iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sleep Paralysis

Started by Jeff, March 15, 2018, 11:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tasha

I have read this thread and am still not certain as the answer to my question seems to change depending upon which post I read.

When I first read the thread early on it seemed as if you were clearly awake and were in a state of paralysis but fully awake, but only after having been previously asleep.  In a recent post when Magicman had to shake you in increasing strength and a similar comment about your wife I am not certain. Other posts as well as your own have me more uncertain as to the answer.

Are you truly awake after having been asleep or are you asleep and dreaming that you are awake when you suffer this sleep paralysis?

I had a time in my life (years back) when I had almost exactly what you are describing but I was clearly asleep.  Now in the dream I "knew" I was awake and it would have been very difficult to convince me that I was not awake but i was still in a sleep mode.

Just trying to understand clearly what you are describing is happening to you.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Well, I didn't have an episode, but that doesn't mean anything, I don't have them as much as I do. I definitly had more trouble getting to sleep, because I think I was hyper-aware of entering the sleep state. My brain would not quit working. When I would start to fade towards sleep, my brain would say, "HEY! you might be going to sleep, Can you still move?" and I would come fully awake. Over and over until the middle of the night. Then I had to go sit in a chair because I hurt for laying and not sleeping. So as a test, this was non-conclusive and disappointing. I guess I was expecting some miracle. That I would lay down, fall gently asleep, and awaken much later, normally and refreshed.  Just another night.

Bruno of NH

Jeff
I really think you should give the Ralfa a try.
I hear good things about it from good people.
When it all shakes out I think it will replace some meds folks take.
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jeff

Okay, i had to of missed something. What is ralfa?

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jeff

That is what i was describing the results of from last night.

SwampDonkey

Was just talking to the lawyer today and he said the new law here enacted by that character in Ottawa has to take a zero tolerance approach because they can't prove your state of mind. It's not like alcohol. In fact a study in California showed people were less likely to be in an accident than someone not using it because you're a lot more alert, cautious and mellowed out.  I think that stuff made you hyper alert Jeff, it is definitely a known stimulant. I am no expert or even a novice about such things, just my take. Of course there is always too much, which will put you to sleep according to him. Take that tidbit for what it is worth I guess.

The flip side is, that now alcohol went from a 0.08% legal limit down to a 0.02% in the law books. And also the cops can come into your home now even if you never drove all day, but was drinking at home, and drag your but to be tested if they have to and check your blood with no warrant in hand. If you test above 0.02 % you loose the car for 3 months. But you was not in that car with alcohol in your blood. Now that there is a shocker.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don P

Now hold on, don't think for one minute it improves driving or motor skills and it would be a real stretch to call it a stimulant. This is not a performance enhancing drug. It isn't as debilitating as alcohol but take that trip without leaving home. I'm not knocking it at all just be responsible.  I'm certainly no doc but it sort of sounds like Jeff's mind kind of made up its own mind about how the experiment would go.  I don't think it will hurt anything but in some people it can cause anxiety and this sounds like it might have roots in anxiety. Jeff, it sounds like you have some level of self awareness during an episode, have you ever just sat back and let your mind go wherever it wants to go?

Jeff

I've tried, but once I know I'm in an episode, all I want is out. The last one was not terrifying, but many are.

SwampDonkey

Well it can be Don as much as the other affects (depressant, hallucinogen and so on) .  Your physiology and the strain of the stuff affects the outcome. The stuff can still be detected in your system a month after consumed. Should you go to jail because you consumed some 30 days ago at the cabin on the lake? Nope! I think there is too much emphasis on following the negatives. I've never touched the stuff, but have been near others that have used it. None of those people ever became a threat to anyone around them. I don't consume anything that alters my awareness or perception of reality. You can take that any way you like. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

On the MJ front I agree.  There has not been good research (as we docs like to say)  to prove many benefits.  Your neighbor can give you advice and you can take it or leave it.  A Dr. needs evidence so he is not wasting time and money, as well when he gets sued he can point to the evidence and science that he based his decision on.  Quite a burden to feel you always have to be right.  With a bad outcome people are looking to see if anything in retrospect could have been done better.  When docs do this, it is called morbidity and mortality review for learning.  It is called peer review if something was done wrong and you can loose your license.  And if a law firm does it...you get the picture.  We do double blind studies so that the observer does not know who has the drug or not, and can be objective.  The placebo effect is real, so anyone making an anecdotal observation, is potentially biased.  I drink and brew beer.  I do not use MJ.  I know if I have more than 2 beers not to drive.  I could loose both my diverse license and medical license.  I had a 40s y/o man come in having seizures and delirious and had to go to the icu on a ventilator.  Healthy otherwise and all tests were normal except he had pot in his system.  When I simply asked the family about it, we nearly had to call security.  I was told since it was natural, it could do no harm.  No one knew who grew the stuff, or if it was sprayed with chemical ect.  So I use caution when making recommendations to other people. The more effect any chemical has, the more likely there will be side effects.  Many "natural" medicinals have few side effects and you got it, when tested have little or no benefit. Godspeed.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

