iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planning stage of new bandmill build

Started by rrleesb, December 18, 2017, 09:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrleesb

V groove rollers or U groove for the carriage?  I have looked at Cooks and the Linn site and they are both about $55 bucks each.  There must be a better option.  What should I be searching for?  Ebay?

I'm getting ready to put my steel order in so I'd like to nail down a plan.

ktm250rider

i found V-Groove Castors on ebay for about 40 bucks for 4.  They are a little over 2 inches wide so i had to change my mounting plan.  Otherwise the wheels would have hit my back stops.

Kbeitz

E-bay...  Search

3"Inch Steel V Groove Wheel Driveway Gate Wheel Single Bearing Slide Gate 2 PCS

$26.00
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

I ended up ordering from linn when I decided not to use angle for the rails. My thought was if I drop something on the point of the angle it will bulge out both side and create a bump in the track. That is why I chose the 3/8" with linn rollers.

If only I had a lathe. I would have found the bearings I liked and made my own wheels. Turning 4 wheels at work takes a little to much time.

rrleesb

Ok, got some basic plans drawn up.   How does this look?  It's an adjustable bunk using a fine thread 3/4" bolt into a welded in nut on the bottom side.

24' x 4' flat top area of trailer and the about 30" forward for the trailer hitch

Bunk detail

Attaching bracket

Any issues you can see with the above plan?

Ljohnsaw

Some questions...

Are the side pieces for your track/frame 2x5?  What wall thickness?  I would recommend no less than 3/16" with 1/4" being much better (just heavy).  What is the spacing on your bunks?  They look too close together.  I've found that you need between 5 and 7 feet between bunks to allow for logs with sweeps - makes it easier to level them.  I did movable bunks so I can have anywhere from 2' on up if I get short stuff. 

Are you trying to show that you will have two straps (each end) on your adjustable bunks with a bolt going through to tighten up when you have them set?  I'm not sure if there is much benefit there with the adjustable.  Your track MUST be absolutely flat and the bunks just need to be all the same height - if not a flat track but you adjust your bunks to be flat, your boards will come out bad.  Also, are your adjustable bunk bars 2"?  The first time you drop a 4,000# log on them, it might bend with that very long span between supports (bolts).

Is that a piece of flat bar on the left that will act as the rail for you head (v-groove wheels?)?  Make sure there is sufficient space for sawdust to get out of the way.  I have my head riding on the edge of 1/4" angle and the sawdust still manages to pack into the v-grooves!   I need to install track wipers.

Sorry to sound negative.  Just trying to help you head off potential problems.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Crusarius

I agree with ljohnsaw.

The one thing I would change is the tongue. if you are having to walk around the front of the mill a lot you will not like the tongue sticking out. I made mine with a receiver tube that can remove the tongue so I can remove it. This serves 2 purposes. first, I can take it off and have it completely out of the way so I do not have to walk around it or constantly tag my knees on it. Second makes it much harder for a would be thief to borrow it when the tongue is in my truck and going home with me.

I will post pics when I get them uploaded. I just finished it today.

rrleesb

Quote from: ljohnsaw on December 26, 2017, 04:22:33 PM
Some questions...

Are the side pieces for your track/frame 2x5?  What wall thickness?  I would recommend no less than 3/16" with 1/4" being much better (just heavy).  What is the spacing on your bunks?  They look too close together.  I've found that you need between 5 and 7 feet between bunks to allow for logs with sweeps - makes it easier to level them.  I did movable bunks so I can have anywhere from 2' on up if I get short stuff. 

Are you trying to show that you will have two straps (each end) on your adjustable bunks with a bolt going through to tighten up when you have them set?  I'm not sure if there is much benefit there with the adjustable.  Your track MUST be absolutely flat and the bunks just need to be all the same height - if not a flat track but you adjust your bunks to be flat, your boards will come out bad.  Also, are your adjustable bunk bars 2"?  The first time you drop a 4,000# log on them, it might bend with that very long span between supports (bolts).

Is that a piece of flat bar on the left that will act as the rail for you head (v-groove wheels?)?  Make sure there is sufficient space for sawdust to get out of the way.  I have my head riding on the edge of 1/4" angle and the sawdust still manages to pack into the v-grooves!   I need to install track wipers.

Sorry to sound negative.  Just trying to help you head off potential problems.

No problems sounding negative, I was soliciting advise and I take it as such.

The rails will be 2x6 3/16" wall, and the cross members will be 2x4 3/16".  The top bunks will be 2x2 1/4" wall.  I had laid out a 30" spacing for the bunks.  Too close?  I'll space them out further if need be.  Should I leave a few bunks closer together?

The flat bar is the same setup that  Crusarius is using with a U groove roller.  Like what Linn Sawmills sells.

rrleesb

Quote from: Crusarius on December 26, 2017, 05:47:33 PM

The one thing I would change is the tongue. if you are having to walk around the front of the mill a lot you will not like the tongue sticking out. I made mine with a receiver tube that can remove the tongue so I can remove it. This serves 2 purposes. first, I can take it off and have it completely out of the way so I do not have to walk around it or constantly tag my knees on it. Second makes it much harder for a would be thief to borrow it when the tongue is in my truck and going home with me.

Is a receiver style tube stout enough for a heavy sawmill or to haul logs?

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: rrleesb on December 26, 2017, 07:50:24 PM
No problems sounding negative, I was soliciting advise and I take it as such.

The rails will be 2x6 3/16" wall, and the cross members will be 2x4 3/16".  The top bunks will be 2x2 1/4" wall.  I had laid out a 30" spacing for the bunks.  Too close?  I'll space them out further if need be.  Should I leave a few bunks closer together?

The flat bar is the same setup that  Crusarius is using with a U groove roller.  Like what Linn Sawmills sells.

You should have a space to be able to take short logs - perhaps 30 to 36".  IMO, the rest should be no closer than 4' and 6' is not too far apart.

I just wanted to make sure you were NOT using a flat roller on the flat face of the 2x6.  How will you attach it?  Bolts so you don't warp it with welding?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

rrleesb

Does Woodmizer not use an adjustable bunk setup?  I was just trying to copy a successful design.

Magicman

Yes they are adjustable and after 15 years of sawing mine have never needed "re-adjusting".   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crusarius

Quote from: rrleesb on December 26, 2017, 07:51:55 PM

Is a receiver style tube stout enough for a heavy sawmill or to haul logs?

I hope so. if not I will make it beefier but I think it will be fine the tube will be 6' long 42" sticking out.

coyotebait

I agree with ljohnsaw.

I will post pics when I get them uploaded. I just finished it today.
maybe a telescoping tongue to get it out of the way.

Crusarius

ooh. I like the telescoping tongue. slide it all the way in when not towing pull it back out and pin it in place for towing. To late to put that in my build but kool idea.

Thank You Sponsors!