iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Colorado hunt

Started by Firewoodjoe, April 01, 2018, 08:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

Can anyone give me some info on a big game hunt. I'm looking for a combination hunt tag for elk and deer or pronghorn. There web shows combination hunt but dosent list a price. Any one have any exspenise with Colorado?

Magicman

I have hunted Colorado many times and I am not aware of any combination Big Game tags.  There are limited hunt units and seasons that are OTC but most of the tags are draw only, especially in the prime areas, some of which can take 20+ years to draw.  Archery and 2nd & 3rd Rifle season Elk license are available OTC for some hunt units.  The application deadline is April 3.  

Colorado Parks and Wildlife

Toll free 1-800-244-5613
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

I never hunted Colorado. Montana does have a combination antlered deer/cow elk tag, at least in the SE area of the state (ask @justallan1 he lives in that area). I think that is a draw tag as well.
Too many irons in the fire

starmac

25 years or so ago, you could get an over the counter elk and mule deer tag in Colorado, but I think that was done away with long ago.. I am not sure you can even get a very desirable over the counter tag at all any more.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Firewoodjoe

Thanks for the reply's. It will be over the counter tags and that's in August. And they show a elk/deer combination hunt from October 20-28 that's when we'd like to go. But it dosent list price for the combination hunt. I'm thinking it's full price for each but you can hunt them the same time. 

Magicman

Left over tags go on sale to the public on August 7th and OTC tags are for sale beginning August 9th.  Certainly, if available, you could purchase both an Elk and a Deer tag and if the seasons coincided, hunt either/both.  The only "combo" tags that I find listed are Elk/Fishing, Deer/Fishing, and Pronghorn/Fishing.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

If you've never hunted the area, and the season is only 8 days, I'd just get one species or the other, or you could end up without enough time to fill either tag. It's usually gard enough to fill one, especially in an OTC area.

justallan1

I work for the Booth ranch in SE Montana which is outfitted by Montana Hunting Company.
I don't have anything to do with the outfitters, what they hunt, prices or combos, but I do know there are some big animals on this ranch with lots of folks even trying to pay me to let them hunt.
I just wish it were legal and I could let folks hunt in my place, I'd have my house and truck paid off quick-like. :D :D :D

jwade

just my opinion but with  the antigun sentiment in colorado i prefer to spend my hard earned money in states that have a more pro gun stance. montana, wyoming and the dakotas are all good options. just my opinion.

Magicman

But you must remember that that (Tom) sentiment is not shared by native Colorado residents.  That sentiment is being imported from California and Washington.  I refuse to abandon or penalize those that have now become a minority in Colorado.  The Colorado Division of Parks and Wildlife is struggling to maintain a hunt-able/sustainable game population while constantly having to compromise good game management with budget grabbers.

I tried to temper my reply to keep this topic from being moved to the Restricted Board.  It's about hunting and not about politics.

Firewoodjoe

Well thanks guys. It's more of a vacation and scout trip to see. I understand I may and will probably come home empty handed. I'm ok with that. I'm going to wing it. Take a fishing pole and gun and buy what tags is available and enjoy my time. Why are the gun regs a problem. Can I take my gun in my car out there?

Magicman

There is no problem with gun regulations in Colorado  No loaded chamber in an automobile/truck which is something that you would not do anyway.  ATV's are much stiffer.  Guns have to be completely unloaded, both chamber and magazine.

Your expectations are exactly what they need to be in order to enjoy your trip. 

barbender

Allan, it's kind of like working in a bank, handling big money all day but you can't have none😂 SE Montana has some of the finest trophy elk anywhere, but there is very, very little public ground. My uncle (who is just across the border in WY) outfits, and they have been having a lot of trouble with trespassers and poachers because the word has got out in Billings about the massive bulls out there. There is very little land you can hunt without an outfitter, but you sure see a lot of hunters down there cruising the county roads. I think my uncle has more fun catching the poachers than he does actually hunting😂😂
  MM, I hear you 100% on the native Coloradans, they kind of suffered a hostile takeover in a sense. The nice thing in Wyoming is none of the cities have ever gotten big enough to change the character of the place substantially. 

justallan1

We have trespassers and hear every excuse in the world from some, but most of the folks in the wrong spot are really decent people that are thankful for stopping and letting them know. It's funny that you can generally tell which you are driving up to from about 100 yards away. :D :D
I think it's 12 more days until I find out if I get to get a bull elk this year. Last year I used a muzzleloader and got a cow elk the first day I went out, this year I'm trying to decide if I want to try for one with my crossbow or just use it for deer.

Firewoodjoe

Been looking in the sig creek camp area. South either the spruce draw or big lick creek area. By looking at satilite images the big lick creek has more open and the spruce draw side is solid timber. I won't have time to sit and spot for long periods of time but it does make it more enjoyable rather than beating brush and prolly just spooking animals.

justallan1

Here's a teaser for you of some cows and calves. I took this tonight on the way home and it's even on state land that is huntable to the public.
Sorry about the crappy phone pics, I saw one spike bull in the lot.

submarinesailor

Southside

Nice looking herd there Allan - but your "crappy phone" as you put it did something to make the ground look all white and strange. :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

jdtuttle

justallan, I'll be a little wast of you hunting along the Gallatin near Big Sky this October. I lived north of Bozeman in Belgrade for 8 years back in the late 70's. Still have family & friends there to hunt with. Retiring the end of this year so hope to get out more often. 
Jim
Have a great day

justallan1

Southside Logger, unfortunately that white stuff is still here. I got nearly another foot at my house Sunday night and was back to feeding part of the cows with a tractor where we get drifts.
I should be farming, fencing and hunting sheds already. It'll be a mad rush to get things done pretty quick though.

Southside

Well - at least come July the moisture will be appreciated.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

This is my favorite spot to hunt Elk.   :)

Firewoodjoe

Yeah that would be nice. Do I really need to go deep in the back country or will elk be "everywhere"

Magicman

More accurately, they will be "nowhere". 

Remember that the back side of nowhere is generally the front side of somewhere else.  Elk are herd animals and do not tolerate activity.  Spook them and they will leave.  This past year we saw about 30 animals, 6 of which were legal bulls on Wednesday evening before the season opened on Saturday.  Next came the roadside camps and hunters taking advantage of the days before the season opened by "scouting".  It took us another full week to even see another Elk.

starmac

Elk can and will put some miles on overnight, when they decide to, and it don't seem to take much to help them make a decision either.

It also seems like when they do move, they all move, or at least the biggest part of them.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Thank You Sponsors!