iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

got the 371 home today

Started by tobycirclemill, February 03, 2012, 06:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tobycirclemill

I bouoght a 371 Detroit to spin my 50" handset corless mill I plan on starting the set up of the mill this weekend I'm having trouble finding a drive pulley 12"od 2 1/4id any help would be appreciated I'm located in moberly mo I'm new to the forum but its great lots of helpful info.
Experience is the best teacher but also the most costly

customsawyer

I can't help you but I can welcome you to the forum.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

whiskers

Welcome, you might find what you need here. http://www.mcmaster.com/#v-belt-pulleys/=g3dyrt
If you'd care to share your build we'd enjoy watching..... 
many irons in the fire.........

tobycirclemill

I'll see if I can get the wife to take some pictures. And send them I'm not to good. With computers. Thanks for the welcome and the info

dgdrls

Welcome aboard!!  you have to get photos up :)

dgdrls

paul case

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Sounds like you are getting underway and will soon be making sawdust, and lots of it too?
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bandmiller2

Toby welcome,big multi groove pulleys like you need are very expensive.I would look for used, junk yards,motor repair shops,and gravel pits are good places to look.You want to keep that detroit wound up.I take it you have the large pulley that goes on the arbor.You will want multiple belts to transfer the power to the arbor.My mill has six "C" series belts,and has never had any indication of slipping.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

rockman

Quote from: tobycirclemill on February 03, 2012, 06:56:11 PM
I bouoght a 371 Detroit to spin my 50" handset corless mill I plan on starting the set up of the mill this weekend I'm having trouble finding a drive pulley 12"od 2 1/4id any help would be appreciated I'm located in moberly mo I'm new to the forum but its great lots of helpful info.

You can probably find what your looking for at Grainger. If you have a Quarry near by, if they don't have one they will part with, they will know where you can get one. Good Luck

Kevin
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

eastberkshirecustoms

Welcome tobycirclemill, gotta love the sound of them detroiters!

tobycirclemill

Thanks for the welcome all I found an 8 grove 12" at a fellow dust makers.       That's 4 for the head saw and 4 for the edger that I might get some day.

mad murdock

Welcome to the forestry forum tobycirclemill.  Sounds like you will be cranking out lumber soon.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Ron Wenrich

We took those last 4 grooves on the pulley to run a hydraulic system.  From that, we ran our edger.  It did away with the long belts needed to get power unit from the unit to the edger.  You can run lots of stuff with a big enough hydraulic system.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

Toby,the 371 should handle the saw but your not wollowing in spare power.I would keep the parisitic loads off the engine if possible,like sawdust blower, big hyd. pump est.The very best thing is to have electric available to run auxiliaries,and creature comforts like a fan and lights. Frank C.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum tobycirclemill.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

apm

Toby, I've got an 11" OD by 2-1/4" ID five belt pulley that you can have if you can use it. It's got the tapered bushing for the shaft. Looks to be in good shape. That inch might make a difference on your power band with the 371, don't know. PM if you're interested, just pay freight.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

tobycirclemill

I do have electric available but its only single phase so motors get expensive. I

jason.weir

Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 04, 2012, 06:45:31 AM
Toby,the 371 should handle the saw but your not wollowing in spare power.I would keep the parisitic loads off the engine if possible,like sawdust blower, big hyd. pump est.The very best thing is to have electric available to run auxiliaries,and creature comforts like a fan and lights. Frank C.

Hey Frank... I just found this on the detroit diesel site..  Looks like with N80 injectors 100+ hp is possible with the 3-71..  Says 113 @ 2300 - not sure I'd want to stand next to it though... 

http://home.comcast.net/~jason.weir/ddpower.jpg

Jason

bandmiller2

One hundred HP sounds like alot but a sawdust blower and hyd. pump will take power right off the top, then swing the 50" saw in oak and you'll be backing off the feed. Frank C.

eastberkshirecustoms

Not sure if your 371 already has it, but you could hang the turbo on it in conjunction with the super. Also use the 80mm injectors adjusted with a 60mm injector tool to cheat some more ponies out of the beast.

jason.weir

Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 06, 2012, 08:27:51 PM
One hundred HP sounds like alot but a sawdust blower and hyd. pump will take power right off the top, then swing the 50" saw in oak and you'll be backing off the feed. Frank C.

no doubt - just better than the 75 or so it's probably got now..  Anybody got a 3-71 running @ 2300 - I'd like to see a video of that..

-J

dgdrls

eastberkshirecustoms

The ol' man tells me that back in the day, the Navy used 90mm injectors in the 71 series and ran them at 2500-2600 rpm in landing craft. That would be something to get a hold of- some surplus 90's and let the smoke fly!

sandhills

I don't have a 3-71 but do have a semi that has a 318 detroit, I don't shift until around 2k, and you have to be on top of downshifting or you're backing down the hill for another run at it  ;).  Those old detroits do scream, but compare the 2 stroke to a 4 stroke, just the way they were built.  (P.S. buy oil  :D)

bandmiller2

Those 71 series Detroits are quite an engine but have no bottom end and as sandyhills says you got to keep them wound up.Larger injectors help to a point then your dumping more fuel than you can burn with the available air.In my youth I worked in a fleet shop,it was my job on the third shift to make geldings out of the new highway tractors. They came with 65's I'd pull them and put in 55's.Often I'd hear the drivers say jeeze  when I picked up the new truck it seemed to have more power. Frank C.

swampbuggy

I loved the 71 and the 53 series engines. We got them from Gray Marine and many times had to swap them from left to right hand engines. I rebuilt a pile of Rockford clutches too. NOTHING screams like a 6V53..nothing... but those 1/2/3/4 71 series engines were a lot of fun to rebuild. Oh, putting a 471 blower on my cougar really made it go too!
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

Don_Papenburg

How about injecting a little propane in with the diesel ? that makes the black smoke all but disappear and puts more power to the PTO. Should cut fuel usage also
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

bandmiller2

Swampbuggy,I've been into alot of detroits but never had to convert one to leftie,what do you do about the oil pump.?  Frank C.

bandmiller2

I don't think our brother Toby will have any trouble powering with the 3-71 as long as the engine doesn't have to power auxiliaries.All my milling has been with diesels around 100 hp and they will handle it,you just have to slow the feed a little in big oak. Frank C.

swampbuggy

Bandmiller, We converted from left to right and had to swap out many parts to do it. Crankshaft, cams, rear gear set, oil pumps etc. The oil galley plugs has to be swapped so the oil would feed the head and drain correctly. The process was to strip the engine down to the bare block, redo the oil plugs, and go back with the correct rt hand parts. Fortunately, we has shelves of the stuff so you did a lot of rummaging around. Ah, those were the days...lol
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

bandmiller2

Swamper,thanks for the info,its more complicated than i figured. Frank C.

tobycirclemill

Thanks for all the info guys I am going to run a drag chain off of elec. Instead of a blower.
The only other load on the Detroit will be an edger when I can find one and ill just ease off the head saw when the edger is working hard on a wide board. I think this Detroit might be making fuel

captain_crunch

This Detroit is not over powered running this mill so would not think it would also power an edger
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!