iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turning larger logs

Started by Dana Stanley, February 08, 2019, 09:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana Stanley

I'm looking for advice on turning larger logs by hand on the mill. I have a HM126 and have had a tough time with 24-26" x12' logs with just my peavey. I need more leverage and can't buy a longer cant hook right now. I did buy two antique hooks so I can make a longer cant hook. The hooks are 8-1/2 and 9-1/2". I was going to make a 5'-6" steel handle for one and a 4'-6" for the other. Until I get that set up I was thinking a strap with a 2x4 or long pipe. Just not sure of the best set up for that. Just need it for the log I'm doing tomorrow. I will have the cants set up next week when the hooks come in.

I just need it for the first two or three 90* turns. I hope to build a trailer for my mill, and set up my winch for loading and turning assist of larger logs.
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

redbeard

You could slide some PVC pipes over your squaring arms makes it a little easier too roll the bigger logs.
A 60" logrite cant hook will be $ well spent, your back will thank you Everytime you use it.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

charles mann

i posted a similar question about this, and was inquiring turning 48-60" logs, and getting them onto the bunks. some recommended using a something, if not, a tow strap, loop it through 1 of the eyes, wrapping the strap around the log a few time, then hooking on the other end with a winch, tractor, come-a-long, just something to pull with, and start yarding on it.
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Brad_bb

I have a 60" logrite cant hook.  I also wax the cross bars of the mill with Johnson's paste wax.  This only works in warm weather though(I mill inside a warm shop).  Don't put it on a cold mill or it will get stickier.  I don't have the uprights on my LT15 that have the bearings on them.  If the logs are too big to roll by hand I lift them off with forklift and set some bunks on the ground and roll the log on the bunks, pick it back up and set it back on the mill.  Sorry if these don't apply.  You need to reduce rolling friction or use equipment.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

frazman

Check this video on youtube called " Sawmilling Tips and Tricks : Turning Logs Without Machinery the Easy Way " and it just might help...

kelLOGg

Quote from: redbeard on February 08, 2019, 11:21:06 PM
You could slide some PVC pipes over your squaring arms makes it a little easier too roll the bigger logs.
How long does your PVC last? I would think they would be crushed in short order. I use 3/16" square steel tube over my sq arms.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

mredden

My 60" LogRite cant hook was the best money expenditure I made in 2018. Bar none.

WDH

When I was sawing on the LT15, I found the logrite 78" mega-hook to be a life saver. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Merlin

If you have a farm jack around, wrap a choker chain or sling around the log and use the jack placed on a 2x10 on one of the bunks. It has turned everything I needed thus far and it's much more controlled. I assume you don't have a tractor available, which I do have and still use the farm jack as nothing gets moved really fast. 
 Hope that make sense.

2018 LT15 Wide, 2012 Kubota M8540 w FEL, Norse 390 logging winch, IH 484 w FEL, several Stihl Chainsaws. 115 acre family farm with NFLD ponies, a few beef cows, 1 Border Collie, a very understanding wife and 2 great kids.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

redbeard

Kellogg I see your point how they would break if squaring arms are shorter than log height. Steel pipe would be better.
PVC is nice if it's difficult to get them out after you turn the log and easy on blade if you cut them.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

bandmiller2

Dana, save your back mate, suspend a small electric winch overhead take a wrap around the log and roll it with ease. Even better solution build a roof over your mill to hook the winch to. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

woodworker9

A friend of mine, who also has a mill (manual), found a 2 ton chainfall for $50 off craigslist.  He rigged it over the mill with a beam-made gantry, and attached a hook to the chain.  He wraps it around the log, and taps it in.  He turns very wide, very heavy logs with it.  

Same setup could easily be achieved with your winch and an overhead pulley.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Iwawoodwork

Something I have been thinking about for my back stops is using roller blade skate wheels. roller skates are cheap at thrift stores. I would detach the rollers from the shoes and bolt them on a plate  and weld on 2-3 bolts that would go through the backstop. matching holes drilled through the back stop to easily mount dismount the roller plate. That wound produce a cheap easily mounted set of backstop rollers.

