iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cooks super sharp, is the video accurate ?

Started by vfauto, February 05, 2012, 07:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vfauto

???If you watch this video closely it looks like he is holding the competitors blade backwards with the teeth pointing in the opposite direction of when he is pushing the Supersharp blade into the wood.Has anyone tryed this test and are the blades that much different? I was just about ready to order the Sharpener and setter with the SS cam and change over to the SS blades. After noticing this in the video I am a little skepictal.I am hoping that it just looks wrong and is not true. The other question I have is if I have Timberking blades can I use the SS cam and let it change the profile to match the SS blade?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEo3n51AYOE&list=UU5BUppR0xy0FaE1gqNqMOKQ&index=1&feature=plcp
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

Chuck White

I looked at that section of the video a few times and it's just hard for me to tell what direction the teeth are pointing.

It's kind of hard to believe that Cook's would make a video to deceive the general public, so therefore I really don't think that the competitions blade is demonstrated backwards.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

I zoomed in on it, sure lookes like the teeth are backwards on the stanard blade to me.  I like Cooks but after trying a couple Supersharp went back to my Simonds.  If they cut faster the ones I got had less set which would lead to faster sawing and I couldn't cut as straight with them, plus those little pointy teeth aren't very tough when hitting nails.  A normal blade has a maybe a 45* angle on the back of the tooth and I can't see that interfearing with penatration.     Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Bodger

If you full screen the video and look at 2:03 and 2:19 you can get a pretty good view of how he's holding the blade.  Ummmm?
Work's fine for killing time but it's a shaky way to make a living.

bandmiller2

"V" I think your right about tooth direction,we'll let younger eyes tell for sure.I do know the supersharp bands cut well and you could not go wrong with the bands and the cats claw sharpener.I have a friend that swears by the supersharps,I know they give an exceptional finish.I have one to try but haven't used it yet.If you get the cats claw with the SS cam just order one outher cam ether simonds or timberwolf and you should be good to go for standard teeth. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sdunston

I too zoomed in and it does apear that the first blade the teeth are facing backwards. But he does wiggle the blade around so it should stick into the wood.
   I purchased a box of 15 SS blades a few years back and think they work great in frozen wood comepaired to a WM 10*, But that all I have ran it against.....JMO. I dont think Tim Cook would do this unless he could back up his claims, I rank him as one of the top blade Guys in the bandmill field.

Thanks Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

ladylake

Like I said I like Cooks but think it's a lot of marketing with these blades, . In the vid he pushing in the wrong direction for the blades to stick, even if the blade wouldn't stick pushed the right way it's no big deal as no way the back of the tooth prevents penetration. How much of a cut does each tooth take , I'd guess may a 1/16 or so.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Jaybolicious

This video actually made me laugh.  He clearly pushes down on the standard blade in the wrong direction, there's just absolutely no denying it.  Someone should do a mini video to show how he did it, pretty clever fella. Listening to him, he had me sold before I saw the demo.  I'm sure those blades are good, but it is funny what companies and politicians will do to get ahead.  Great eye noticing that.
  Is his statement true, that these blades cut 40% faster, well everyone would be crazy not to use them.   If they don't cut at least 40% faster than my WM blades, will they return me my money? If they do I would say they are a smart company, getting people to try their blade and there may be a placebo effect which gets them more business.  People may say, "you know it's not 40% faster, but heck it's faster." c

tyb525

I get a bad gut feeling about Cooks when I see their advertisements and catalogs. Seems like they make a lot of hype about their products but I don't feel confident when I look at their products.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Cutting Edge

:o  Yup!! Can see clear as day when he raises the blade from the wood, with red background of the sharpener. 

Good Catch.  Kinda makes a person think!! smiley_headscratch
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Bodger

So the question is: will they address this or ignore it?
Work's fine for killing time but it's a shaky way to make a living.

petefrom bearswamp

I just came from my shop where I tried both Cooks and WM blade sections.
both picked the piece of western red cedar up easily when inserted in the same direction.
I have used WM, Cooks and Suffolk blades and all cut well.
All have different profiles.
I my opinion, the 40 % faster is bull tookie.
Both the cooks and suffolk blades have a tooth or 2 out of sequence at the weld, namely a right set tooth then the weld and then the 3rd  tooth is not set to the right or ground flat and is not settable.
I have had issues with Cooks blades in the past, and after discussion with a very helpful rep from cooks have received some new blades which he told me are of a different steel than the Simonds that was used in the old ones.
I have only used one so far and don't saw this time of year so the spring start up will tell.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

terrifictimbersllc

If he's pushing both straight down it shouldn't make much difference which way the teeth are pointed.  I think it's just an oversight in making the video.

