iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

roadrunners, greater

Started by drobertson, January 18, 2013, 07:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

I have been watching a road runner for over a year now. I am in south central missouri, and am amazed that this bird is still here. I am quite sure it is the same bird, same area, just 100 yards from the house. there is some clearing from a storm a few years ago, and some dozing, but it just amazes me that this guy or gal, is still around, anyone else had a similar sitiuation?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Dan_Shade

I'm sorry, I can't help myself:

meep meep
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

doctorb

Certainly you've also seen the Wil E. Coyote! ;D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

drobertson

Just at dawn this morning, sneaking around the coop, missy came in to do her job and ran it off. Too dark for a shot, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

drobertson

I remember those, my brother is a mopar fanatic, had several, the last was the 71 challenger, 383,  stout !

clww

I had no idea that road runners (the ones with feathers) were that far east. I've only seen them in the desert areas on the left coast.
If you road runners and coyotes, I'd be watching the sky when walking around outdoors. Be mindful of falling anvils, boulders, and safes. :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

drobertson

:D :D :D Right, I am positive it is a road runner, tail and raily, lives in and around a small cedar thicket. been here over a year, only see it just every so often. ?? I thought they were desert birds too. I wonder if one of the wind storms a few years back blew it in.

clww

I just looked the bird up on wiki. There was a map showing distribution of the species, and MO appeared to be the eastern border of the species. While reading, it states that the bird is the largest member of the cuckoo in North America, and that they are capable of weak, short flights. 
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

beenthere

Looked it up too. It is a roadrunner, not a road runner  ;D

Here is a site for a range map.
http://www.birdzilla.com/birds/Greater-Roadrunner/distribution.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

Kent, thanks for the link! nice,

treefarmer87

I didn't think they would be this far east too. I thought they were a desert creature ???
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

sawguy21

We are seeing species that should not be this far north. Wild turkeys in southern B.C, and antelope in the central grass lands of Alberta. There have also been reports of grizzly bears and polar bears getting cozy producing interesting results.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SPIKER

When I was stationed at Edwards AFB (2 years) there were a few out there & one was loving the sprinklers.   I worked 2nd shift and usually up pretty early anyhow and would set watching him/her and eventually started tossing toast or popcorn out a bit at a time till it was fun it would circle out 20 or 30 feet come a bit closer and run in and grab a hunk & RUN back out.    ruffle it's feathers and make a dash for some more.   never got it friendly enough to hand feed it but after 2 years it learned I was a pretty good free meal!.  :D ;D.   I like hard boiled egg yokes pretty well too.   one day it left a lizard poo on my car hood.   I probably could have had a full lizard skeleton if I had patience to glue it back together. :-X :D

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

drobertson

Seen her again, thinking it is a female, after studing pics, I believe this bird to be a female. wish I could see her mate.   Must be some good habitat for her here. 

pappy19

I used to see them years ago in Ruston, Louisiana when I was attending forestry school at Louisiana Tech.It was a real novelty to see them back then, but in my visits to New Mexico they really have a good population.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Cypressstump

While I lived in outside Albq. N.M., the roadrunners were sorta neat at first,,, until they started robbing the nests of my yard friendly nesting pairs of mouring doves. The RR's would take the eggs, and then dove babies later,if there were any left.
The roadrunners soon became targets of some not-so-accurately thrown rocks. They do make an interesting call, sorta of a cackle sound. They make a funnier sound running away from my off target projectiles.... ::)
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Road Runner

There has been one around my house for years. 
WM LT40G25, Kubota MX5100, Husqvarna 365 & R460

doctorb

In South Carolina?  I'm gonna have to say "I don't think so."  Probably a Brown Thrasher.  Sort of a look alike to a Roadrunner.  As a member of the Thrush family, like a Robin, it spends much of its time on the ground.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

WDH

I used to see them all the time in Georgia when I was a kid watching TV.  It always seemed that a coyote was chasing them.  He never did catch one, though. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doctorb

:D :D :D  Hadn't considered that explanation!   ;D ;D

drobertson

I saw her again, thinking a female, not very coloful, heading to the field, I have misplace the camera, yea, I did,  but aim on getting some pics, she (or whatever the sex) is here to stay for sure, I will hunt for pics, season for everything is for the most part over, and well I am not quite done I guess, so check back and I will work on this, back is out, but this bird has a very specific path, I can wait it out without too much trudging. I will say pretty cool bird, they are fast! and stop fast too!  My cell phone is a flipper, not very good at photos, plus I can't get them on the computer, (motorolor, quantanamo) if anyone knows how to do it, 

Road Runner

doctorb,  maybe you missed my handle or it may have been a bad attempt at a joke.  I did some graduate work in ornithology so I'm pretty sure I'm a Road Runner.
WM LT40G25, Kubota MX5100, Husqvarna 365 & R460

doctorb

Got me!  My bad!  I am stupid, stupid, stupid!  Some days I don't give my brain a walk. :D :D

WDH

You are a sly one, Road Runner  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!