John Bartley

Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 09, 2019, 03:15:07 PM
Dana, save your back mate, suspend a small electric winch overhead take a wrap around the log and roll it with ease. Even better solution build a roof over your mill to hook the winch to. Frank C.
Exactly.
Norwood sells an accessory like this, but with a manual winch.   I rigged up a similar unit on my mill.  It works a treat and I've rolled stuff up to 30" with it.
cheers
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

moodnacreek

The skate wheel turners go way back. On the log deck, just before the carriage wedges in hinges could be flipped up. These wedges had 'skate wheels attached. With a cant hook you turned the log down and when it hit the wheels it slipped back on 1/4 turned. Don't know how this would go with w.m. type mill.

Dana Stanley

So for now I made a 60" canthook 1-1/4" pipe and 1/4" t-1 steel hook. I'm going to use one of the hooks I bought on my peavey, the hood I had was working ok but couldn't take the last log. The cant hook I made seems ok. I do plan on having a winch set up when I make a trailer. The area I have my mill in was always dry enough, but with all the rain we had this year its a mud pit. So I figure a trailer will be a big help.

Woodland Mills HM-126
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter

47sawdust

Dana,This summer build a shed for your mill with plenty of room for your next sawmill.Once it is under cover you will be much happier.You will be able to rig an overhead turning system (chain fall or electric winch).After you have done all that you will come across a nice used hydraulic mill that you can't pass up and log turning by hand will be a faint memory.
I started with a manual mill,Kasco IIB, then moved up to a WM LT30 standard which Ive added a lot of hyd. functions to.This sawmill thing is an evolutionary process and addictive.Take pictures to look back on.If you enjoy the work things will change.
Welcome and good luck.
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

kelLOGg

My overhead turner is on a swinging boom that slides in/out on mill. "Out" for sawing, "In" for travel. 

Redbeard, Got it. My sq arms are about 12" high and much less than log dia. 

DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Dana Stanley

Quote from: kelLOGg on February 10, 2019, 08:17:09 AM
My overhead turner is on a swinging boom that slides in/out on mill. "Out" for sawing, "In" for travel.

Redbeard, Got it. My sq arms are about 12" high and much less than log dia.

If you look at the staging deck I made you can see the removable steel post I made for a winch to turnbuckle logs onto the deck. I plan to incorporate that into the trailer, for loading and turning logs and into a log hauling trailer.
Woodland Mills HM-126

never finished

the farm jack works. I've done it many times.

John Bartley

I found some photos of my winch outfit.  I built this for two purposes .... first : to roll logs up onto the deck (before I owned a tractor with forks)  .... and second : to roll cants on the deck.

The pictures show it loading a log.  What isn't shown is a vertical post with a roller on top to route the winch cable over so that the cable will work to roll the log over instead of just pulling it.  The post is about four feet high and sits vertically into the square tube closest to the winch end.

This was my first cutting job in Jan of 2008.  It was a friend's home.  He had lost the branch off an Eastern White Pine and it did about $40,000 damage to his house, so he cut down all the Pines around his house and we milled them during that winter.  We did 5500 bdft before spring, learning as we went.  Lots of fun!!

http://www.oldradio.ca/Sawmill/Winch/logwinch.html

(click on the pic's for bigger)
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

willowbender

One thing I saw on a mill was a wedge to go under the log to keep it from back rolling. When turning heavy logs with knots and bumps and curl they can be dangerous. The wedge setup I saw Im planning on putting on mine. It slides over two angle irons and want slip with back pressure on it. Doesnt help you to turn a Log but sure makes it safer when handling something that size while working by yourself.
God Bless

kelLOGg

I like that moveable winch. I can see advantages in that.

bwstout

I have the same set as kelLOGg I have turned some very large logs on with it
home built mill

Dana Stanley

Quote from: bwstout on February 12, 2019, 09:21:03 AM
I have the same set as kelLOGg I have turned some very large logs on with it
I made something similar. It's on my log deck now, and when I build a trailer I will incorporate that into it. Then I will be able to use it for turning. For now I will try the pvc pipe, and the cant hook I built. I also broke down and bought a 60" logrite, I got it for $118.00 free shipping from a store in NY. Hurts to pay that much for a steel hook and aluminum pipe, but it seems that what most folks have!!
Woodland Mills HM-126

Thank You Sponsors!