iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1980 Franklin transmission replacement

Started by boltbender, February 28, 2011, 10:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boltbender

I posted this question some time back, with no response, so I am going to try again.  I have a 1980 "185" Franklin skidder that I completely redid about four years ago and the P-4 350 transmission has gone out twice after two "complete" rebuilds.  I have found out that this transmission was a weak unit, noted for going bang.  I was told that a P-4 375 transmission would solve the problem but I cannot find one .  I would welcome any advice as to what other route that I can take.  Thanks

beenthere

boltbender
You could just add the second post to your first, and that also brings it forward.

Sounds like some bad luck with the tranny. Hard to get good bearings?

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,47221.msg678366.html#msg678366
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lumberjack48

boltbender you have a lot in that Franklin, i have never worked on a Franklin automatic. I have worked on a Funk 4 speed automatic.

Have they told you what is the cause for spiting bearings out?
For every failure there is a cause, what caused it, or what was the reason for the failure.
Find out what the difference is between the 350 and the 375, it might just be a simple up grade on your 350

There has to be a good reason for it to keep busting bearings, somebody knows, i hope there on here.

When your fully loaded with it, its pedal to the medal or you will have tran failure, this keeps the trok locked up, and the oil cool, 99% of tran failure is heat [ i know old news ]

You can put anybody on a C5 stick shift, they have to know how to run a power shift or the tran won't last one day.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

redlaker1

ya the more information the better,   was it bearings going?   or was it smoking clutch packs?     not sure if you did the rebuild yourself or if you took it to a shop.  if you took it to a shop then hopefully they let you know what failed.

treefarmer87

there is a franklin 185 in tennessee @ delke equipment
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Thank You Sponsors!