iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electronic ear protection recommendations?

Started by Jcotrel1, December 07, 2019, 07:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jcotrel1

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend an electronic ear muff such as Walker's Game Ear for use with chainsaws and other equipment. Most of the reviews refer to use with shooting. I'm not sure how good they are with machinery. 

Thanks!
Jim

WV Sawmiller

What is wrong with regular shooters ear muffs? That is what I use. I have one pair in the ATV for use with my chainsaw and another hanging on my mill and another hanging on my lawnmower. I should keep a pair on my outboard motor in my boat.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

lxskllr

Hard to beat the simplicity of "analog" muffs. They Just Work® without relying on electromechanicals that can break or run out of power.

Jcotrel1

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 07, 2019, 08:40:37 AM
  What is wrong with regular shooters ear muffs? That is what I use. I have one pair in the ATV for use with my chainsaw and another hanging on my mill and another hanging on my lawnmower. I should keep a pair on my outboard motor in my boat.
I'm looking to get them as a Christmas present. I like the idea of being able to have a conversation without taking them off and protect your ears at the same time. 

Texas Ranger

years ago I picked up a pair of Sonic ear plugs, cut the big booms but still could hear conversation. 

Robot Check
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

Much depends upon the size/shape of the ear canal.  For example, my right ear canal is much larger than my left, so my earplugs are modified a bit so that each earplug seals properly.  Yes, I have tried dozens of different designs, makes, and models and it can be difficult knowing and being certain that the earplug is actually providing the necessary noise prevention.  Be aware that ear protection can also gradually loosen or loose it's seal and you may not be aware of it so you may be sawing without any or very little protection. 

My normal sawing weather is much too hot to even consider muffs so I must rely on earplugs.

I realize that I did not directly address your question regarding "electronic" protection, but even electronic protection must fit properly to provide protection.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Jcotrel1 on December 07, 2019, 08:56:29 AM
Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 07, 2019, 08:40:37 AM
I'm looking to get them as a Christmas present. I like the idea of being able to have a conversation without taking them off and protect your ears at the same time.
Yes but when I put my ear muffs on it is a visible sign I am am working and not talking. I don't want to be running a mill or chainsaw and try to hold a conversation at the same time. I don't think that is safe. I will do one or the other and if talking I shut off the machine and remove my ear muff.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

The real advantage is shooting and still being able to hear voice.  for instruction or safety.   they work great.  I have a set from 3M.  it can amplify voice and nearly completely muffle a shot before you hear it.  (goes without saying I guess, but too late).  in the shop the digital subtraction is on all the time so you do not hear voice, so they become more like a regular pair of hearing protection.  I keep mine in a case, has to be powered up ect.  so for in the shop, 3 pair of regular ones hang on a hook by the planer.  I use them with the planer and occasionally lift a muff, so I can hear the machine.  My first clue when my planer knives are getting dull, is it gets louder.  I get hearing protection at Fastenal, and I bought the electronic ones via Amazon.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

I also have the foam ones and they are better than nothing.  my ears are important for my work, and lots of the old guys I worked with as a young man, can barely understand me now in their 70s.  (hearing loss).

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ed_K

Yrs ago we had a thread here of a company named Bilsom. If you contacted them they would send a compliment of their product. We did a get a box with ear protection of all sorts. The ear muffs where exceptional an it didn't take long for Rita to adopt them. I can't remember how long ago we got the kit but she is still using them. I used the ear plugs inside my hardhat muffs when running the detroit made quite the difference. The only complaint and is not of the company but in summer wearing plugs my ears fill with sweat and it's not long before I get an infection.
Ed K

Ford_man

I tried a set about 20 years ago they done a good job but the battery's reduced the area inside the muff to the point it made my earlobes hurt I was working in a stamping department. They used 2 aaa battery's. they may be using watch battery now. 

bushhog920

I have Bose aviation headsets that I use when flying private airplanes and they are worth every penny of the $1,000 pricetag. Active noise reduction ANR works when you turn it on it is like someone hit a mute button. When I forget to turn it on I'm thinking something is wrong with the plane it is so much louder. I've been looking for a industrial pair and the only ones I have found are cheap with bad reviews. Too bad I be willing to pay hunderds of dollars for a good pair. 

barbender

Ed, when I run my Detroit powered skidder I can't get enough layers of ear protection!😁 Gosh I wish I could quiet that thing down!

I've been a faithful wearer of hearing protection throughout my years of running heavy equipment. Also, when using firearms. I find that I am less fatigued and have a better mood when wearing earplugs, and I'm a better shot, too. I read somewhere once that half the percieved kick of a gun is the muzzle blast. You minimize that and it gets rid of a lot of flinching. To a point- a big magnum caliber rifle hurts either way😁
Too many irons in the fire

clearcut

At the other end of the "electronic" headphones, I use a pair of Howard Leight SYNC Passive Noise Blocking Hearing Protection Stereo Earmuffs.  OK stereo headphones with a 25 Noise Reduction, and a aux cord input. Simple, effective, and inexpensive. Comfortable for several hours on all but really hot days.

When my phone lost its headphone jack, and I lost the dongle that was supposed to replace the headphone jack — again, I plugged in a BlueTooth receiver stuck to the outside with a magnet.

Works well if you don't have to listen to someone else, or prefer not to. You can make or receive a phone call in this configuration, but the position and poor quality of the microphone in the BlueTooth receiver, especially in a noisy environment, significantly reduces call quality from your end. Which also works well if you don't have to talk to someone else, or prefer not to. Mostly listen to audiobooks, podcasts, music while working, and can clearly hear the text message ding. That is all I need.

I have never found a foam style earplug, that fits properly in my right ear. 3M, Howard Leight, Bilsom, dollar store special (met my very low expectations) , and many others. Open to suggestion here.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

donbj

Quote from: clearcut on April 12, 2020, 05:56:18 PMI have never found a foam style earplug, that fits properly in my right ear. 3M, Howard Leight, Bilsom, dollar store special (met my very low expectations) , and many others. Open to suggestion here.

Interesting. I'm the same. My right ear is the weird one to fit but I use Decidamp plugs and loved them though not always readily available where I am. I've bought many varieties and still find decidamps worked the best for me. Maybe the type of foam or something. I always have a pair in my pocket so always handy.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

alan gage

I've found that I personally prefer something that knocks the noise of chainsaws and power equipment down to reasonable levels but still allows me to hear well what's going on. I like to hear if the equipment is starting to bog down or struggle. I keep multiple pairs of those banded ear plugs in the shop, in the skid loader, in vehicles, and at the sawmill. I can almost always find a pair when I need them. They're cheap, handy, and I find them plenty comfortable. They hang unnoticed around my neck when not in use.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Thank You Sponsors!