I certainly didnt mean for this topic to become a cannabis symposium. :laugh:

In this state it is now legal for use. Two reasons i have considered it is because it is legal and its something i could try to give me relief from the greater affliction. What i took was an edible made with medicinal grade cannabis oil from a strain grown specificly to help sleep. I didnt take it to get high. I plan on trying again in a more laid out plan that will actually give me an idea if it can work. Taking it one night with a heap of anxiety told me nothing.

The only reason i am discussing any of this here is to try and help others that may experience what i do regularly and to understand that they are not alone or crazy.

doc henderson

I am really neither pro or con, and I hope it helps you.  I know there are preps that avoid the high and poss. confer medicinal benefit.  We should have been studying this for years, but due to stigma, it has not been done.  Our DEA license is federal and could be at risk.  I have always told people with otherwise untreatable illness, to try it but I could not offer a science based opinion.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

lxskllr

I had sleep paralysis once in my life. It was in my first apt after moving out; a place built in 1822. I was hoping it was a ghost holding me down cause I've always wanted proof of ghosts. Hasn't happened yet, and my skepticism has only strengthened over the years.

Anyway, weird sensation. I could see it being a problem if it happened all the time. Hope you find something that consistently works for you Jeff. Laws don't particularly concern me. I don't do anything to harm other people, and I expect the same consideration in return. IOW, you need to look after yourself. No one else will do it for you; not without payment anyway. There's always someone with their hand out...

thecfarm

There are diffeant kinds of that stuff too. Make sure you have a care giver that knows what is what.
Kinda like using a guide to file with or free hand. Does not matter as long as it works and does the job!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Gary_C

Jeff, after all you have been through with this problem you may have more of an anxiety problem than a sleep problem. 

I am suggesting this because my wife has been having memory issues for some time now and though there is no definitive test, she has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Over the past two years we have found her memory issues have been made worse by her anxiety as when she worries about some future event, her memory gets markedly worse. She is now being treated for her anxiety and it has helped somewhat but there is no going back to regain memory losses.

So please see a good doctor and get treated for your problems, whatever they are. I have learned through all I have been through that the brain needs to regenerate itself while you sleep and if you don't get good sleep, bad things happen. 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Jeff

I've been over a week since I have had an episode. The longest I have been in two years. The only thing I can see that I've done different was the edible I took on the night of the State of the Union Speech. Maybe it was the speech. :D

SwampDonkey

Well, at least your on the positive side of things. Might be a cure. ;D

doc henderson

i guess he really does make america great again.  i hope i am not sorry I said that.  Best wishes

DPatton

Quote from: Jeff on February 13, 2019, 05:02:05 PM
I've been over a week since I have had an episode. The longest I have been in two years. The only thing I can see that I've done different was the edible I took on the night of the State of the Union Speech. Maybe it was the speech. :D
Lmao!
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Ianab

One of the things that I read about a medical cannabis study was that it didn't actually offer much "pain relief", but it did have a sedative effect. Which meant that people suffering ongoing low level pain, that was messing with their sleep, were now able to get a decent nights sleep, in spite of that background pain. 

That was of interest to me, because NZ is discussing changing the laws around cannabis (medical or de-criminalising etc), and I have issues with Neuropathy, (from undiagnosed diabetes) causing pain in my feet, that messes with my sleep. So I know how much of a killer not getting a decent nights sleep is. New Doc has got me to try a low dose of Amitriptyline, and it's actually helped. Still have some discomfort, but it's not so bad that I wake up in the middle of the night and have to get up and walk around. So I'm sleeping and feeling a lot better. 

So I think cannabis extract could have a real effect on sleep patterns too. Exactly what I'm not sure, because as the Doc says, it's not been well studied. But if side effects are only a craving for Doritos, then it's worth trying. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

I crave doritos anyway, so that would not be a problem. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

I've had a couple more episodes. A bad one this morning. One of the nightmare ones. I've not taken anything since that one time as I don't have access to anything.

beav

Have you tried cbd, the non psychoactive component of cannibus? It is widely available and legal everywhere. Even here in NH. It provides pain and anxiety relief and helps promote natural sleep.
It sure helped me (and still does) get through my hospital woes a year ago.
Cannibidilol (sp?) Google it

Thank You Sponsors!