iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

540b lost all hydraulics

Started by colelogging, December 28, 2017, 01:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colelogging

While pulling a hitch in second gear(jd 540b)I felt a slight clunk and lost everything related to the hydraulics.No trans,no blade,no steering,winch driveshaft barely turns...fluid level is good....ideas?Gonna be fun getting her out of the woods!

dnash

Sounds like the clutch. If the winch driveshaft isn't spinning with the eng e, I wuld start there.
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

coxy

are the 540s like the 440s with a live pto even when the clutch pushed in the pto still has power

jdeere540a

Yes coxy they are live like the 440s. It dose sound like the clutch but I don't know why you lost your blade and steering they run of the front pump that runs off the crank 

coxy

it would have to be the pressure plate  even if the clutch disk  went bad the pressure plate is bolted to the fly wheel and it would still have to turn still making the pto live no

coxy

Quote from: colelogging on December 28, 2017, 01:13:51 PM
While pulling a hitch in second gear(jd 540b)I felt a slight clunk and lost everything related to the hydraulics.No trans,no blade,no steering,winch driveshaft barely turns...fluid level is good....ideas?Gonna be fun getting her out of the woods!
where are you located I have a almost new clutch and pressure plate you could have I no longer have a use for it  don't know if a 440a is the same but if it is your welcome to it   

jdeere540a

It could have broke the center out of the clutch the foot clutch on a 540 is really a transmission disconnect it dose not disengage the clutch. The lever on the left under the dash that u pull up to aid in cold weather starts is the main clutch disconnect pull that up and trans and winch stop turning.

mike_belben

Maybe broke input shaft on the pump or sheared out the keyway or coupler jaws..  Im just throwing darts, dont know the machine. 

A broken relief valve spring could do similar.

Does this have a powershift trans that uses exhaust pressure from the hydraulics?  Or does the main hyd valve get fed downstream of the trans?  If the latter, thats a much bigger can of worms.
Praise The Lord

dnash

The transmission pump feeds oil to the main pump at the front of the engine. If the driveshaft is not turning or not turning fast enough, the transmission pump will not be able to provide the front pump with the oil it needs which would explain the hydraulic issue. Unfortunately, the only way I can think of to check the clutch is to pull the motor.

JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

treeslayer2003

before you take any thing apart, check that goofy coupler deere used to drive the main pump.

Southside

Well, I had a 540A and the priority valve got stuck in between zones and that gave me the same result - nothing hydraulic worked.  I could not find a replacement for it as I guess they all wear out given the design so I simply plumbed around it and my problem was solved.  Not sure if your machine has the same set up or not. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

TeaW

Had this happen one time with a 440, the pickup pipe on the transmission pump had come off. Good luck.
TeaW

colelogging

Thanks guys,it does seem clutch related,started machine up yesterday and pulled the disconnect lever up and down......made no difference,no drag on the engine and it was cold(single digits).Got my other 540b moved there,so gonna try to tow her out of woods today.

mike_belben

Hopefully its a clutch and and not a snapped or wallowed input
Praise The Lord

coxy

if its clutch related you should not be able to shift with out grinding gears right

dnash

Quote from: coxy on December 29, 2017, 04:48:18 PM
if its clutch related you should not be able to shift with out grinding gears right

This is a power shift. If the gears are grinding, you have much bigger problems to worry about.  ;D
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

Maine logger88

Mine did the same thing and it was the clutch.
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

coxy

Quote from: dnash on December 29, 2017, 05:48:45 PM
Quote from: coxy on December 29, 2017, 04:48:18 PM

This is a power shift.
:D  what was I thinking  ::)

Thank You Sponsors!