iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Franklin C5D - Electrical System

Started by SliverPicker, February 03, 2014, 03:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SliverPicker

1985 skidder.  Does it have a 12v or 24v system?
Yooper by trade.

Stephen Alford

I have never seen one that was 24, but check the battery wires on the posts. If the wire goes from the neg on one battery to the positive on other battery  then   24, if the positive  on one battery goes to the positive on the second battery then 12. Wear safety glasses around batteries , had a buddy lose an eye when he blew up a battery.  Some older gear had 4 sixes. +....-....+....- etc added up to 24.   If there are no batteries in the machine check the starter.  Not a mechanic just trying to help. Good luck. Be careful   :)
logon

SliverPicker

Thanks.  The machine is many miles away from me right now.  All I know is that it has 2 batteries.  A shipping company is going to be picking it up for me tomorrow and in case it needs a jump I need to know what to tell the truck driver about hooking up jumper cables.
Yooper by trade.

Stephen Alford

Yes hard to know what to expect. The batteries in mine are on each side of the seat so when you go to hook on the cables your head is close to the batteries . Just sayin.  ;)  He may have to check and make sure that the air kill switch on the intake side is open or she will not start. A lot of skidders are also geard up with extra kills to prevent others from starting the machine or at least mine is.  Look forward to some pics.  :)
logon

SliverPicker

I hear you about battery safety.  Hydrogen gas can be a hazard!  Mine is the same as yours with one battery on each side of the operator's seat.

Yooper by trade.

smwwoody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

David-L

Take heed, had a battery blow up near my face once doing a jump start and could not hear for days. not much acid in my eyes but enough to have to wash them out. Since then I am very cautious around them thar batterys. Nice looking C5 TF.
Had a friend with a C5 and it was 24 volt and she really spun over.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

treechopper40

my c5 treefarmer is 12 volt and all the other trrefarmers ive seen are 12 volt the 2 batteries run in series meaning positive to positive and negative to negative is how the batteries link together
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

SliverPicker

This one spins over at "normal" speed so I'm pretty sure its 12v.  Trucker should be loading it on a trailer in the next hour or tomorrow morning.  It should be here Thursday.  I paid for the skidder on December 19th, but due to various miscues I still don't have it here. Its shipping from Michigan to Colorado.  1306 miles.
Yooper by trade.

beenthere

Quote from: treechopper40 on February 03, 2014, 05:38:25 PM
my c5 treefarmer is 12 volt and all the other trrefarmers ive seen are 12 volt the 2 batteries run in series meaning positive to positive and negative to negative is how the batteries link together

Just to avoid confusion, might mean "parallel" here, not series.

For more info,
http://www.zbattery.com/Connecting-Batteries-in-Series-or-Parallel
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SliverPicker

Yooper by trade.

Mark K

The way the cables are hooked means nothing. Theres an electric switch under the dash. When cranking the switch gives 24 volt to the starter. When the key switch is released the electric switch disconnects allowing a 12 volt electric system. Mine is 24. Simple once you see how it works.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

coxy

I made my 353 24v its not hard but the starter was much more ;D ;D

SliverPicker

Quote from: Mark K on February 03, 2014, 06:33:53 PM
The way the cables are hooked means nothing. Theres an electric switch under the dash. When cranking the switch gives 24 volt to the starter. When the key switch is released the electric switch disconnects allowing a 12 volt electric system. Mine is 24. Simple once you see how it works.

I was actually wondering if it might be set up that way.  Thanks for the heads up.  When the machine gets here I'll check it out.

It turned out to not be an issue.  Even after sitting since May the skidder started right up.  No jump was required.  the truck driver got it on the trailer last night.  He's on his way here with it as I type this.  I've got to replace some oil seals and have the center pins line bored and I should be good to go.
Yooper by trade.

Corley5

My C4 with a Deutz is straight up 12V.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SliverPicker

Yooper by trade.

Mark K

Mines a deutz 6 cyl. Turbo. I have seen the 5 cyl. being 12 volt.
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

David-L

Sliverpicker, I had a Duetz 5L912 in one of my machines and ended up with a brand new fan assembly . This is the main cooling fan in the cast metal shroud in the front of the motor. This is new never installed and has the single groove pulley on it and could be changed if needed. I would check to see if yours has any bearing play and if it does fix it, also if the belt looks at all old that is a candidate for change also. my temp gauges never worked and I always tied a piece of orange flagging tape to the engine guard on the outlet (left) side and the tape flew straight when the motor was on telling me the fan was blowing air. i miss that motor , it was powerful and lots of torque. the fan shroud new is $600, i would take $300 plus s/h and give the forum 10% if you found yours was not good or wanted to have a spare. Machine looks nice.

David l

David-L

Sliverpicker, found some pics. Good luck.

David l

SliverPicker

Thanks David. The machine should be here Thursday or Friday.  I will go through it and see what it needs.  I will let you know.  Thanks for the offer!
Yooper by trade.

Mark K

David-L, if he doesnt want it id be interested.  Have to do some measuring to see if there the same. Mines a 6cyl.
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

David-L

Mark K , I believe the 5L and 6L912 are the same set up. At foley engine in Worcester mass, an old Duetz dealer they are $ 600 new with core. Will see how Sliverpicker makes out. We just got 12" of white stuff. Would like to see it go to a good home for 1/2 price. Thanks.

David

deutz4

Ran a C4 for about 18 years with a 4L912 deutz. It was 12volt but a 24volt starter. There is a square box under the circular cover on the left side of of the engine compartment. Easy to spot by removing one nut. It makes a loud snap when you hit the starter as it connects the batteries to 24volt. It has 2 bar fuses on the front of the box that blow if you do something silly with the battery cables.

Thank You Sponsors!