iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new motor

Started by smwwoody, March 06, 2013, 06:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smwwoody

The new cummins 6BT came in friday for one of our skidders. now just to get everything switched over and back in the skidder.

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

brendonv

Sweet!

The motor went in a skidder I run part time a few weeks ago.  We got it back last week, I drove it 100 yards, and the HG went!  I limped it out to the road.  They found out the head bolts they used were too long!

Good luck with your swap, I've grown to love skidders
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

smwwoody

I hope this one does better than yours did.  I had that happen with a new turbo a few months ago I dont think i made it 200 yds before the new one went that was a bad day
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

gwilson

What did that set you back?

smwwoody

It was not bad. Only $3100 for the long block
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

gwilson

From what Iv heard they are great engines. Iv recently gotten one in a 380 timberjack but haven't run it very much to date, but it sounds good going around the shop.

coxy

some people here say thay are fuel hogs some say not ijust tell them to buy a cat you will see fuel hog  are thay simple to work on say like a 353-453  are thay any thing like what is in the dodge trucks

barbender

It's the same engine as in the dodge pick-ups. I can't see where they would be hard on fuel, unless the horsepower was really turned up.
Too many irons in the fire

smwwoody

got it all dressed up and in the skidder.  now to hook up all the wires and hoses and put the hood and limb risers back on.  a few new gauges and it will be ready to go back in the woods
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

need to put on one hose fill with anti freeze and fire it up in the morning
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

redprospector

Hope it works good for ya.
I just picked up a low hour 6bt Cummins for a grand...Did I mention it came with a school bus attached to it?  :D
I'm going to remove the hood, unbolt the transmission, cut the frame with a torch, roll it away from the bus & remove the front axle. When I sell the rest of the bus for scrap metal I shouldn't have much in a skid mounted power sorce.
I may be biased, but a 6bt is real hard to beat if you need 200 or less hp to power anything.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

UN Hooker

SMWWOODY
   Is that long block from BLACKWATER? I've looked at their add before and if they do all they say they do that's a good price.
     UN
Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

smwwoody

Yep it came from Blackwater.  Ran it for half a day today.  it did great.  we pulled the skirts off at lunch time to make sure all was good and found a little fuel coming out around each injector.  I will drop a new set of injectors in the morning and put her back to work.
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

kiko

I recognize that Frank green and that front engine mount. A 170 or a c7f ? Also, what is that stuff they put on the electrical connections? It is like gorilla glue. Works great until you have to chisel it off. That sound like a fair price on the long block and appears it came with the gear train housing so cam shaft removal not required . Also a double rear seal for the wet converter. New copper washers might stop the fuel leak without  repelacing the injectors but  then again a new engine is better off with new injectors.

smwwoody

it is in a 170

What ever that glue is sure does the job as long as you dont have to get it apart.

all we had to do was set the fuel pump gear in and put the front cover on.
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

new injectors came in today!!!  got them in and the skidder all buttoned up ready to roll in the morning.  boy does that new motor idle smooth with the new injectors.  I thought it was smooth with the old ones but this is nice.
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

clww

:) Glad that new motor is working out well for you. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

smwwoody

it should get a real work out in the morning.  There are about 10 loads of pine on the ground
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Thank You Sponsors!