iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sleep apnea

Started by florida, August 14, 2017, 03:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roxie

Just like ljohnsaw, I pitched the humidifier after one week.  My setting is 11 and I didn't experience any problems at all when I ditched the humidifier and the mask.  There is a learning curve with nasal pillows, but I've found that the headset stretches and needs pulled tighter at least weekly.  If the pillows leak, tightening the top band stops that.  

I don't clean my hose, because honestly without the humidifier introducing moisture into the system, it doesn't get dirty.  I replace the hose every six months.  I change the pillows and the white hepa filter every two weeks, and like ljohnsaw, just knock the dust off the outside gray filter.  

They do recommend directing the hose behind you, like Raider Bill said, but I hug my hose under the blankets.  Try different things to see what makes you most comfortable.  

My relationship with my cpap is love hate too, but just one night of trying to sleep without it and I can't wait to get it back.  
Say when

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Roxie on March 07, 2018, 10:12:16 AMI change the pillows and the white hepa filter every two weeks

OK, recently they sent me those white filters along with everything else.  I have no clue where they go.  I cannot find any door or hatch to open.  I think they think I have some other machine.  Can you post a picture of you machine and where that filter goes?

IIRC, my setting is only a 7 but that might vary depending on the manufacture.

Re: nose tickle... I find I have to blow my nose really well and dry it with a tissue before going to bed.  Otherwise, a little bit of moisture will get around the pillow and it tickles - keeps me awake.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

tawilson

I wear a whole face mask and a nose tickle or itch seems unavoidable right after I put it on. I've learned to power through it and it goes away.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Raider Bill

My machine starts at 8 and automatically adjusts up as needed. Its a Resmed 10.
I use water all the time even here in hot humid Florida otherwise it looks like a murder scene on my pillow in the morning.
I bought a SO-Clean machine which when it worked did a nice job but I had to send it back for a warranty repair [bad hose switch] then when they returned it to me yesterday some of the parts were missing so now I'm waiting on So-Clean to send them to me too.
I seem to sleep better with it than without and I don't wake up with elbow bruises on my ribs from olwhatshername jabbing me all night.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Roxie

Quote from: ljohnsaw on March 07, 2018, 10:48:48 AM

OK, recently they sent me those white filters along with everything else.  I have no clue where they go.  I cannot find any door or hatch to open.  I think they think I have some other machine.  Can you post a picture of you machine and where that filter goes?

I'd be glad to do that, but the white filter goes behind the gray foam filter, into the same opening. 
Say when

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Roxie on March 07, 2018, 12:37:41 PMI'd be glad to do that, but the white filter goes behind the gray foam filter, into the same opening.

Well, isn't that special!  My white filters have a little tab on them and I was looking for a place for that to go.  Still not a great fit.  Folded 90° so you can remove it, the tab holds the foam out a little from sealing up the port all the way.  I'll see how it goes tonight.  Thanks.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

starmac

Has any of you taken the hospital test and been told they did not have sleep apnea, or know anybody that has?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Like most medical problems , I put them off as long as I can, like an idiot. I was having big time trouble sleeping at night and was falling asleep during meetings at work or literally at my desk. For me the final straw was when I fell asleep behind the wheel, and thank God i had someone in the passenger seat to wake me up before we crashed.

Went and took the study and had 105 episodes in two hours, on in which i stopped breathing for 45 seconds.

I use the CPAP for last 10 years. Wife deals with the snoring by wearing earbuds and listening to music while she sleeps, but looks like she will be getting one soon. What gets her the most is when i roll towards her and the stream of air blows in her face. To solve that she builds a wall of pillows as a barrier.

The machines do work, and make a huge difference in how you feel in the morning

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Roxie

Starmac, the people that I know that were referred for the test are heavy duty snorers.  I know of two people who were tested and didn't need a cpap. 

