iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

c5 Treefarmer Allison Power Shift

Started by overtime, July 30, 2011, 07:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

overtime

I'm looking at a c5 with the power shift dont know much about them the one I got has the 4 speed just looking for an advice good bad or evil.

lumberjack48

what kind of power shift, funk or Allison or?

What kind of power house, 353 or ?
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

overtime

not sure what type power shift but it has a 353 is there a beter one out of the two you mentioned

Autocar

I may be wrong on this but I believe there Clark power shifts
Bill

treefarmer87

Never seen a powershift c5, we would like to see pics please :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

overtime

Today I was told by Dav-Co that the c5's had allison power shifts they also told me that they are prety much obsolete. What do you guys think and is there any why to tell if somthing is wrong?

lumberjack48

First thing is check the trans fluid see if it smell burnt.
Make sure the oil pressure number is up at idle and full throttle, i don't know what the pressure runs on a Allison, on a Funk idle was 120 lbs, full throttle was 180/220 lbs.

Take it for a ride, take off in low full throttle, when the rpm peaks shift up do not take your foot off the floor, this is why its called a power shift, when that 353 starts to scream pull a gear.
Do this many times make sure she's good and hot, run her threw the gears 10 times, then get off and look for leaks.

Then hook on to something it can't pull, put in low, take it easy, it should spin the tires or stand on end, if it sets there and just blows smoke, tran is slipping, [not good]

I worked by a crew that had a TimberJack with the same set up, they really liked it.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!