iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clearing Saws

Started by lxskllr, March 18, 2019, 03:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thriceor

The Husqvarna Balance XT is the one I use.  It takes a bit of adjusting, but definitely distributes the load better than the Stihl harness.  The only problem I've had with the XT is that the chest buckle tends to bow out and then the underside presses against my sternum.

I know it's been mentioned before, but good eye protection and a face screen are necessary with these saws, they can throw chips all about.  I find the saw quite fun to use, until I start to wear out. 
...I'd rather trust a man who works with his hands,
He looks at you once, you know he understands...

Genesis- "The Chamber of 32 Doors"

lxskllr

Saw's ordered, and should be in next Tuesday. I'm gonna be very angry with you guys if I end up being "clearing saw guy"  :^D

They said they couldn't swap the blade, which is fine. I'm gonna order a Maxi after I get it, and get a triblade cutter once I measure the clearance with the shield. Based on Stihl's catalog, I think it's a little too small for a shredder blade. I also got the echo harness. It was half the price of the Husqvarna XT, and they gave me 15% off that too. If it's really terrible, I can get the Husky later. Got the cutter and harness for $580 total, tax and everything. Not bad I don't think. Looking forward to tearing up some stickers  :^)

SwampDonkey

Well, you was meant to stand up to cut them, not bent down like a chimp. So just remind yourself of that when your taking revenge on them sticks. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

lxskllr

Got my first time with the brushcutter today, and you guys were right; it is kinda fun  :^D

I just did some easy stuff to get a feel for the machine. Pretty much level ground, and a mix of things to cut. I'm using the 80 tooth blade, and that's not so great. It has its place I guess, but not for my purposes. It seems to be best when you need a bit more than string, but nothing too woody. I already have my tritooth blade, and I'm hoping the Maxi's waiting for me when I get home today. The stock harness isn't so great either. It'll work in a pinch, but it gets uncomfortable after awhile. I wouldn't like doing an 8 hour day in it. My "pro" harness should be in tomorrow. It didn't make it on the truck with the brushcutter last week.

Overall, I'm pleased with my purchase. Looking forward to fine tuning my technique. Only 22.5 hours left to pay it off  :^D 

Thanks everyone for the help!

SwampDonkey

thumbs-up  Another bush whacker.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Allar

lxskllr, which one did you get? say_what
Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

Air Lad

After watching the video way back I realized they can work in a vertical plane as well
Up until then I only used this machine at ground level
Doors have opened
cheers

lxskllr

Quote from: Allar on April 17, 2019, 02:27:13 AM
lxskllr, which one did you get? say_what
I got the echo srm-410u. That was really the only contender. It provided the necessary power at a price I wanted to pay. One of the really big Stihls would have been nice, but too much $.
I took it out again yesterday with my tripoint blade, and I really like that one. That's almost perfect for my uses. One problem I'm seeing is I need two blades at one time. Something for cutting wood, and another for shredding brush. Refining my procedures will probably give an acceptable result. Go through shredding the little stuff, then come back with the maxi blade to cut the wood, or maybe use my little saw.
I already lost the three screws holding the guard on. I'll have to buy some more along with some locktite  :rollseyes:

Pine Ridge

I wish I had never started reading this thread. I cleared off the hillside behind our house last winter with a chainsaw, grown up clearcut jungle type mess. I sprayed it with roundup last summer, some sprouts still keep coming back. I'm starting to think I could really use a clearing saw !!!!!
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

lxskllr

Quote from: Pine Ridge on April 17, 2019, 12:22:17 PM
I wish I had never started reading this thread. I cleared off the hillside behind our house last winter with a chainsaw, grown up clearcut jungle type mess. I sprayed it with roundup last summer, some sprouts still keep coming back. I'm starting to think I could really use a clearing saw !!!!!
If I had any kind of acerage, I wouldn't have even made this thread. I'd have just bought it. My property's small, and while I let it grow up, I can handle everything with a machete. The farm I'm cleaning was let go for a long time, and it would be a full time job for a year+ to clear it with manual tools, and wouldn't be at all fun. I'm already ~80 hours in with no end in sight. Got the big vines with my chainsaw, but there's still tons of stickers and vinelettes that need to be taken care of. As much as possible, I'm also anti chemical. I figure humans made it to the 20th century witnout them, and I can too, especially since I have cushy motorized tools to use  :^D
All of which is to say, I highly recommend a clearing saw. I'm only 3.5 hours in, and I've at least doubled my machete productivity, and while I'm still getting stuck, I've also saved a bunch of blood  :^D

SwampDonkey

;D :D :D You know you want one. Go for it! Why not? Be surprised what you need it for. ;)

