It is much different than any that I have ever seen.  I like it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

Last weekend, while I was assembling two at a weekend workshop, Matt (Upinatree) asked me how many of them have I made. He estimated at least 100. I said it was most likely more like 50.

I have almost a dozen here now. And I make them just about every where I go. I know Steve Smith as some as well as VictorH.

I'm sure I'll be making some more in Kansas next week. I don't seem to ever have enough to put everything together.

Ponies are nice for using the boring machine and or chain mortiser.

Same design just shorter legs.

Jim Rogers

PS. free plan for anyone who needs a copy. Just email me or pm me your email address and I'll send you the drawing(s).
I believe I have posted them here before. But I don't know what thread they are in.

Brad_bb

Using my 15 pairs of timberframing sawhorses last week and this coming week to stain T&G.  After the first day I realized that I could double my saw horse capacity simply by screwing 8ft 2x4's to the top of the horses.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

jimparamedic

Very nice. now I need to make a few pairs.

Gilman

QuoteI see so many people triggering their screw gun on an off through a drive operation.  Why is that?

When applying torque to a screw, the drive bit will begin to torque out of the screw head.  If you watch the video again, in the beginning Jim "cams" the screw a couple of times and then increases the stop-start frequency.  Afterwards the "cam" problem stopped.

When you stop your drill, the drive bit will reseat itself into the bottom of the screw head.

People don't do this with impact drives because the drill is doing the start-stop cycle 100's of times a minutes.  That's one of the great benefits of impact drivers.

Jim just had to get himself calibrated to the stop-start frequency he needed.  Most people do this without know why they are doing it.

Thanks for the post Jim.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

thechknhwk

Made me some Jimmy horses today, thanks.

Jim_Rogers

woodworker9

Well, I woke up this morning, and on my quick and dirty list was making some more saw horses for the shop and around the mill.  It started raining early, so it got pushed off until tomorrow.

And then I saw your video......thank you very much.  I like your design better than the ones I made before.  Yours seems much stronger.

Jeff   ;)
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

woodworker9

I made two, and they are great.  I made them from some ash that I just sawed over the weekend.  I'm gonna make some more this weekend.

Thanks for posting this.  It takes about 20 minutes to screw it all together with no helping hands.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

4x4American

I made a bunch of them.  Some out of 5/4 and 6/4 for added sturdiness
Boy, back in my day..

stumax

Thanks Jim,

I have 8 of these saw horses following your design and they are very strong and are very durable.  I ended up building mine out of discontinued deck boards from my local box store and using any scrap lumber I could find in the garage for the gussets which consisted of plywood shelving, osb scrap and some 2 x 6 pressure treated as well as the discontinued deck boards.  They are great saw horses and I got the cost to build down to three for around $20.

-Stu

PineHill4488

Mr. Rogers,

A question about the timberframe saw horse. Suppose I wanted to make the top longer than three feet, how much should I move the mortise?

Greg
Fall 2013 purchased Stihl MS 660 and an Alaskan 36" mill, am happy with the setup, hobbyist not a volume producer, have milled oak, hickory, yellow pine, and power poles.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: PineHill4488 on June 01, 2016, 05:00:11 PM
Mr. Rogers,

A question about the timberframe saw horse. Suppose I wanted to make the top longer than three feet, how much should I move the mortise?

Greg

Greg:
Which saw horse design are you using?

Jim Rogers

PineHill4488

Heavy Duty Trestle Style Saw Horse
Fall 2013 purchased Stihl MS 660 and an Alaskan 36" mill, am happy with the setup, hobbyist not a volume producer, have milled oak, hickory, yellow pine, and power poles.

Jim_Rogers

Keep the mortises the same distance from the ends just add wood in between.

Jim Rogers

PineHill4488

Thank You Sponsors!