iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

easy garage part two

Started by woodmills1, September 17, 2004, 07:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

got to spend 2 days working on my addition.  The first was spent attacking the walnut root from %$#@.  Went for a single pass through it below the floor level after using an axe to chip most of the bark, dirt and rocks off.  Well even though I expected to sharpen the chain on the 066 a few times I wasnt prepared for the half inch iron bar 2 inches from the center.  Ended up ripping and splitting it into chunks.  Any interest turners?

Got the footing forms in place after some more digging the second day.  The backhoe attachment on the metavic is pretty good for its size.  And hey the willow I cut for grins last year made good forms.  Concrete on monday!

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

poured the concrete in the footings today with the help of the lovely wife.  It went pretty well.  I will post more pictures wed. after I get some wall forms up.  Have to work in lowell tomorrow.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Quartlow

At least your getting closer,

What I wish I lived closer that would make some great turning material  8) 8) 8)  With that chunk of iron in it theres bound to be some black streaking going on
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

woodmills1

Hey I have shipped a lot of stuff I have been selling on EBay so If ya want I will box one up for ya.

woodmills1

Been hard at it for a couple of days.  Poured the footings on monday and have been makin the wall forms from inch and a half pine.

Do you think I have enough braces so it wont blow out?

sure is nice to have the woodmizer and the tractor loader backhoe as support on this job.  Cut some 4 foot logs bring them to the mizer and cut them on the spot.  Not to mention ripping stock for the braces and the stakes.

Bruce_A

Unless you are going to pour that wall real slow and real dry, you better have a few snap ties or bolts to hold things together better.

Quartlow

I agree with a Bruce looks like some snap ties are in order,

As for the walnut, it would be nice but with being restricted from work right now its kind of out the question, wife would kill me for getting wood shipped in. But thanks anyway
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

woodmills1

The tall part will be filled to about 38" height and the short part to 32".  I don't quite know how I would add snap ties to this set up.  I have used bolts in the past, using electric conduit on the inside to pass them through.  Would you suggest bolts at top or bottom or?  The footing forms are still in place with the form boards set up against a shoe that is screwed into the footing forms.

Joe W

Hey Woodmills I'm up in Bradford I have abunch of brackets and cleats and miscellanious attachments your welcome to borrow.Send me an email if your interested.Goodluck Joe

Quartlow

how thick are the forms? It's been years since I had any experiance with this and my brother is the concrete man.

I would think you need some half way up and and some pieces nailed across the top to keep it from spreading

I'm always for the more is better routine when I'm not sure. I would hate to see you get it halfway poured and then have the form bust out.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Buzz-sawyer

I built 4x8 forms outta 3/4 plywood before, and used ALL thread cut to 6'' lenght , Drilled holes on opposite sides andplaced all thread trough, then washers and nuts on each side, they were spaced every 1' it held up fine for a 4 foot wall. :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Bruce_A

Place some ties at the halfway point, bolts and a coupler will work or all thread and nuts.  Run them through a vertical strongback that runs from top to bottom on the outside of your whalers about every four feet.  The strongback is a double 2x or 4x, and pour in two equal lifts, and all will be fine.  Make sure the corners are tied good.

Bruce_A

After looking one more time at the photos, adding another whaler to cross the joints will reduce the number of weak spots. Good luck.

woodmills1

Thanks for all the responses. The wall is 8 inches wide.  I called two friends in the business today to come look after reading here this morning.  The first said I would be fine, just pour stiff and slow.  The second, who I really respect, said for me to add some cleats where my braces meet the whalers and to put some stakes at the far end of the top most braces.  This was to make sure I wasnt relying on the screws but transfering the force to the whalers.  He also said I was probably ok as is due to the short height, and again slow and stiff ( the pour not me lol).  I have about 6 feet to finish so I will let you know monday after the concrete is here.
Joe thanks for the offer, we should get together some time as we are near each other.

woodmills1

The concrete got here at 11 as planned.  The lovely wife and I poured it stiff and slow (lol) there was some spreading in 2 spots and I got scared the two times I heard a big snap.  We did it in two lifts, man can those all wheel drive front loader trucks manuver.  The hardest part was pusin the small hoe up and down to vibrate the forms full on the first lift,  old fart that I am.  But, the top is trowled and the bolts are in and I am relaxing.  It took almost 3 hours but relly went quite well, and I have to add that at 5 foot even, Kathy is quite the worker, though she has never run a skidder!

Bruce_A

ScottAR

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Quartlow

Look Great, now I have concrete wall envy ;D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

woodmills1

Wait till next monday when I pour the floor!

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Quartlow

QuoteWait till next monday when I pour the floor!

Yeah thats it go ahead, rub it in!!! ;D Thats all right I'll get mine you just wait ;D ;D ;D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

woodmills1

will start to strip the forms tomorrow, we had rain yesterday and I worked moving my sister in law today.  I want to get the walls backfilled so I can put the loader arm back on the metavic.  I like the backhoe attachment but really miss that claw when it is on the ground.

woodmills1

stripped the forms yesterday and today and started to backfill, though I was tamping right up till dark so only have wall pictures.  The town inspector said nice job for a one man show.

woodmills1

ok almost ready for the floor concrete tomorrow!

Gilman

Thanks for the posts Woodmills, looking good  8)

Could we get a few photos from further back to get a wider view of your layout?

Thanks again,

Gilman
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

woodmills1

Ok I will try tomorrow or so for a wider shot.  Poured the floor today and It went well.  Though concrete isn't like wood.  I mean you can leave a tree on the mill and go for lunch or what ever, but with concrete it tell you when to work it.  So. I was out there trowling just awhile ago ina dark.  Here are some shots after running the screed and the bull/mag float.

Furby

Looking good!  8) 8) 8)
Yeah that concrete sure ISN'T like wood. Had to leave to get to the bank before they closed, so I trowled it while it was still a tad wet. Was to dry when I got home. Oh well, I don't mind a few small lines.

I like working with wood better!!!  ;D

woodmills1

It really didn't come out too bad for trowling in the dark.  Got the burlap on it the next day and have kept it flooded with water.  It was dang near freezing tues night so I wet it down every 2 hours all night, thought the thermometer only bottemed at 34 degrees.  Been working with the backhoe at a customers so won't be framing till  sat or sun.

Thank You Sponsors!