iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Case 455C track master link

Started by Mike-in-Virginia, February 03, 2014, 11:40:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike-in-Virginia

I'm going to need to break the track to repack the adjuster but so far can't locate the master link that I know oughta be there.  What should I be looking for?
Thanks
Hud-Son Farmboss, Frick 01, New Holland and Ford tractors, Case 455C, cows, cows, more cows, AAAAH!

beenthere

Power wash it first...  ;D    Sounds like it has mud on it.   ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jmouton

never really had that problem ,  usually the track broke apart pretty easy , well sorta , getting it apart is the easy part ,getting it back togather  thats the fun part especially if your out in the woods  , not near your shop , you know !!

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

timberjackrob

My 455c has a small hole drilled in the end of master pin
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

Southside

Just a suggestion, maybe it would not work with your set up, but I have never had to break a track, done this on a dozer, harvester, and excavator.  I just remove the grease injector at the end of the adjuster, use the machine, be it a blade or bucket, to lift up the front of the machine, then use a pry bar to push the idler / adjuster all the way back, you can then use another machine or come along to pull the track to the side and get at idler wheel that way, goes back on just the opposite, with the exception of walking it back into place at the very end once it is most of the way home.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Mike-in-Virginia

That sounds like it would be worth a try.  All of the link pins have a small hole in their ends and none of them look any different than the others.  Even the parts manual doesn't shed any light.
I'll try this out soon as the weather moderates again.
Hud-Son Farmboss, Frick 01, New Holland and Ford tractors, Case 455C, cows, cows, more cows, AAAAH!

Birchwood Logging

Quote from: Southside logger on February 03, 2014, 07:52:18 PM
Just a suggestion, maybe it would not work with your set up, but I have never had to break a track, done this on a dozer, harvester, and excavator.  I just remove the grease injector at the end of the adjuster, use the machine, be it a blade or bucket, to lift up the front of the machine, then use a pry bar to push the idler / adjuster all the way back, you can then use another machine or come along to pull the track to the side and get at idler wheel that way, goes back on just the opposite, with the exception of walking it back into place at the very end once it is most of the way home.
.  X2 I've had to do this a few times it makes it a lot easer if you have another pice of equipment to help put it back on
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

landscraper

There is always the chance that it has an alligator link which you would see after pressure washing.  It would look like a regular link except it is kind of diagonally split and each side of the split has zig-zag mating surfaces.  The pad bolts go all the way through the alligator link, thus holding the 2 sides together.  Take the pad bolts out and hit it a few times with a big sledgehammer.

Seems like most master link pins were slightly smaller than the rest of the pins, so maybe look for one that is different diameter.  I had a deere 490 excavator one time that the master link had a large cotter key or hair-pin stuck through the end of the master link pin on the "inside" closest to the machine frame. 
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

timberjackrob

hmmm my old undercarriage had the small hole in end of pin and so did the new one I recently put on it. you may have the alligator type or zigzag mostly had only seen them on cats but I guess they make them for all makes now.
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

Thank You Sponsors!