iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Straight Handle Single Bit

Started by Puffergas, January 27, 2018, 06:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puffergas

All be, I never noticed that Council Tool had a straight bit single axle. Some body know some thing. Can't wait till it shows up!

http://counciltool.com/shop/axes/jersey-railsplitter-axes/3-5-jersey-axe-w-36-straight-handle/
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Skeans1

Got a few of them for pounding wedges, weights from 3 to just shy of 10 pounds the beating ends aren't normally the best either.

pinefeller

the best wedge pounder ive used was from baileys. it had a 5lb head and a straight 28'' handle (im rather short)
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

Puffergas

I'm using them for felling, bucking and limbing of small trees (16" and below). A straight handle is more accurate. A double bit is much better but a single bit is safer.
Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Rooster

Quote from: Puffergas on January 27, 2018, 06:56:35 PM
All be, I never noticed that Council Tool had a straight bit single axle. Some body know some thing. Can't wait till it shows up!

http://counciltool.com/shop/axes/jersey-railsplitter-axes/3-5-jersey-axe-w-36-straight-handle/

She's a work horse !

I like straight handle axes like this....split, fell, buck, etc.

You might need to touch up the edge to get it nice and sharp, but a couple minutes with a file using the draw-file technique, and you will be in business !!

Axe-on!

Peace, Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Puffergas

Quote from: Rooster on January 29, 2018, 11:54:52 PM

She's a work horse !

You might need to touch up the edge to get it nice and sharp, but a couple minutes with a file using the draw-file technique, and you will be in business !!

Axe-on!

Peace, Rooster

Yup, got two other Council axes but lighter and curved handle. Excited about this one. I use a file for shaping and a puck stone for sharpening. I'm working on my sharpening skills. I like that they do not put varnish on the handle. I apply boiled linseed oil. Drill a hole at the end for a hanging string. Hmm, I'll have too make a bit cover for this one. Where did I put that tractor inner tube? I have not tried flame treating a handle yet.
Jeff

Rooster

Quote from: Puffergas on January 30, 2018, 06:52:47 PM
Quote from: Rooster on January 29, 2018, 11:54:52 PM

She's a work horse !

Axe-on!

Peace, Rooster

Yup, got two other Council axes but lighter and curved handle. Excited about this one. I use a file for shaping and a puck stone for sharpening. I'm working on my sharpening skills. I like that they do not put varnish on the handle. I apply boiled linseed oil. Drill a hole at the end for a hanging string. Hmm, I'll have too make a bit cover for this one. Where did I put that tractor inner tube? I have not tried flame treating a handle yet.

Here is a technique that I developed by taking two separate systems and combining them...To be used to sharpen axes after the bevels have been set with a file...

:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOj4c2x5UDo&t=1s
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Puffergas

Rooster, many thanks for the video. I'll be making a trip to the hardware store after I watch the video again, with a note pad. I have a lot of learning to do. Sounds like there is an axe doings to go to.
Jeff

Thank You Sponsors!