iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you identify this wood?

Started by dlabrie, February 05, 2012, 11:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlabrie

Can anyone tell me what type of wood this 40 year old floor is?

Thanks
David in NH

Jeff

Sure looks like plane sawn white oak to me.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

dlabrie

Thanks Jeff,
My wife and i were talking about it and I had always assumed it was maple but realized I had no idea why.
David in NH

petefrom bearswamp

can you gouge it easily with your fingernail?
from the appearance, I'm thinking it is a hardwood but doesn't look like maple
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

shelbycharger400

dlabrie

Quotecan you gouge it easily with your fingernail?
No, It is quite tough.
David in NH

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Just looking at it, I'm not sure it's all the same species. I have sawn my share of White Oak and it resembles that.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

I think Jeff sees the rays, which along with the color will make it white oak.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

nas

I have some elm floor in my house that looks similar.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

millwright

Looks like white oak, I just finished milling some and it looks real similar.

Bandmill Bandit

I think jeff is likely right, but some pieces look a lot like the Ash in our dinning room table.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

jueston

i would guess oak, i have a maple floor and it doesn't look like that, mine has a lot of figure which might be unique to it, but that sure looks like oak to me.

mikeb1079

first thought was ash but i think the boss is right:  plain sawn white oak.
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tyb525

Definite white oak :), only other possibility is red oak
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Okrafarmer

I was wondering if it were 2 or more species, white oak and something else, possibly birch? Or ash or hickory. I have seen a floor with those brown dots over the nails (supposedly; I didn't think there were any actual nails or screws in the top. I thought the brown dots were supposed to look like pegs). The only place I ever saw those brown dots like that was in a home in Pittsfield Maine.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

jueston

i think the dots look cool, weather or not they actually hide screws or are just for show, they look good.

tyb525

The varying colors are due to sapwood in some of the flooring boards :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

fat olde elf

Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

I ain't arguing with the Boss  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Oh come on, surely we can make 5 or 6 pages out of this thread.  :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dlabrie

I think the verdict is in....
White Oak:) White Oak:) White Oak:)
Thanks everyone for your help :D
David in NH

Jeff

Oh, I'm afraid we can't settle it that easy. We are in the process of rounding up bus fair to send Swamp Donkey and a skill saw to your site to take a cross sampling of floor sections for further analysis.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Brad_bb

Looking at end grain would answer the question for sure.  Oak is very easily identified in the endgrain.  There's a clear demarkation in the rings of solid fibers, and then a row of vessels that carry sap/water.  The two boards on the far right and the upper middle are lighter in color and have definite characteristics of flat sawn white oak.  The darker lower middle boards might throw some people off though.  They could be white oak that is just darker heartwood, or they could be another species.  I would suspect it's all white oak.  I don't think the lighter ones are sapwood.  Some white oak is lighter in color and some heartwood of white oak is a little darker as you go in.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!