iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best Ratchet Straps for Timber Framing

Started by jb9, February 03, 2018, 05:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb9

Hello,

I am contemplating purchasing some ratchet straps/come-a-longs for Timber Framing (fit up and raisings).  Can anyone make any suggestions as to what types are the most versatile?  I am also interested to know how to determine the length I will need.

Here is a link showing a few different types:

https://www.uline.com/BL_3877/Ratchet-Tie-Downs

Thanks in advance.

Don P

I prefer flat hook 2x 27'. The hooks can nest in each other without dinging soft timbers the way U hooks can.

Roger Nair

From my pov, I used rated eye slings, endless loops and quality cable pullers rated for hoisting.  The load binders used by truckers are not designed for lifting applications and I could not use possibly ill designed material for lifting.  I think if you are headed into the realm of the business of timber framing then get lifting gear for lifting use.

Judge for yourself, go to an industrial supply house and compare the construction of a 2000 pound rated Lug-all hoist against a 10,000 pound truckers strap.  Quality costs dear but a Lug-all is a supported product by dealers with replacement parts and will with good care last a lifetime.

Rated slings and loops have rated stitching with wear indication threads.

An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

Clover

Truckers load binders are load rated and certified as such. But they are just that, binders not lifters. I'm not talking about the one for you pick-up truck.  Even "come alongs" are are not lifting rated, only pulling rated. If either is used for lifting then they are used at your own risk. That being said, I have few lifting rated tools. I do have some small chainfalls rated for two tons but I trust my binders and pullers more than those dinky things.  I've got a fairly large assortment of lifting nylon slings but a few are retired from lifting and only used for pulling logs out of the bush. Common sense, planning, looking ahead for problems and safety first all go a long way when using non rated devices. I have one more project to complete for myself and will not be using "rated" lifting devices.  My gin pole won't be rated either lol.
The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Home made 30 hp sawmill all hydraulic, stihl 026, 170, pioneer 65, John Deere 955 with home made forks. And a whole slew of other tools

Don P

I'll back up. I was thinking fit up when I wrote that. Those flat hooks nest well for drawing things up but there isn't a good way to sling them to lift by. With the local crane and boom guys we talk about what I'm picking up and they bring that lifting gear. I have picked up plenty of stuff with junk too. One trashed shoulder was largely a come along that failed to fully catch in an overhead lift and dropped the load. It certainly wasn't the come along at fault. As always the most important piece of gear is between your ears.

jb9

I am looking at the flat hook ratchets from Kinedyne:

http://www.kinedyne.com/products/100/3-inch-webbing-long-handle.html#product-list

I think with a fixed cable loop, the flat hooks could oppose each other.  I called and asked if they could nest inside each other and they said it was possible as well.  They were a little hesitant because I had to convince them the timbers would be laying down.

starmac

What I want to know is where you guys find 10,000 pound truckers load straps. I know scads of truckers that would love to have some.

The truckers type ratchet straps run out of room on the spool to be of much use, unless you are only trying to hold something tight.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Clover

Quote from: starmac on February 05, 2018, 05:12:09 PM
What I want to know is where you guys find 10,000 pound truckers load straps. I know scads of truckers that would love to have some.

The truckers type ratchet straps run out of room on the spool to be of much use, unless you are only trying to hold something tight.

I don't think anyone was saying there are 10,000 pound strap binders? Chains maybe but this is about using strap binders. I thought they usually max out 5-6000 pounds? The first ratchet strap binders i bought were from a truck supply shop. I needed them for trees when i had tree spades. Its not legal to use uncertified binders of any type here. Heck you can even get a ticket for unsafe load with your pickup here if you *pithed them off. Thats using the flimsy stuff for somthing its not intended.
The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Home made 30 hp sawmill all hydraulic, stihl 026, 170, pioneer 65, John Deere 955 with home made forks. And a whole slew of other tools

starmac

The normal 4 inch straps are only good legally to tie down 4000 pounds, but are rated to 5000 pounds. I do not ever recall 10,000 pound rated ones. The industry standard used to be 12000 pound straps, but they went by the wayside when the dot changed the laws to 4,000 pounds, as far as I know you can not even buy the good heavy straps anymore.

The 2 inch straps  a lot of folks like to use are good for 2500 pounds legally. again to tie a load down, they are not rated to lift anything that I know of.

The problem with trying to lift or even move anything with them, is the rachet only has room to take out the slack, it does not work to move anything more than a few inches at best.

Roger Nair

As to 10,000 lbs ratchet straps, the first post in this topic had a link that claimed a 10,000 load rating on a few of the straps.  I believe that is a nonsense rating regarding lifting bents and trusses.  Besides that, load binders properly attach to a trailer frame, mimicking load binders that are welded onto a trailer frame and operated by a 3 ft. bar to apply leverage to the ratcheted drum, in other words a minimal substitution.
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

starmac

Generally the welded on winches are for 4 in straps, 4,000 pound tie down limit. They do make 4 in ratchet straps very similar to the 2 in ratchets just larger, they are also good to tie down 4000 pounds.

There are certified lifting straps in many different pound ratings, but any that I know of can not be used with a ratchet or  winch.

Clover

I have good certified 3" binders that I use on my tandem axle. Good for 3500, i can make them sing with just the ratchet handle. I dont know why or if i could go any tighter witha 3' bar

jb9

I decided to buy two sets of Kinedyne ratchet straps with wire hooks.  I am getting a 2" webbing set and a 3" webbing set.  Both 30' in length.  I am also going to get two Liftex Flat Eye Web Slings that I can use as a basket hitch to lift my plates on raising day.  I can also use the Flat Eye Web Slings to extend the range of the Kinedyne ratchet straps should I need to pull two pieces together during fit up/raising.

Based on what I have researched, this should be a reasonable amount of rigging to own.

Thank You Sponsors!