iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Great Forum, knowledge and laffs, can't get any better!

Started by Amax, January 29, 2012, 08:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amax

Hi everyone,

I've been trolling the forum for a number of weeks now and felt it was time to finally join and participate. 8)

I'm a total rookie in the milling business, in fact I'm still in the planning stages.  Enjoyed very much reading the forum archives and in particular have found Pnyberg's posts extremely informative and motivational to a newbie... Finding this forum is like striking gold for a rookie or anyone contemplating sawing or just wanting to learn more about the industry.

I have read so many informative (and often funny) posts from so many different people... but I must say kudos to MM, Bibbyman (love the historic photos post by the way), Kansas, Swampdonkey, Paul C, Jeff and Chuck W.  Your collective knowledge, willingness to share and sense of community is what finally led me to sign up and say hi.

A bit about me... While I don't think I'm having a mid life crisis, hitting 50 this year, means you tend to realize you probably reached the top of the hill and well maybe, just maybe it's time to have a bit of fun... and so I thought fun might come in the shape of a WM Bandsaw and a small operation processing a number of different hardwood products and see how the ride down the hill turns out... heck it might just be fun to go mobile after reading some of the stories on this forum even though that was not my first thought.

I consider myself extremely fortunate that I am able to approach a new chapter in my life without the need of a major income (at least for a while).  Having an opportunity to explore what you want to do rather than what you have to do is frankly a blessing.  I'm under no illusions I am "starting again" and finding this forum has underlined that I have an awful lot to learn about sawing, milling and forestry in general.

pc_smiley  smiley_swinging_board  smiley_chop

As a business owner with a background in production engineering, a while in the space industry and having spent longer in manufacturing than I care to own up to I'm hoping what experience I lack in this industry I can make up for with hard work, a willingness to learn and my experience in business. 

I look forward to many more hours sifting through the immense amount of information on this sight and interacting once and a while.

Cheers smiley_beertoast
Al
A man sooner or later discovers that he is the master-gardener of his soul, the director of his life.
James Allen

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
William Wallace

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

eastberkshirecustoms

Yup he's got the bug!
Welcome Al, from one to another.

ronwood

Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

sandhills

Welcome aboard Al, you definitely found the right spot to be if you want to learn about.......well, pretty much everything!

jueston

Bill Gaiche

Amax welcome. This is a great place to spend some time for just reading, looking at photos and learning something from everyone on here. bg

customdave

Heck ya!, welcome to this astonishing forum, there is a vast deep well of knowledge here, have fun & play safe...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Lud

Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

plowboyswr

Welcome, grab your chair kick back and be ready to read a while  :P as you've allready learned there's a vast knowlage base to be seen here and if you don't find the answer in the search catergory post it someone will know it or have a suggestion.  ;D Have some fun!
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Ozarkian

Hello, my name is Ozarkian.  I'm an addict.  I've been using since... Exactly January 16th 2012 at 9:02:13 pm, and have been hooked ever since.  My first time using was out of curiosity, but I can't stop.  The Forestry Forum is what I think about while I'm working, watching tv, and it even beckons me while im at the kitchen table from my phone.  If it wasn't so easily accessible I would be able to resist it... I think?  I don't want to resist.

Welcome AMAX 8) ;D, make yourself comfortable. You're gonna be here awhile! Once you "use" for the first time, your gonnna be a Forestry Forum addict to.

-Ozarkian
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Amax.  This is a very nice place to enjoy your "mid life crisis".   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Welcome Amax.    I rode my bike through Lunenberg  in 1978. You live in a nice place.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

Hello Al, and welcome to the Forestry Forum!

This is a really great place to learn the business or hobby.

Feel free to just jump right in and fire away with any questions you might have and if you can give assistance, do that too.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Raider Bill

Welcome to the FF! Hard to find a better group of people.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Meadows Miller

Gday

and Welcome the The Forum  Al ;) ;D ;D 8) It dont take long to pick up the Sawing Skills it only takes time to refine them to your style and way you like to do things and become a Sawyer I think you will do well Mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) smiley_thumbsup

As Bill and afew others said  ;)I dont think you could find a better group off people Mate   :) :) ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Amax

@everyone...

Thanks for the welcome.  I think at this point I'll have way more questions than answers to contribute... in an effort to try and minimize repeating past threads I will attempt to research as much in the archives as possible.

@Ozarkian... you are one funny dude :D

Al
A man sooner or later discovers that he is the master-gardener of his soul, the director of his life.
James Allen

William Wallace

Amax

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 30, 2012, 07:01:36 AM
Welcome Amax.    I rode my bike through Lunenberg  in 1978. You live in a nice place.

terrifictimbersllc yes it is a great place for sure... I'm actually located in Ottawa but have a holiday home there... I'm relocating out east next month for some fun and to enjoy the downhill leg in life...  8) ;D
Al
James Allen

William Wallace

Ga_Boy

Welcome Amax.   If you are thinking about doing something and not sure how to go about it or want to konw what not to do.  This is the place to ask, knowledge is shared freely.

I hope you like Grits..

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

mad murdock

Welcome aboard Amax!  Sounds like you will fit right in :)  Just wait till you open up your first log, there will be no turning back  ;)  (I like grits too ;D)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Misfit

Hi Amax and welcome from a transplanted next-door neighbour (PEI).  8)

I've been following this forum for a couple of months now and it's amazing how much one can learn from reading the different posts. Everyone who replies to a question is genuinely helpful and it's been very rare to find even a hint of sarcasm or nastiness in anyone's reply.

I'm planning for my next adventure in the coming 12-24 months and this is a great place to find out a lot of what I'll need to know. The only thing missing will be hands-on experience with a mill!  ;D

I need to do what you did and put my plans out there in a post and see what comments and advice I get. From everything I've seen so far, it's sure to be encouraging and helpful.
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

mad murdock

Quote from: The Canuck on January 30, 2012, 04:44:08 PM
The only thing missing will be hands-on experience with a mill!  ;D

Canuck, I am sure there are a lot of guys on here that will be willing to give you all the free "hands on" a guy could handle, if'n a guy was willing to work for it around their operation for a spell ;)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Misfit

[/quote]

Canuck, I am sure there are a lot of guys on here that will be willing to give you all the free "hands on" a guy could handle, if'n a guy was willing to work for it around their operation for a spell ;)
[/quote]

Thanks Murdock - I've actually thought about asking some of the sawyers within a few hours of where I live if I could give them a few days labor in return for any tips and tricks I could absorb. It might have to be on weekends though since I still work full-time. No stranger to hard work - growing up on a farm will do that to you!
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

038magnum

I think this is the best forum on the internet for anything about wood and sawmills. Thank you all for your posts! I am learning so much!

Thank You Sponsors!