Allar

I have no words to describe how useful brush cutter can be. I'm looking to purchase another one, preferbably husqvarna  :)
I don't buy new stuff because i like to fix things :D

Pine Ridge

I've got alot of projects going on right now, if I can get caught up I may just buy me one. Hillside I cleared is about an acre, sure be alot handier than cutting sprouts with a 550xp.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

lxskllr

Got my new harness today. More comfortable than the basic harness. The handlebars are getting a little slop in them. I took them off, and noticed one of the keyed teeth were broken. I'm not even sure why it has a screw like that. It's either on or off, no adjustment. Perhaps it's for quickly taking them off for stowage?  Not a big deal, but I can feel the movement. 

Worked 3 hours today, and it kind of kicked my butt. I'm slashing down through the tops of the sticker banks, and it wears on the arms after awhile. So far, so good. Machine's 30% paid off as of today. It's looking like it'll be paid for before the obnoxiously hot weather gets here  :^)

SwampDonkey

Keep in mind it is not a pro model, so it will not take the same abuse. ;)

Let the dealer know, that should be warranted.

lxskllr

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 19, 2019, 05:03:04 AM
Keep in mind it is not a pro model, so it will not take the same abuse. ;)

Let the dealer know, that should be warranted.
I've been using it hard. Let me ask you a question about technique... With the tripoint blade, I've found that attacking the ~1" stalks with authority cuts through them pretty well, where going slow burns through, and makes the wood smoke(I'd actually be concerned about fire if I weren't in wet MD). >1" will take a few hits to get through. Is hitting the stalks with some force acceptable technique, or is that considered abuse?

SwampDonkey

It's not really for 1" hard stems. So, it would be a bit abusive with that blade. ;) Raspberry, blackberry and red osier dogwood type stuff then yes.

A test of blades, as a side note I would never use a carbide tip blade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYOlZb2bmmU

Air Lad

Hi
These are some of the blade options available here
The triangle one broke the angle drive box on the end of the stick once when it hit 
a besser block (large brick) which was hiding in the underbrush
An after market one fixed it as the parts for the old Kawasaki were not available
They all have their applications
Cheers

lxskllr

Next trip out I'll try the maxi blade. I've been liking the way the tripoint handles stickers, so I haven't used the other blade. I'm guessing the maxi will work better on the stems, but not as good breaking it all down. Maybe I can figure something out that'll handle it all with one blade.

Allar

With triangle blade, you need to swing it hard, or tap it.   1'' is no problem for that blade.
It's not like you're cutting, more like beating the chunks out of em.

You can try the maxi blade but i think you'll go back to triangle one.

SwampDonkey

I'd try the one like a mower blade myself. Less blades more sustained rpms. ;D

John Mc

Quote from: Allar on April 20, 2019, 02:24:06 AM
With triangle blade, you need to swing it hard, or tap it.   1'' is no problem for that blade.
It's not like you're cutting, more like beating the chunks out of em.

You can try the maxi blade but i think you'll go back to triangle one.
1" brush or 1" softwood, maybe. Those triangle blades are not good for hardwood. You get tired quickly and beat your machine to death using one cutting buckthorn. For that sort of stuff, the Maxi is my go-to blade.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Allar

Well i use it to clear hazelnut and aspen brush around planted trees. First time before planting i had to use maxi blade but because i clear the brush every year, i can use the triangle blade now.

Hazelnut grows so *DanG fast, with in a year it'll be over my head.

SwampDonkey

Like John said, in woody stems, the Maxi blade requires less physical effort by the operator. No flailing around with the saw like a sythe. The triblade may work well enough in new growth before it hardens off. Hazel gets hard. We have it here (beaked and witch) sometimes under hardwood or aspen. Up here the mills categorize hardwood as maple, ironwood, oak, beech, birch. Aspen and poplar (Both populus) is categorized by itself because it is soft. It is never mixed in hardwood on truck loads of pulp. Some mills even separate the birch.

John Mc

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 21, 2019, 06:18:24 AM
Like John said, in woody stems, the Maxi blade requires less physical effort by the operator. No flailing around with the saw like a sythe. The triblade may work well enough in new growth before it hardens off. Hazel gets hard. We have it here (beaked and witch) sometimes under hardwood or aspen. Up here the mills categorize hardwood as maple, ironwood, oak, beech, birch. Aspen and poplar (Both populus) is categorized by itself because it is soft. It is never mixed in hardwood on truck loads of pulp. Some mills even separate the birch.
Same here. A lot of folks just refer to aspen/poplar as a softwood (they know that's not technically correct, but it separates it from what they consider the "real" hardwoods).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!