I was referred after a bout of bacterial pneumonia in the hospital.  My doc asked me where I thought I went wrong, since that is most commonly caused by inhaling something into the lungs.  I told him that I had been sleeping and woke up with saliva at the base of my throat, and upon waking gasped that down the wrong pipe.  A bad episode of coughing followed. 

When I went for the test, I was really surprised at how severe my sleep apnea registered.  Imagine my surprise when my 40 year old son told me that he'd been on a cpap for two years.  He is married to a nurse, and she insisted he go because he had long periods without breathing.  Don't let anyone tell you that this is caused by being overweight either, my son is a lean mean healthy machine. 

Say when

starmac

I was just curious, I have had more than one doctor tell me that everybody will fail the test. I was in the hospital last week and they ask me to take it, and I mentioned what I had been told, so they just dropped it and didn't pursue it like they do on most tests.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

xlogger

I might be joining your club next week, I'm going in Tuesday for the sleep study. Pretty sure I'll fail. I wake up sometimes at night losing my breathe. I was suppose to get test about a year ago but had to cancel for bypass surgery. This getting older isn't for sissies. >:(
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Ed_K

Quote from: xlogger on March 08, 2018, 06:20:00 PMThis getting older isn't for sissies. >:(
Boy ain't this the truth :( .
Ed K

petefrom bearswamp

starmac I have often wondered about whether the test is bogus but i do seem to sleep better with the machine.
Linda told me that I did stop breathing before the CPAP as well as snoring.
As regards the humidifier, I can tell the instant the water is gone as it wakes me up and the air has a distinct odor to it that i cant describe.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

DPatton

Interestingly enough the insurance company may quite possibly think the whole Cpap thing is bogus as well. As they require proof of my using the machine on a regular basis for a set minimum number of hours per use. 

My medical provider is actually able to remotely monitor my unit and confirm that I am not only using it (meaning its not unplugged and just sitting in a closet somewhere). But they are also able to confirm when and for how long I use the machine for. 

The gal who set my machine up and trained me how to use it informed me that she will remotely check my usage of the Cpap from time to time via a connection thru her cell phone. Said she does this not only to satisfy the insurance companies proof of usage requirements but also to see that the unit is working for me. Then with an uncomfortable little chuckle of a laugh she swore she won't spend a lot of time stocking me and my Cpap usage :o :o :o. True story.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

thecfarm

Those have a come along way. I had a card in mine I would bring in for the Dr to read.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tawilson

I've got the Resmed S10 and have an account set up with them and can check my usage and results online. And they email me a 🌟if I do good.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

SwampDonkey

Mother had a test done, then of course they started pushing the $2000 model. I looked at the thing, it might cost $150 to build. That there was enough to call quackery. :D She couldn't stand wearing anything like that at night. Heck, a red diode on an alarm clock will keep her awake. I said close your eyes. :D

If you guys are all getting relief and feel good with these things, I say keep on doing what you need to do to be happy. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bandmill Bandit

The CPAP didn't work for me! 

My doc told me to talk to my dentist about it. I did. 

He did some measurements and a few different x rays including one that you stand in the middle of a contraption and a camera rotates 360 degrees. 

He showed me that I needed a "re alignment" of my lower jaw as he referred to it. He had a dental appliance made that is a VERY minor inconvenience that I dont even notice now. 

Cost me 60 bucks plus the dental visit which was another 40 I think. and that is CND $.

Problem solved.   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

doctorb

The investigators of sleep apnea debate the "chicken of the egg" issue relating sleep apnea and obesity, as poor sleep has been demonstrated to promote weight gain.  One thing is for sure, there is a definite correlation between weight and sleep apnea. There are too many studies to list and/or quote here verifying that fact.  While there are always exceptions......

Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Body Weight
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Bandmill Bandit

Dr B I am sure weight was a factor in my case too as I was near 290 lbs at the time I started to use the mouth appliance. I know that better sleep was a factor in losing weight BUT it wasn't the only thing that helped. Eating better food AND only eating out once or twice month helped the most. Today I am 205 - 210 and feel a thousand percent better.

