iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Source for cedar beams in New Jersey

Started by Rob from NJ, July 31, 2018, 07:12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob from NJ

Hello. I'm new to this forum although I've been reading for some time.
I am constructing a large deck with a roof over a section of it. The architect specified 4x10 cedar for the roof joists and I'm having trouble locating a reasonably priced source in New Jersey.
I need twenty 12' 4"x10"s.
Can anyone point me toward a supplier(s) in my area?
Also, pointers on what to look for as far as quality would be appreciated. I've invested a lot in materials and time and want this thing to outlast me.
Thanks.

pineywoods

12 foot 4X10 cedar may be a bit hard to find anywhere. Suggest query member cedarman. Another option would be to substitute cypress,plenty of big long beams available here
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Southside

I would definitely look at alternative options for that. Are the plans for Western red cedar given the size? That size in eastern red cedar is bound to have issues somewhere in the beam, which means sawing a lot more to fill the order, thus increasing the cost per unit.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Rob from NJ

The plans just say "cedar".
Since the township already approved them, any change in materials would mean getting a letter from the architect - and he'd run it by his staff engineer.

Southside

Perhaps a call to him for clarification. You may be searching for a unicorn.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Rob from NJ

I did find a source for 4x8 WRC but it seems awfully pricey. It may be the going rate but I'm hoping to do much better, if possible.

Roger Nair

Rob, I would look for cedar from lumber and building supply firms in the coastal areas where Western Red Cedar and Yellow Cedar are in common demand.  However, neither is a true cedar rather they are cypress family.  Eastern Red Cedar is a juniper, in fact North American cedars are not in the cedar family which is a Middles Eastern tree.  The architect or engineer should specify the lumber by species and grade, anything less is non-professional.  Getting the spec sorted should be a first step.
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

Thank You Sponsors!