iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bugpeople's Butt and pass build thread

Started by bugpeople, December 19, 2017, 08:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starmac

What about the method makes it stronger?
What keeps it from settling?
Is it cheaper, just because it is faster, or is there other reasons?
Just trying to learn something here?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

JJ

welcome to the FF
+2 on the power of positive thinking..

JJ

starmac

Interesting, It is not the finished look I would personally want, but I can see where it is fast and easy.
I am not sold on the stronger part either as many folks use the rebar with other methods too, but in such away that the logs are not shrinking away from each other.

customcutter01

BP  good luck with the build.  I had seen one of your video's on You Tube, where you were lifting a log with the tractor and drilling and inserting rebar.  Stay safe.  Still waiting to hear from Al Ag Credit on this end.
Husqvarna 350 decked,ported,pop-up piston by me
Husqvarna 450
Husqvarna 570 rebuilding now
Husqvarna 262XP
Stihl 210
Cooks AC-36 Hyd Bandsaw Mill
New Holland TN65D

kantuckid

As a woodworker and having built a pine log home, I too know that wood shrinks. One of the challenges of wood joints! and wood log walls.
I believe the operative word is "trangential shrinkage" here?
Positive or negative,  I cannot wrap my head around the wood drying around a rebar? Try as I might.
Like, how do the windows and doors build into those walls? Headspace?
I've made chips and dust out of many, many types of wood and they all shrink and most crack to the center as the drying takes place. The lone exception in my experience is catalpa, out of which I carved many bowls, by hand using a gouge and carvers mallet. Not one has ever cracked which is why it was a wood of choice for "cigar store Indians". One of the worst woods to develope radial cracks as used in larger timbers is yellow poplar. As I sit here and look away at the log ends of winter cut SYP, I do see a few cracks, some logs more than others but not enough to bother the structures integrity, no rebar.
Interesting build! Good luck! One of my DIL's is from down below Decatur.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

thecfarm

bugpeople,this non grit eater ain't a laughing at you. Have not been in the above double digit for 5-6 days here.  :( We are at least prepared and expect below freezing weather,just not for so long. Thes cold snap set a record here in Maine. Never been this cold for so long. Nothing above 15°.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

starmac

By thaw out the Honda, I hope you don't mean it didn't have enough antifreeze.
One of my customers brought me a toyota with a bad timing belt once. It turned out the reason the belt stripped was the water froze, and warped the head enough the cam would not turn.

bugpeople

Quote from: starmac on January 05, 2018, 01:52:49 AM
By thaw out the Honda, I hope you don't mean it didn't have enough antifreeze.
One of my customers brought me a toyota with a bad timing belt once. It turned out the reason the belt stripped was the water froze, and warped the head enough the cam would not turn.

crap, I hope not. The mixture wasn't 50/50 (I had topped it off over the summer one hot day in a walmart parking lot). It starts and runs, and no water out of the tailpipe, thank goodness- stupid thing just overheats. I took the radiator out and put in the bathtub with really hot water for about 20 minutes, just to be sure no ice in it. Then I took out the thermostat to test it- it didn't open in a pan of water on the stove until the water started boiling (I've heard they are supposed to open around 170-190, not 212), so I replaced it, but it would still overheat. I took the cap off and watched for any movement while it warmed up- I didn't see any flow. I took out the thermostat and started it again- still nothing- doesn't look like it's circulating. Only thing left is to take off the return hose, rev the engine, and see if anything shoots out. If not, I'm guessing it's the waterpump, which means I gotta pull the motor. Only thing is- there's no weeping from waterpump that I can see, and it doesn't make the whiny noise I've heard on other motors. Buddy of mine says they can go silently, so, I don't know......

kantuckid

Call this curiosity not trying to be a pest at all. You got enough on yer plate with vehicles for any 2 or 3 people!
My log house from green SYP settled for the what I thought was typical 7 or so years.
Stands to reason, the same species in the same sizes and winter cut is gonna dry over the same time period unless it's a desert, not the SE USA? I'm interested to see where those re-bar pins are placed?
At the corners, parallel to the log itself? Like lathe headpost/tailstock?