BUT the appliance still helps me sleep much better.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

DPatton

I will agree with the weight and general fitness condition in my case too. I have had a serious problem with snoring since my late 20's. I have  been overweight the majority of my life except for a 3-4 year stint in my forties when I got down to 175 lbs for the first time since I was a sophomore in high school :) :) (you guys will get a kick out of how this happened).

My wife and I were a one child family with an 11 year old daughter and no plans for more children. Then one day at work my wife calls me and says she's pregnant! ??? ??? ??? :o :o :o :P :P :P :P (Hummm, Howww theeee, whhhaaaatttt??) I was completely in shock! At age 42 I was having the first (and only) panic attack I had ever had in my life. It lasted for several days. I was completely mortified by the thought of having another child!!!

During that era of my life I started eating much less and drinking the hard stuff much more. I started running for exercise and was typically knocking down about fifteen miles and 2-3 bottles of bourbon a week. Got in great shape physically and my snoring was non-existent. But I was not in such a great place with all the booze. 

My son Jesse James was born on Feb. 17th, 2009 and I ran my first (and only)half marathon in May, 2009 at age 43. Truth is I could'nt have been more proud of my new son Jesse James or of my achievement of getting in shape and completing a half marathon. But the booze was taking its toll and had to stop. My poor wife was also getting about fed up with having a 2/3's pickled husband a good portion of the time too.

Eventually I stopped the out of control boozing, and a 30 year habit of Skoal Origional Fine Cut. Unfortunetly I quit the running too. I resorted back to my old ways of over eating or not eating as healthy as I should. The weight came back and so did the over the top snoring that led me to my sleep apnea problem. 

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Gary_C

Quote from: DPatton on March 09, 2018, 07:14:24 PMInterestingly enough the insurance company may quite possibly think the whole Cpap thing is bogus as well. As they require proof of my using the machine on a regular basis for a set minimum number of hours per use.

It's not so much the insurance company's believe it bogus as there have been far too many people that have acquired a machine and never used it much or just tried it for a while and quit.

My wife just started on one again and the insurance, thru Medicare requires that you lease the machine for six months while you prove your usage. It's a lease/purchase program and the insurance pays the rental and then after six months they pay the balance if you are using it. If not, the patient must return the machine and pay the rental fee.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

xlogger

Just got home from my overnight test. what a miserable night. Got there at 7pm, they started hooking me up and she said she would come to put me to bed after she hooked up her 9pm appointment. I told her if they wanted to get so much time with me sleeping with the machine that I usually go to bed early around 9. She didn't come in till 11 that night to finish hooking me up for sleep. I was *pithed. I got up around 4:30 and told them I usually get up about that time and would not go back to sleep, she said I needed to try for another hour. I hope they got the results they needed. 
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

thecfarm

Kinda short handed there?
When I had mine done,they wanted me to stick to my rountine,which would of been around 9-9:30pm for me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

Quote from: Gary_C on March 13, 2018, 11:06:48 PM
Quote from: DPatton on March 09, 2018, 07:14:24 PMInterestingly enough the insurance company may quite possibly think the whole Cpap thing is bogus as well. As they require proof of my using the machine on a regular basis for a set minimum number of hours per use.

It's not so much the insurance company's believe it bogus as there have been far too many people that have acquired a machine and never used it much or just tried it for a while and quit.

My wife just started on one again and the insurance, thru Medicare requires that you lease the machine for six months while you prove your usage. It's a lease/purchase program and the insurance pays the rental and then after six months they pay the balance if you are using it. If not, the patient must return the machine and pay the rental fee.
I see them selling at estate sales from time to time. I picked one up for $10 as a spare and to keep in Tenn so I don't have to lug mine back and forth. Blew it out, changed the hose, filter, tank and hose. Good to go. It's a older one but works fine.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!