iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mice

Started by Autocar, November 29, 2017, 06:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Iam logging in a little woods that have houses on the road frontage of it. Every tree Ive cut has had a dozen or more mice running up and down the bark popping out of little holes. I cut a hollow hard maple for a land owner there and it was out in the middle of his back yard. The grass was maybe a inch long about like a golf course. I took my axe and pounded on it thinking a small owl might be in this hole but nothing . So I cut it down and when it hit the ground there was over a dozen mice running across the yard. Ive never seen so many mice any where Ive ever logged in my whole life. I told the guy I would lone him a few cats and in the back of my head I was thinking o boy by by kittys , but he passed on my offer  :D.
Bill

coxy

last winter I cut a few birch that was hollow and the same thing mice every where it was fun chasing them with the saw and watching them fly 

LaneC

Man makes plans and God smiles

LeeB

Lots of mice add up to lots of snakes in my neck of the woods. >>>>8>
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Texas Ranger

Quote from: LeeB on December 02, 2017, 07:38:49 AM
Lots of mice add up to lots of snakes in my neck of the woods. >>>>8>

Wont hold a candle to the proliferation of snakes around a rice paddy down here.  Used to have to walk the paddy burns to check property isolated by the paddies, the grass would move in front of you with reptiles of various descriptions, snakes, frogs and lizards.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sandhills

A neighbor had a few cribs of old corn to shell one year that rats had moved into real bad, when he shelled it he put a little push mower out there and started it, first thing the rats did upon running out was look for cover and guess where they found it.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: sandhills on December 02, 2017, 10:20:02 AM
A neighbor had a few cribs of old corn to shell one year that rats had moved into real bad, when he shelled it he put a little push mower out there and started it, first thing the rats did upon running out was look for cover and guess where they found it.

I've seen that happen with snakes several times when mowing. Usually mowing along a stone wall. It must look inviting under the mower.  :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

This Winter I've been catching, on average, one mouse a week ever since the first snowfall!

This year it's only been deer mice, somehow they get into my basement!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sandhills

Chuck, much to my wife's dismay we get snakes in our basement, she'd rather have the mice but I told her that's why we don't have any mice  :D.  You can about imagine how well that little comment went over.  I've watched her bait hooks with nightcrawlers bigger than some of the snakes I've caught in the basement but she's scared to death of snakes.

petefrom bearswamp

Mice here at home and at my adk camp have been a real problem this yr.
have probably caught 30 at camp, 30 to 35 in my shop and even 2 in the basement of the house.
Maybe i should import some snakes.
I am trying to tighten the house up.
chuck I too get mice on a weekly basis sometimes more than a couple.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

goose63

I have 10 out side cats and 2 in side cats ain't seen a mouse in a year or two  ;D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

petefrom bearswamp

I would rather cope with the mice thank you very much
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

coxy

Grizzly

I despised cats until my daughters forced me to have a couple around. (Who says no to cute daughters???) But then I discovered that if you go to the effort of having somewhat tame cats that you can keep their health good; they really aren't bad at all! I've even been seen petting a cat or even inviting one up for a scratch. An old dog learned something new.  :D

But we have cats, weasels, fox, and snakes taking care of mice.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

goose63

coxy and peter you are more than welcome  to come over here and deal with Nancy when she see's the mouse'

I would rather put up with a few cats than Nancy when she is mad  ;D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

pineywoods

Wife woke me up in the middle of the night..There's a mouse under the dresser...Sure enough, not one but 2 firmly stuck to the sticky trap I keep under there. Them sticky traps are the cat's meow  ;D I keep a couple in the likely places. Not only gets mice, but all manner of bugs, spiders etc..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

petefrom bearswamp

Stickies also work for the snakes that try to come down our outside cellar way.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Chop Shop

When I saw cedar logs with rotten center cores, the mice will come running out while in the middle of a cut.

WV Sawmiller

Our vector control people put out sticky pads in the hootches in Afghanistan. Troops bringing candy and snacks in the rooms attracted mice all the time. One time a mouse got caught on a glue board and was squealing and attracted a 4' cobra which also got wrapped up in the glue and made for an exciting period for our vector guy. I suspect that was one of his more memorable experiences over there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

petefrom bearswamp

Holy cow
My wife took my cast iron pan out of the oven tonight and ther were mouse turds in it
woe is me
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

petefrom bearswamp

2 more in my bucket trap in the shop this AM
None on the stickies in the house tho thank the lord.
Pickle them?
we used to call mustard mouse turd when I was a kid
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

sprucebunny

I had the hood of my car up the other day to check the oil. Look over to the right and there is a nice fat brown mouse sitting on the inside edge of the fender. It disappeared down an opening.
Did my darnedest to get lots of water down all the openings. Don't know what else to do ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

DelawhereJoe

You should set a trap or 2 inside your car, or better yet some poison so it can die in your car vents.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

petefrom bearswamp

Count in the shop is now 40, no more in the house thank goodness.
I'm working on mouse proofing my truck.
Buggers got in a second time this yr and nested on top of the cabin filter.
Taking the plastic cowl off and hopefully putting heavy duty 1/4 inch galv mesh over the intake.
only problem is getting the windshield wiper arms off, they are bolted on and looks like I need some type of puller.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!