iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Furniture Tools

Started by kentucky_ young_buck, February 23, 2013, 10:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kentucky_ young_buck

I am interested in building some log furniture for my home. I have been looking online for some tenon cutter and self feeding bore bits for my drill, but most of the tenon cutter bits are $100+ each. Does anyone know of any websites besides eBay that might have these tools for sale. I'm trying to get some at a reasonable price but everything I've seen has been pretty expensive considering I'll probably need two or three bits to get started. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Lud

Tooling like what you're talking about can be hard to justify unless you intend to go into production.

After all,  they're just oversized pencil sharpeners, right?  and there's more than one way to skin a cat........

When I did a bit of rustic furniture work , I used some deep hole saws and Forstner bits and a favorite drawknife.  The holesaw can be put to the end of a branch and the core is left to become the tenon.  You saw and shave reveal the "X" diameter tenon.  Then use an appropriate size Forstner to create the mortise.  Slide a sharp knife into the hole from the 4 downhill directions to flare the hole a bit to match the tenon, eh?

Solve the puzzle like 'dem old Swedes in da video!
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

DaleK

Check out www.homemadetools.net, under the woodworking section they have some home made mortising jigs, etc. etc. Lud's on a good track to start out, or use rectangular mortising.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is great Dale. I have added this website to my favorites. Thanks.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

DaleK

Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

isawlogs

That site is good, I already saw tow or three things I need to do. Like I need anymore  ::)   :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

clww

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 24, 2013, 12:39:34 PM
This is great Dale. I have added this website to my favorites. Thanks.
Me too! Great tip, Dale. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

kentucky_ young_buck

Thanks for the tips. I have found some self feeding bore bits pretty cheap online along with some hole saw bits. Any ideas on a "good" draw knife? I've been looking at a few, but like anything don't want over pay for just a name.

Lud

So you  heat an old file's tip and pound a second tang,  heat the middle and pound it into a blade with a flat bottom.   Turn a couple of handles  out of hardwood,  Heat the tangs , bend to 45 degrees, reheat the tip and plunge the drilled handle onto them for a perfect fit and later CA gluing.   Put an edge on with a slow-speed grinder and you'll have a great drawknife very economically..... ;) ;)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

rickb140

illmill

I used to build log furniture for a living.  I have never used a tenon cutter.  What we did was used Milwaulkee self-feed bits to drill holes in legs, rails, and posts.  We would drill 3" holes  in bed posts for rails to fit into, 2" holes in the rails for spindles to fit into.  To shape the end of the rail to fit into the 3" hole, I would drill into the end of the rail with a 3 1/8" hole saw, then peel the rail with a draw knife down to the circle cut by the hole saw.  I would only cut in with the hole saw deep enough to mark it.  I always peeled the logs in a straight taper.  Fatter logs need a longer taper.  Worked very well.  Very natural look, not machined, very tight fit.  Spindles would get marked on the end with a 2 1/8" hole saw to fit a 2" hole. We were using lodgepole pine and aspen.

44woody

try baileys they have a tenon cutter that i realy like

Thank You Sponsors!