Apparently they believe their teeth are pointier and say they have measurements to back it up.  Here's one of their US patent applications wherein they claim that certain blade geometries are superior and unexpectedly so, and cite ease of penetration, staying sharp longer, decreased fuel use, and increased interval between blade changes.  See list of observations cited in paragraph 0036   : http://www.patentstorm.us/applications/20070199416/description.html   

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bandmill Bandit

the competitor blade is definitely reversed in the video. I took a screen shot in 1080P and zoomed in as far as possible. May have been an over sight in the video demo but I have my doubts. I just did the exact same test with WM double hard on a piece of pine. When you use the same action he uses in the video they pick up the piece just fine. Reverse the teeth and you cant pick it up unless you change the push action to match the direction of the teeth.

Looks to me like just some more of the timber king propaganda machine that used to be known as Pravda.

False advertising!!!

I was thinking of trying their blade. Not any more!

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

hamish

Give them the benefit of doubt and allow them the chance to come clean or prove us wrong.............most likely now they are fast asleep on the couch although they had the best intentions of watching the game.

But yes clear as day the "competitors blade was backwards, and the force applied to it was frontal along the backside of the tooth.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

LOGDOG

I hesitate to comment on this thread but I've watched this video several times. The "mistake" of the backwards blade is not just done with the first blade that has a 7/8' tooth spacing in the first demonstration. It's also done with the "second" blade that has the 5/8" tooth spacing.  :-\

There are other things in the video that I take exception to but I'll leave it there for now.

vfauto

If you would not mind can you share the other things, it would sure help to make a good decision on what sharpener to purchase.Afetr all that is what we all try to do, help each other the best we can and possibly clear up any misconceptions.Thanks!
Quote from: LOGDOG on February 06, 2012, 09:07:09 AM
I hesitate to comment on this thread but I've watched this video several times. The "mistake" of the backwards blade is not just done with the first blade that has a 7/8' tooth spacing in the first demonstration. It's also done with the "second" blade that has the 5/8" tooth spacing.  :-\

There are other things in the video that I take exception to but I'll leave it there for now.
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

CooksSaw

Rarely do I like to comment in threads like this that start out as a legitimate observation and question then escalates to the point that someone actually accuses a company of false advertising.
I filmed the video, I've jammed standard blades into wood, the direction of the tooth doesn't matter. I've been a close personal friend of Tim for nearly 20yrs. and I can assure you that it was just an oversight and I'm sure the thought of which direction the teeth were pointing didn't cross his mind, and yes it even happens twice in the video.
Why not just try it yourself and see?
But give some people the benefit of the doubt. We haven't been in business for over 40yrs. deceiving or cheating people.

James
Leaders In Bandsaw Technology!
Your source for Portable Sawmills, Board Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Band Blades, and Parts
Visit us at Portable Sawmill parts and bandsaw blades from Cook's Saw or call 1-800-473-4804
Email: james@cookssaw.com

vfauto

I had no idea this would be such a hot topic I was just asking a question.Post #14 suggest that he did do the test.
Quote from: CooksSaw on February 06, 2012, 12:25:44 PM
Rarely do I like to comment in threads like this that start out as a legitimate observation and question then escalates to the point that someone actually accuses a company of false advertising.
I filmed the video, I've jammed standard blades into wood, the direction of the tooth doesn't matter. I've been a close personal friend of Tim for nearly 20yrs. and I can assure you that it was just an oversight and I'm sure the thought of which direction the teeth were pointing didn't cross his mind, and yes it even happens twice in the video.
Why not just try it yourself and see?
But give some people the benefit of the doubt. We haven't been in business for over 40yrs. deceiving or cheating people.

James

beenthere

Quote from: CooksSaw on February 06, 2012, 12:25:44 PM
........Why not just try it yourself and see?

James

Good comment James. Glad you did step in, as it was becomming a run-away-discussion.
We need to make our own minds up with most advertising we see, and not be negative regards an attempt to give us materials with which to make a decision.

If I were to compare the different blades, I think I would make up a "sled" with the blades as runners. Then have the different blades be the "runners" and drag that sled across a piece of wood (but end grain, not side grain for reality) while measuring the pull of the drag using something like a pound scale.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kansas

I have posted before that we didn't have any luck with the supersharp blades when we tried that. Might just be us.  But never doubt the quality and endurance of their sharpener. You can change hook angles, change pitch and depth of grind (through different cams), different widths. Its easy to use. Woodmizer may have a more "pure" grinder with their new one. And for some people that will be the cat's meow. But with the Cook's,  when you have to change hook angle due to going to frozen logs, its a snap. You can try different blades with different teeth spacing, simply by changing the cam. Try different gullet configurations. The price can't be beat. Not sure what year we bought ours but its got to be at least 13 or 14 years old. If you want a versatile grinder that gets the job done, it will.

Jeff

After removing the last post made here, which I feel was way out of line. This topic has been locked.  Remember, this forum is here to help, and our sponsors and future sponsors make sure it remains here to do just that. Putting a sponsor, or any company for that matter in a no-win position and then continuing to take jabs at them is not the Forestry Forum way.  If you want answers from a sponsor on something outside of the norm, use a more private way of doing it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!