iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cat 525b

Started by Woodschopper, January 24, 2023, 09:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodschopper

Looking at new used skidders. This one came up for sale from a farmer down the road. 10k hours, no idea on history of rebuilds or anything like that. Dual arch. I drove it around and it seems to be in excellent shape. 

Priced at 45k which seems fair.

Two questions.

Is a skidder that big going to be a problem in a southern Michigan woodlot? I plan to keep my 440c for smaller jobs but I still wonder if I'll be restricted by the size of the Cat. This makes me wonder if I'd be better off selling the 440c and finding a 548 Deere or similar skidder to go in between.

Is there anyway to have a cat mechanic check the health on those transmissions? I've heard they need a rebuild every 10k hours.

Any input or advice would be great.

BargeMonkey

Kiko is the resident 525 guru as far as repairs. Has the newer style grapple or the esco ? I've been down this road with the little skidder / big skidder comparison, it's when guys operate like a mutant and smash everything up being lazy where the big skidders tend to make a mess. On 30.5s or 24.5s ? It makes just enough of a diff in tight woods. Cab doesn't tip, not the end of the world. 

kiko

The 525b is a good machine
 Future failure is hard to predict.  The front axle pivot will wear and the rear pin can come loose and put a hole in the engine oil pan. The 3126 mechanical engine is great, but it has a rack like a Detroit and requires tooling and knowledge to dial it in. When you get it there it is a robust engine . Check hinge motion as well.

Riwaka

If the woodlot is tight, a 525B with a winch (and grapple) to pull logs (if bucking in the woods) or fallen trees through narrow gaps, might be preferable to 'bulldozing, skinning standing trees' to get to cut logs on the ground to use the skidder grapple.

kiko

Also I failed to mention, You could take the transmission filter off and pour it through a paper rag to check metal or other contamination. 

Thank You Sponsors!