iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Well, it ain't raining here today, I'm sawing up two cherry logs for a tug boat captain.
Here is a 5/4x12x8' piece from the first log:

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

Rain has my sawing shut down but I may see some blue sky next week.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

crowhill

No rain here today but the wind is blowing so hard I had to sit on the mill to keep it from blowing away...
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Busysawyer

Cit this little red oak log for a customer today. This was the second log up. He said he's going to try to figure out how to get the butt log over here. Says the butt log is over 62 inch diameter. I told him to try and find someone else to take that monster. This "little" log was pushing the limits of both my loader and mill. It's just not worth it to put all that stress on the equipment.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I sometime get by with up to 42" but they are a chore.  Anything over 36" usually needs some Bibbying.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PA_Walnut

Quote from: Busysawyer on November 07, 2018, 05:46:45 PMCit this little red oak log for a customer today. This was the second log up. He said he's going to try to figure out how to get the butt log over here. Says the butt log is over 62 inch diameter. I told him to try and find someone else to take that monster. This "little" log was pushing the limits of both my loader and mill. It's just not worth it to put all that stress on the equipment.

I have a walnut log incoming that is even larger. Bibbying it isn't prudent so I am either going to rip it or find a Hudson sawyer. Thought about getting a Hudson a few times, but then the game changes again: bigger loader, better handling equipment, bigger kiln, etc. Big slabs are back-breakers...I like nice, clean 12" wide 8/4. ;D
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Lawg Dawg

I'm about to test some limits myself...got to figure out what to do with this poplar, 12' long, 32" on the small end, 42" on the big end

Little lumber going out in the morning

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

olcowhand

Is your Head wound all healed up, Dawg?
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

WV Sawmiller

I hope that is blue paint and not metal in that log. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Tulip will sometime display that blue in the heartwood.

Just load that baby up, butt toward the front and saw it Dawg.  That egg shape plus the cantilever head will will be your friends.  smiley_thumbsup

DanG, you got a W I D E, so you will not have to open but one eye.  ;)

scleigh

The big ones are a huge chore, most of the time sawing it is the easy part.

This 4' wide red oak was about all I could lift

It took a while to get on the mill , leveled and ready to saw

Small end, as a supervisor from work says " max max "

Nice 44" wide slabs, but 1 day to harvest tree and 1 day to saw and rack.

nativewolf

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 08, 2018, 06:49:54 PM
Actually something valuable called Rainbow Poplar.  If you google that you'll see lots of neat stuff.  We had a stand of it and let it go before realizing it was really rainbow.  We had orange, blue, purple, green in the lumber.  Neat stuff.
Liking Walnut

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: olcowhand on November 08, 2018, 05:32:22 PM
Is your Head wound all healed up, Dawg?
Yes Sir, it actually healed up very quickly! 
Quote from: nativewolf on November 08, 2018, 11:02:57 PM
Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 08, 2018, 06:49:54 PM
Actually something valuable called Rainbow Poplar.  If you google that you'll see lots of neat stuff.  We had a stand of it and let it go before realizing it was really rainbow.  We had orange, blue, purple, green in the lumber.  Neat stuff.

Yep, this should be some intresting lumber in these boards.  When the poplar gets this big and old, it turns rainbow inside!  It's not metal! I got this log from a logger that logs in the woods! 
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Jim_Rogers

Starting on this next bunch of nice oak logs for my customer. Should finish his order and then some.

Jim Rogers
PS: Yesterday's happy customer driving off with his load of cherry 5/4 boards

Magicman

It's good to see that the rain is holding off and you are able to get some sawing done Jim.  We have much rain and more in the forecast.  No sawing.  :-\

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Magicman on November 09, 2018, 09:10:10 AM
It's good to see that the rain is holding off and you are able to get some sawing done Jim.  We have much rain and more in the forecast.  No sawing.  :-\
Suppose to rain tonight from 9pm to 2am but not be raining again till Tuesday, we'll see if they are right this time.
Jim Rogers

Busysawyer

Geez , I've been sawing in the pouring rain getting soaked to the bone. Cut a couple walnut logs just the other day in a down pour. Should I not be sawing in the rain? Is it going to ruin the mill? I leave the debarker cover on and dont use it.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

WV Sawmiller

I won't intentionally saw in the rain. I may finish a cut or two if it starts raining after I started and there is an urgent reason to finish but I don't like the wet sawdust clumping on everything potentially messing up my thickness of cut and such. Also I figure it is generally unsafe due to slick ground and equipment to manipulate.

I leave the cover on my debarker all the time anyway. Never heard any reason not to. I have not noticed any problems from that practice.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

35 years ago when I was 40 I also did many things in the rain, but those days are loong behind me. 

I am content to stand aside and  smiley_wavy

Southside

The good thing about sawing in the rain is that you get to learn how to replace electrical components in your mill control console after, so there is a silver lining there.   ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jim_Rogers

I cut some red oak mantles today for two different customers.

I made one 4x12x6' for one out of a 12' log and got one extra for sale.

From the same log I got one 6"x8"x 6' piece:
Side B:

Side A:

Jim Rogers

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Southside logger on November 09, 2018, 04:07:32 PMThe good thing about sawing in the rain is that you get to learn how to replace electrical components in your mill control console after, so there is a silver lining there.   ;D
And you know this because .... :D

Howard Green

Magicman

Nice Mantels Jim.  smiley_thumbsup

Actually I have sawn during some quick showers but I have an umbrella over me.  The customer/tailgunners are always glad when I shut it down.  ;D

SawyerTed

Rain usually shuts me down too.  The rain on the equipment, on the lumber, and in the sawdust isn't worth it. The sawdust/rain paste on the lumber is just asking to grow mold and cause staining.  A quick shower or light mist doesn't usually stop me.

I usually have enough other things to do when it rains.  Today I ordered parts to fix a welder, sold and loaded a load of barn framing and worked on a farmhouse table.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Thank You Sponsors!