iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Synthetic winch line

Started by sprucebunny, March 14, 2006, 04:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

I bought some AmSteel Blue to replace my wire winch line. Here is an article about it's use and successfulness in the logging industry. The pdf was too big  :(

long link
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Woodhog

Thanks for the interesting link...

I noted the 1/9 as heavy comment, this is good, I get so tired dragging the other cable ..

Also I wonder how it behaves when it breaks under load compared to wire line...

isawlogs

I would like to see how it would react in the winch after having a load pulled with it , Sent it my way and will do the proper testing for you and will also provide a full report on its reactions to winching in different conditions .  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sprucebunny

It doesn't whip. Just drops to the ground if it breaks.

Marcel, you will have to get your own piece ;D I would imagine if it is wound in with a load on it, it will be fine. It does not seem very 'fluffy' . It feels kind of hard .

Google AmSteel Blue. There are lots of testamonials from the 4x4 group. It is also used on tug boats.

stumpy

How does the price compare?
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

sprucebunny

It was 20% more $ than wire for me,

Here are some prices. They are not the cheapest I've found but have most of the sizes.

sawguy21

We used a similar product called Spectra12 for helicopter longlines and once the crews got used to the idea they thought it was great. It was a fraction of the weight of steel which meant more payload or fuel and was a lot easier to handle. We developed a special technique for attaching the extension cord to operate the electric hook release as the stuff really stretches. We did find the material took a beating at the lower thimble from being dragged so we would cut it back and resplice until the line was too short to be useful.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Seems if it stretches, then it is building up energy and will 'unstretch' quickly if it fails. This could cause some real damage. I was under the impression the rope SB is talking about, does not stretch much at all.
I've been around a rope that failed after it was stretched and it wasn't pretty.
But am still interested in getting such a rope (non energy storing kind) for a capstan winch. I'd like it for short pulls, removing hung-up trees, and occasional pulls where the tractor isn't the handiest.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

logwalker

The line I have used does not have any apreciable stretch. I did keep a couple pieces under strain for 34 hours once and after I removed the strain it stood out like a steel rod. Very strange to see that. Very slick exterior. May have some effect on a capstan. Easiest stuff there is to splice. I like it. LW
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

slowzuki

It does stretch some as does steel but the low weight means much less energy in the line if it breaks.  Now if a chunk of metal rigging at the end breaks not the rope when it is in a stretched position it will fling the attached remains just like steel rope.

Their are two basic products competing and I have a table on my website.

EDIT: Hmm the code line doesn't seem to work, I'll try to edit it into the forum format.

Bah nevermind here is the link, just scroll down:
http://moose.ca/~slowzuki/slowzuki/body/winch/index.htm

barbender

I was looking at the bailey's catalog, premium swaged wire rope 3/4"- $2.09/ft,  AmSteel Blue 3/4"- $5.99/ft. So it looks quite a bit more expensive, the breaking strengths were similar. I'd go for some though, if I knew it would hold up.  That would make a HUGE difference if you're setting chokers all day, being that light.  I'll let you guys be the guinea pigs and figure out if it's durable before I take the plunge though :)
Too many irons in the fire

rebocardo

I have been thinking about syn line, my thing is how easy is it to do splices and loops?

With cable, it is basically 3 clamps and torque to spec.

sawguy21

We used a something called a 3-2-1- splice. Don't ask me to describe it, there must be some riggers here. ;D The first splice we used pulled loose.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

slowzuki

BTW for guys considering this for their skidders, don't bother if you have rocky ground.  It gets abraded quickly on rocks.  Off-roaders doing self recovery don't slide the cable along rocks, they only reel it up as they drag themselves to safety.  Even so it is sold with a moveable rock guard/sheath the protect it.

logwalker

The line I use is a very simple 1 or 2 minute splice to a thimble. Easiest I have seen of any line. Lw
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Thank You Sponsors!