iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 045 av

Started by Cruiser_79, June 20, 2019, 02:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruiser_79

Someone nearby sells an old stihl 045 av. I don't want to use it for felling etc, but like the old vintage saws just for fun and cut some firewood etc. For work I will take my more reliable and lighter 660, 341 and 200T.
The machine hasn't been used for a while he says. Don't know or he means months or years... Anyone familiar with these saws? Was it comparable with the nowadays MS460? What length bars can you run on them? The plate on top says;

Stihl
045 AV
electronic
quickstop

Air Lad

Hey there Cruiser
A good mate of mine has the 046
He worked in forestry and bought it off an old logger
That one is a commercial grade machine
The 045 may not be but looking at your other saws it may be perfect to fill the
gap from large to medium. I recon it'd be about 75cc
There are people here that have good knowledge on these issues
Good luck mate

Cruiser_79

Thanks! It will fill the gap between my 341 and 660. Was looking to get a 362 or 461 but if i get it running i will wait a while!

DelawhereJoe

Looking at the specs online, your 660 will be about 1 lb less in weight then the 045av. While it will fill the size gap its not going to fill the weight gap.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

stan064

I had an 045aveq back in the 80s was a great saw never had a problem, 81cc,4.9 cu in,bar & chain weight 19.8 lbs with 16'' bar

Al_Smith

I've seen them ,never operated one .In looking at the IPL evidently made in three bore sizes ,50-52 and 54 MM .Gear driven oil pump ,cylinder set on a 45 degree angle .That was common to several models in that time period  .Ignition coil inside the flywheel with points ignition .
I doubt there is much wrong with it .Often saws get sat on a shelf because more modern lighter saws came into being which does not mean they aren't worth resurrecting . I have no idea if the parts are still available via a dealer but would imagine by way of e-bay if nothing else .I've reworked a lot of saws ,some Stihl and so far I've always been able to find parts .

I seriously doubt it would cut as well as an 046 but that does not mean it would be slow as a snail .

sawguy21

They were popular here, most guys ran a 24" bar. I saw them in the shop simply because there were so many and they were worked. Not the easiest saw to service, the carb is a bit time consuming to access and the points are difficult to acccess for adjustment.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Cruiser_79

Picked it up this afternoon. It's real heavy, think it it weights more than the 660 wit a 36" bar  :D 
The guy told me it stood on a shelf for at least five years. I came home, filled the gas tank and it ran after 3 pulls!! Amazing, didnt expect that. But I will clean and check everything and put the old 63 cm bar from the 660 on it. 
It will be more like a hobby saw, for cutting firewood etc. That old lady is way to heavy to take for a walk

Al_Smith

You don't want to tote it around very much but that extra weight actually helps you bucking firewood .Just crack the throttle and let er go .

Satamax

I have one which just died, well i think it's the tank's joint which is gone.  I like the saw, kind of a workhorse. Slow, but steady. 

Mine didn't have the brake. Nasty! 

I haven't dismantled many chainsaws, but know my way around two strokes (french moppeds) 

And there is a tiny filter hidden in the carb, which i missed few times, before discovering it. Greyish gunk, on grey aluminium doesn't help. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Cruiser_79

The chain tensioner was bent so I orderd a new one. I put an old 63 cm bar of my 660 on the 045, and it looks quite nasty! The saw starts and runs good, so I won't do much about it. I only need to check the oil pump, I think it is stuck with old chain oil and dirt. An other strange thing is that I got a electric shock when shutting of the engine with the switch. Is that a common problem or is it a special Stihl feature to make sure the user is awake before he will drive home??

Satamax

Just that the switch is badly grounded. 

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Thank You Sponsors!