iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Very large black cherry tree market?

Started by air1514, December 05, 2017, 09:54:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

air1514

The place I'm Logging in arkansas has a black cherry tree that's about the size of full-size pickup trucks hood at the base of it. It holds its size well and is probably 70 ft tall where it would be topped. Is there a market at all for black cherry?

Resonator

There's a current subject thread on cherry yard logs in saw milling you could read.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

TKehl

Nope.  Just send me your address and I'll take that troublesome tree off your hands.  Can't be more than 4-8 hour drive one way.   ;) :) ;D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

BargeMonkey

Your best bet is to get a hold of whatever log buyer you've got, get it out and let them mark it, cherry is hard to tell, between bird peck and "target".

TKehl

Good chance it is full of ants or hollow.  That's what the big cherry up here tends to do.

Defect to a log buyer, but something a woodworker can make good use of.  Ant holes+Epoxy=awesome.   ;D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Decked

and to think back in my heyday, our Black Cherry was going for $5+ per foot...

nativewolf

Quote from: Decked on December 06, 2017, 08:01:08 AM
and to think back in my heyday, our Black Cherry was going for $5+ per foot...

I know I know, prices are low now but, not terrible.  We are getting 600-800/MBF for ok logs.  If we had a veneer log we can get 2000/mbf
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

We are seeing quite a few older large cherry on two tracts where we are chasing Walnut.  I wonder if it is because prices fell so much? 
Liking Walnut

Firewoodjoe

Black cherry around here is right up there with the rest. Native you act like 6-800 is ok but not the best? I can only remember the highest grade was 1200. That was hard maple before 2008. The mill we haul to is selling veneer to China for $5 a foot.

nativewolf

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on December 06, 2017, 07:29:20 PM
Black cherry around here is right up there with the rest. Native you act like 6-800 is ok but not the best? I can only remember the highest grade was 1200. That was hard maple before 2008. The mill we haul to is selling veneer to China for $5 a foot.
Veneer Cherry logs or Veneer Maple wood? 

Either way if they are paying $1.2 /bdft for logs, and selling end product at $5.00 I think that's a pretty steep increase.  Wouldn't 3x be more normal? so 3.6.  That extra $1.4  split between mill and logger would bump cherry up to $1.9 and that sounds much better to me  ;D.   However, I may be off base.  I can remember when, long ago, Cherry did get over 2/bdft if it was PA or Appalachian Cherry. 

In dimensional lumber the price markup is much much less and in Walnut, what I know best, the markup is less. 
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: BargeMonkey on December 05, 2017, 06:23:27 PM
Your best bet is to get a hold of whatever log buyer you've got, get it out and let them mark it, cherry is hard to tell, between bird peck and "target".

Also, we have lots of heart rot here in VA.  Well maybe we get to see what that Cherry looks like, bids are in.
Liking Walnut

Firewoodjoe

Logger bought Stumpage cut and trucked to the mill grade only in log form is what I'm talking. And the veneer at $5 a foot is the mill reselling it in log form.

nativewolf

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on December 07, 2017, 05:34:11 PM
Logger bought Stumpage cut and trucked to the mill grade only in log form is what I'm talking. And the veneer at $5 a foot is the mill reselling it in log form.

So reselling the veneer logs at $5/bdft wow...can't you find a log exporter?  Here in N VA the log exporters make all the world of difference and have doubled the price we get for Walnut. 

If you grade and remove the veneer logs and #1 logs for sale to the exporter you might find a huge jump in income.
Liking Walnut

Stoneyacrefarm

Hard to get veneer quality up our way.
Like barge said. Bird peck. Pitch.
I've sold 2 trailer loads of it and not 1 stick graded veneer.
I pulled a nice stem out last Saturday.
It was 62' long. 23" at the tip.  8)
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Stoneyacrefarm

Work hard. Be rewarded.

JB Griffin

Nope. It ain't worth much here. Most likely shakey as all get out, most if not all the big one are around here. I have two logs laying around that will almost split themselves they are so shakey, one is 24" across the butt 20" top and has several shakes that all but make a full circle.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Stoneyacrefarm

Ours isn't shakey at all.
Just bird peck and pitch on some of it.
I have some nice clear logs.
They just don't get excited about it like they do in Pennsylvania.
I'm curious to see what it will bring for the truck load.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

TKehl

Our local cherry doesn't grow very well.  I think it is a combo of the wind and the ground I think.  Very crooked growth and if it gets to 10" before dying dad and I look on with amazement at such a big Cherry.   :D

There are exceptions, but rare, and usually grow under the canopy of mature Oaks.  As such they grow so slow, that most are hollow or at least filled with ants. 

nativewolf

Quote from: Stoneyacrefarm on December 09, 2017, 01:55:07 AM
Ours isn't shakey at all.
Just bird peck and pitch on some of it.
I have some nice clear logs.
They just don't get excited about it like they do in Pennsylvania.
I'm curious to see what it will bring for the truck load.

Doesn't look like that should have a problem grading well.  Nice tree 8).
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

We have the same cherry as Tkehl.  3" thick mcdonalds arches, only good for deer thickets and ivy ladders.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!