iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turtle gumbo

Started by Missouriwildman, June 01, 2014, 07:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missouriwildman

Does anyone have a good turtle gumbo or turtle jumbalia recipie? I have three large snappers I'm cleaning out and am looking for a recipie for one of them. I usually fry them but a good gumbo sounds good. Maybe a recipie for gator gumbo and I can substitute turtle. A good Cajun recipie would be good.
On order Timberking 1600 , 25 hp diesel, TK blade sharpener and setter. JD 5210 with 540 loader and 5 ton Braden 3 point winch for skidding timber. Bobcat S160 turbo hi flow with loader forks. Chainsaws ms 200t , ms 210, ms 250, ms 390, can't hook, Log waggon and other stuff..I love stuf

Magicman

I would not think that turtle gumbo would be any different than crawfish, shrimp, etc.  I searched "gumbo" and got many hits.  I surely would give it a try.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

coxy

ok have to ask how do you cook and clean a turtle would love to try it but don't have a clue how to do any of it  any info would be great   thanks

Missouriwildman

Yea magicman I agree that any internet gumbo recipie might work but I was hoping one of our brothers from the bayou might share a tried and true family  recipie with me. All gumbo recipies aren't created equal!!

As far as preparing a turtle. You need to catch a couple big ones. I put them in a 100 gal cow water tank and change the water every couple days until water stays clear. To butcher one I blow mine up with air and cut the meat out with a sharp knife. There's lots of u tube videos explaining how to do this. I then bread and fry like frog legs. When they jump outta the fryer they're done!!
On order Timberking 1600 , 25 hp diesel, TK blade sharpener and setter. JD 5210 with 540 loader and 5 ton Braden 3 point winch for skidding timber. Bobcat S160 turbo hi flow with loader forks. Chainsaws ms 200t , ms 210, ms 250, ms 390, can't hook, Log waggon and other stuff..I love stuf

Alcranb

How does one go about "catching" one?   ???
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

Magicman

I actually meant to do a forum search.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

Quote from: Alcranb on June 02, 2014, 08:01:09 PM
By the tail!!!  :D

21incher

Quote from: Alcranb on June 02, 2014, 08:01:09 PM

In my area they walk up behind you and like to watch you mow the lawn. Must be they like to eat all the frog parts that get chopped up by the mower. This guy had a shell about a foot long probably still young and tender. Good thing I didn't see this post a week ago or I would be eating snapper gumbo right now. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

Those snappers lays eggs at the end of my road for the raccoons,skunks,foxes and whatever else likes turtle eggs. MaMa does not like it when I stop and see what she is doing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandhills

A freind of ours and some others were catching them for a feed/fish fry for their town and putting them in his cattle tank to clean them out.  Not sure how many they'd caught but it was a bunch and when they brought the last 2 in just after dark they realized they'd put too much water in the tank  :D, nothing like a bunch of grown men running around with flashlights trying to re-catch a bunch of turtles.  I wasn't there but it would be safe to assume some adult beverages may have had something to do with this.

yukon cornelius

ok don't make fun of me.......the last one we got was from the road. wait wait wait! it wasn't dead yet. it was... pre-roadkill.
I may be a hill William, but im da hill William who had 2 meals of chicken fried turtle and mashed taters.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Thank You Sponsors!