iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brag about your DIY Bandsaw mill budget

Started by lowpolyjoe, November 08, 2013, 10:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

Hey Guys.

I really enjoy the DIY bandsaw mill threads.  Some day I want to give it a shot myself.  I was wondering if any of you guys would share your estimated total costs and maybe some specs (HP, diameter capabilities, etc...)

I'm curious how economical it is to build a small mill.  I think the ez-boardwalk jr is just over $4K.  Is it gonna end up costing me $3k in materials to build my own plus a ton of work and aggravation?  Or are people putting mills together for a grand?

I don't have access to as much raw material as some of you - I don't have square tubing laying around or any nice engines out in the shed, so my costs would probably be on the high side compared to some.  Just wondering how the budget went for some of you guys who threw together your own project.

Thanks,
Joe

Den-Den

Mine is still a work in progress.  I think it will be $2500 when functional (all manual).  If I add power up/down, power feed or ?? it will be more.  Power up/down is something that I will likely add.  I did not have to buy any tooling but had to buy most of the materials.  Width capability will be ~ 40" and travel is just over 13 ft (I expect to cut 8 ft material mostly).  An extension will be a simple project if one is needed in the future.  I am planning on a new Briggs 18hp engine (big part of budget)
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

mad murdock

Linn lumber sells plans, parts and various kits to help diy'ers build their own band mill. Then there are CSM's like the procut, that you can build for about 1,000+ the cost of the powerhead of sufficient size to mill with.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

m wood

I priced it once upon a time and when I hit the 2k mark (and really wasn't there yet) I put my energy toward a used purchase.  I wanted to mill "yesterday" and the time and space to build was a big deciding factor.  6 mos. of serious searching found me a medium sized manual mill for 2.5k.  just what the doctor ordered.
mark 
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

mrector

I had around $960 in mine. 7hp honda knock off engine. Log capacity was around 30", but realisticly it was maxed out at 20".
Search for "simple bandsaw mill". Or just look in my old posts. I have pics and video listed there. Although I did end up selling I'd and bought the norwood... I got my money oiut of it. Fun project, took me about 4ish months to build just dabbling with it in evenings.
Mikey

Edit: here is a link to thread. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,67653.msg1013794.html#msg1013794
Woodmizer LT35HD25 brand new!
Stihl 044 and my favorite: ms260 pro
Homemade logging arch
Homemade hitch log picker-upper
DanG Deadheader log loading trailer.

bandmiller2

I've used my homebuilt bandmill for about 10 yrs. with complete satisfaction,it cost me a whooping $500.00.I had much of the required material in stock.The mill has hyd. turner/clamp power feed and sawhead. Only regret the length of the "I" beams its set on I'am limited to 15'.I bought a complete heavy duty circular mill with ford industrial diesel for $500.00 that will work rings around the bandsaw.The best deals are in the used market.If you have a lot of the material for a bandmill and the ability and self control to build a good mill have at it. If you don't its better to buy a mill. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

lowpolyjoe

Good to hear different points of view - thanks guys.

I'm following your build Den-Den and eager to see more

I saw your thread and video a while ago Mikey - good stuff!

MWood- that's what I was wondering about.  I haven't started a design to get a handle on a price estimate but I was thinking if I have to buy everything that it's gonna end up close to the cost of small new mill or a medium used mill. I keep an eye on craigslist for the fun of it but haven't done any serious searching for a used model yet.

The Procut plans/kit might be an option, thanks Murdock.  As far as CSM's go, I really like the looks of Logosol M8 :)

Thank You Sponsors!