YellowHammer

Bugpeople,
Good to meet another Hunsvillian.  I've lived in and around Hsville since 72, but am now in New Market.  Which part of the county are you in?
Yellowhammer
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

dgrover13

I love the build pics - it appears that you are over half way up.  Gives me great inspiration on my own LHBA structure. 

As to us northerners, we are freezing much like the rest of the country right now.  We have been averaging -5F to -10F since before Christmas.  It was -18 the other day.

I am headed to florida next week for a retreat, enough of this craziness. :snowfight1:
-Darren

Don P

From what I hear there are frozen iguanas falling out of trees in FL  :D
My Mom emailed last night that they got 4" of snow in eastern NC, we just got a dusting out of that one, that's different.

I'm wondering, if preventing settlement is the goal, why is the rebar run vertically? If the rebar were driven at divergent angles down the length of the log it would lock the gap better. Much like driving opposed toenails without holding the boards tight to one another, no amount of pounding will allow the gap to close. Where if the nails are driven straight in it is easy to drive the gap tight.

starmac

Man O Man, I never liked running a jack hammer standing on the ground, pretty sure I would not like up in the air. lol

I have a funny story about jackhammers. I worked for a contractor digging swimming swimming pools in the L A area years ago. We dug a pool a day, but on one particular jog we hit solid granite a foot down. We left but a day or two later was told to go back to the same location. When I got there, there was a huge air compressor and 5 jack hammers, the boss ask me if I mind running a jack hammer. I told him no, and he said good, he figured I might, that is when I said BUT, I'm not going to start digging a swimming pool with one. He said yep, that is exactly what I figured.

bugpeople

Quote from: YellowHammer on January 05, 2018, 09:22:19 PM
Bugpeople,
Good to meet another Hunsvillian.  I've lived in and around Hsville since 72, but am now in New Market.  Which part of the county are you in?
Yellowhammer

wow! cool. I looked at your website- any good deals on car decking? I'm gonna need a few TONS of it (my roof square footage on the plans is 52x40). I doubt I have enough trees or skill to do it myself.

I'm building in New Hope.

kantuckid

Quote from: YellowHammer on January 05, 2018, 09:22:19 PM
Bugpeople,
Yellowhammer

I'm a senior, life long wood worker, w/dedicated shop & WMLT15 too, who has a life time supply of wood on hand(sort of) and must say I really enjoyed taking a look/see @ your website. Nice operation! Currently sawing a sassafras tree- if it warms up a bit! I didn't realize the walnuts were beetle dying? have to read up on that one. Nice set-up! and good luck selling your lumber. Mike

bugpeople

Quote from: starmac on January 06, 2018, 03:15:26 AM
Man O Man, I never liked running a jack hammer standing on the ground, pretty sure I would not like up in the air. lol

I have a funny story about jackhammers. I worked for a contractor digging swimming swimming pools in the L A area years ago. We dug a pool a day, but on one particular jog we hit solid granite a foot down. We left but a day or two later was told to go back to the same location. When I got there, there was a huge air compressor and 5 jack hammers, the boss ask me if I mind running a jack hammer. I told him no, and he said good, he figured I might, that is when I said BUT, I'm not going to start digging a swimming pool with one. He said yep, that is exactly what I figured.

dynamite? yeah, probably not. I used to be a cable monkey at the phone company, so I'm not really afraid of heights. I AM afraid of falling, though, so.....

There was an opening at the phone company years ago for an antenna climber- I put in for it and got down to the final 4 candidates. My ex (when we were still married) found out and told me to withdraw, but I probably would've gotten the job- "must be able to climb 400' antenna in all types of weather, drive a snow-cat, snow mobile, and 4x4 vehicle in all types of weather." It was in Jackson Hole. Would have been heaven, I thought. Oh well.

starmac

Funny you mentioned dynamite. We had to jackhammer 12'6 in that granite on the deep end. The way I understood it, he paid 6 grand more for this with the plan that if that didn't cut it, we would blast it, but it would be another 6 grand on top of it.
Since I was not running a hammer and just running the loader and truck, when they got enough chipped out, I had a LOT of free time, the house owner would take me riding around the neighborhood in his vet, his wife drove a Mercedes. This guy was not doing too shabby for a state trooper.

Thank You Sponsors!