iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shingles on an LT-10 ?

Started by Indiana Robinson, July 06, 2012, 05:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indiana Robinson

Has anyone built something like a single block tipper that would clamp on something like an LT-10?
I want to make a few and have several ideas but then why re-invent the wheel if not needed.
I don't want to roof a bunch of stadiums  :), just mostly decoration on a few gables and maybe even part of a smallish wall in one room of the house.
Something quick and simple...

Did I mention that it is hot?

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.
Once owned a Kasco mill that would saw a 30"x24' log. Now a new little LT-10 Woodmizer for my own lumber.
And yes, my woodshop is seriously infested with Shopsmiths.
Old geezer trying hard not to be one. :-)

fishpharmer

There may be others, planman1954 bought or made a neat shingle making fixture.  You might try searching his old posts if he doesn't see this one.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

redbeard

Beveled siding and tapered shingles are nice but you can also get the same look using 1/2" or 5/8 thin slices off of cants, just apply a narrow starter to get the taper going. Or you can make a simple jig using a nice 2x12. Cut your shake bolts at even lengths 18" long. Make you a stick 1/2"x1/2" and place it under your blocks on the ends to raise it , drill a couple of holes at angle so you can anchor blocks or bolts to your 2x12 with some decking screws also fix you a solid stop using some short strips of broken blades to help hold other end of blocks. Just remove 1/2x1/2" stick every other pass do as many bolts that you want to line up 5 is reasonable and just clamp 2x12 to bed rails with log clamp. Hope this makes sense.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Woodsrover

That's on my list of things to do.  I'd love to make my own shingles for a few of the planned projects around here.  looking forward to more ideas and maybe even some photos.

Planman1954

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

thecfarm

Planman,I forgot about that thread, I bookmarked it. Thank you. It was a nice journey to follow.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Indiana Robinson

Thanks... This stuff is exactly what I was hoping to see.

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.
Once owned a Kasco mill that would saw a 30"x24' log. Now a new little LT-10 Woodmizer for my own lumber.
And yes, my woodshop is seriously infested with Shopsmiths.
Old geezer trying hard not to be one. :-)

Thank You Sponsors!