iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Special wrench- S shaped

Started by johncinquo, September 17, 2003, 02:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johncinquo

Anybody know where I can get a wrench that is shaped like an S, but not sideways, up and down.  If looking at it from the top holding it in your hand with the box end flat, it would go down and away.  I need it to be able to reach down inside a shock tower to hold the nut while I remove the bolt from the top.  I have tried every wrench I have to no avail.  I swear I have seen these before, but I checked craftsman, snap on, and the auto parts store to no avail.  Needs to be 17MM.  If I don't find one I am going to take the torch and vice to mine, but I dont think sears will take it back after that!  I swear, the engineers who design these things should be forced to work on them sometimes.  Ever try and get an oil filter out of a late 90's mercury?  You better have 3 elbows.  
My ole dodge (97) is in need of some shock work and I am having a heck of a time getting it apart.
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Fla._Deadheader

Got a torch???  Know someone that does???  I have several "modified wrenches".
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Modifying a wrench is a whole lot cheaper them buying a "specialty" tool. I have several "Modified" tools too.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jason_WI

Go to harbor freight and buy a cheap wrench set. Like FL_DH mentioned a torch and some creative blacksmithing will get you what you need.

We have numerous custom tools that we have made over the years on the farm.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Kevin

biziedizie

Hey I got a set of those, used to use them in the old days to get to the bolts that hold down the distributors on car/truck motors.

Steve

Fla._Deadheader

I don't believe that's what he wants??? More like a deepwell wrench???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

biziedizie

Ohhhh now I know what your talking about 8) I some of dem wrenches that bend the other way but I don't think they make them anymore :P
  Got an idea why don't ya hold the shock piston with grips and take the impact to the bolt and wa-la off it comes. That's the way we used to do them. If they were a real pain we would just torch them.

Steve

Bibbyman

I have a distributor wrench that bent that way and could be driven by a 3/8" socket wrench but it is something like 9/16" and was specific to that application.

I have one old antique wrench that I put in a special place because it was something like 13/16" and only 6" long.  It was the only tool I could get to the backside of a bolt on the 94 Wood-Mizer.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

woodmills1

yes the only ones i have that are bent that way were originally sold as distributor wrenches.  Of course that was long before american metric.  Ifin a crows foot won't work then bend up ona your less valuable mm wrenches.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

OneWithWood

I agree.  A torch and creative smithing is what you need.  I made jsut such a wrench to get to the back nut sevuring the diesel injector pump on my JD450.  Took my cheapest wrench, cut off one end, heated it and bent it to the desired angle, then smoothed off the rough edge with the grinding wheel.  Now that wrench is in the specialty tool drawer.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

johncinquo

Ah man, I figered one of you guys would have a source for something like what I need.  Kevin, those are the idea, but they have to go up and down not left and right if that makes sense.  I think most of you got what I meant.  I will look at the crows foot you mentioned and see if I can get that to work.  Other wise looks like a little heat and force are about to go to work on a cheap extra wrench.  I am not trying to undo the shock itself yet, you have to get the tower that mounts over it off to get the shock out.  Quite a contraption.  If you have seen a factory lifted late model dodge yo uwill see what I mean.
Have to laugh as well, the ole craftsman ratchet broke last night so back to sears to get a new one anyway.  
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Furby

I'm not sure if they have the size you need, and it's been a while, but I've seen them in the plumbing dept. at Menards, Home Depo, and so on.

biziedizie

Furby??? You back man??? Where ya been???

Steve

Furby

I've been here on and off, just don't have time to post so I don't bother to log in much. I don't have internet access at home anymore, so it's hard to find time to get online for other then my email.
I just checked at Menards and the guy I talked too said they stopped carrying the wrenches a few years back, sorry. They do however have a basin wrench that's really handy. Just cross a pair of channel locks with a universal socket. Works good on hard to reach things.

rebocardo

You can find these wrenches at www.snapon.com - under wrenches of course :-D  I think MAC has them too.

Wrench, Metric, Box, Standard Length, 60° Deep Offset, 10-11 mm, 12-Point

They come in all types of sizes and sets. This is just an example.

johncinquo

tried those.  Not enough drop, or length forward after the bend.  If I add up what I have spent in new tools at Sears on this I could have paid Joes Garage to do the job I guess.  Course then I wouldnt have all the new fancy tools!  Let see, tried the crows foot, not long enough to get the ratchet extension on it to hold it.  Tried a new fancy kinda universal socket, couldnt fit it between the flanges with the extension (same problem as the regular socket and U joint).  tried channel locks and numerous vice grips, dont fit.  tried a new shorty set of box end wrenches, I can get insode the shock tower with these ones, but then the dang flange gets in the way!  My next attempt will be to take my angle grinder and flatten off the side of the bolt that sticks out, and hold the bolt with crescent on top, then turn the nut with a box end wrench.  Once I get it up to where the nut interferes with holding the bolt, I will have to grab the bolt with a small set of channel locks.  Course this will mess up the bolt and it will have to be replaced.  Once I get the shock tower off, I will weld new bolts on the inside so I can just take them off from the top.  Now why didnt the engineers do that in the first place?
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

isawlogs

Had they done that in the first place you would not be having all this great time agravating yourself on how and why they did this. :D ;D ;D ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

rebocardo

I have not worked on a Dodge for a while, but, I have a few questions/suggestions that has worked on Fords and Chevies.

Is there enough room to fit a sawzall metal cutting blade between the shock body and the shock mount so you can cut the stud. Then just take the nut and remaining piece of the stud out with your fingers?

If there is enough room on the stud, put two nuts on the stud. Tighten one down against the other, then hold the top one with a wrench while turning the shock nut.

Other question, since I have done this on other trucks ... is there a plastic fender skirt that can be pulled back and the wrench put on the shock from the engine compartment? Some trucks even come with a little cut out in the skirt so you can get a wrench on it from the engine side.

If the shirt was plastic, I would use a hole saw, drill a hole, then stick my impact wrench down and take or break the nut off the stud.

If you do not want the shock body to turn use a plumbers pipe/monkey wrench.

IMERC

This probably a day late and a dollar short but the wrenches everybody is talking about are:
Distributor wrenches 3 shapes
Starter wrenches 4 shapes
srearing gear box 2 types, 3 shapes
Crow foot
Shapes include straight, high offset, C, S or combinations there of.
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Thank You Sponsors!