iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where do you wear your chaps to?

Started by webgal, May 05, 2014, 10:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webgal

No I'm not asking if you wear them to fancy dinner parties or as casual wear to the movies. I'm writing a little blurb about selecting chaps. Like most gals, you are told a variety of things. Most I've heard is you buy chaps that hit to the top or your boot, or top of your foot. Since this is a HUGE sounding board. Could I get a shout out where you were your chaps to?

Thanks a Heapage!!
Gotta know when to fell em, know when to tell em, know when to walk away, know when to run....

weimedog

Quote from: webgal on May 05, 2014, 10:44:44 AM
No I'm not asking if you wear them to fancy dinner parties or as casual wear to the movies. I'm writing a little blurb about selecting chaps. Like most gals, you are told a variety of things. Most I've heard is you buy chaps that hit to the top or your boot, or top of your foot. Since this is a HUGE sounding board. Could I get a shout out where you were your chaps to?

Thanks a Heapage!!

Chainsaw chaps?? Horse? or Harley?
Chainsaw chaps cover the boot tops for me. Actually interested in a chainsaw pant's concept a competitor sells as it makes life a lot easier! (some things you have to do out in the woods after a few bottles of Pepsi or water are not easy with chaps on) Horse? have to ask the wife & daughters. Harley's? I ride a Suzuki. Hope Bailey's eventually offer the pants concept too. OR chaps easier than "Husqvarna" brand chaps I use that can be a pain to divest of quickly when needed...

Daughter on the left doing what she does.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

pine

My Stihl 9 plys only come in 36" length.( Some folks say otherwise but I have never found longer length and the dealer can't either)  The Stihl 6 plys come in various lengths.  Due to my leg length the 9 plys come to the top of my boots.  I never really liked that but liked the 9 plys versus the 6 plys for a lot of my work.  I recently got a set of labonville extreme.  With them I get the length I want and the plys that I want.  I prefer to have the length go to about 1 inch above the break in the boot just so that they do not drag.

BradMarks

Cover the boot down close to the instep. Women, being higher waisted, generally require one length longer than men of the same height for equal protection.

Dave Shepard

I wear full wrap chaps. I like them to cover the entire boot and lower leg. Both for saw protection, as well as working in snow or brambles.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Reddog

Labonville inserts have become my standard cut protection.
The std length insert stops about my ankle. Which works fine because the pants keep it from snagging

OSHA and ANZI standards state they must cover to the boot top. That is how I fit chainsaw chaps.
When I have tried using them that went to the ankle it just snagged to much for me.

beenthere

Chaps, just at the boot top.
Had a longer pair, but found they were catching on too many sticks and things, so gave them to a friend who was longer legged than I, and ordered another new pair.
Maybe not as much protection, but if they are not comfortable and easy to move around in, then they won't get used as much. Tripping over things is not for me.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Woodboogah

I wear mine to the between my ankle and top of boot.  Boots are kevlar lined so think  I am playing it safe
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

chester_tree _farmah

I wear summer cutters pants in the winter and chaps in the warmer weather.  Chaps down over the boot but I think they could be a little longer. I guess I have long legs.  I don't know how folks  wear those pants in the summer. Too hot for me.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Al_Smith

:D I've got a wiered body .Before I shrunk an inch I was 6 feet tall with a 29" inseam .If my legs were normal size I would have been 6 foot 5 .Needless to say I don't need Wilt the stilt chaps .

thecfarm

I like mine to come to the top of my toe. The pair I have are a little short. They sometimes will get caught on the top of my boot than I have to bend down and pull them off the top of my boot.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sprucebunny

Full wrap chaps that reach the instep part of the boots.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

JohnG28

Mine cover top of my boots and end just above my ankle.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

webgal

This has been some great feedback!!I appreciate it very much.
Gotta know when to fell em, know when to tell em, know when to walk away, know when to run....

clww

I don't wear full-wrap chaps. I like mine to just touch the top of my boots at the bend. Anything longer and I'm getting snagged all the time.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Pine Ridge

Mine come to the top of my boots. I have two pair of apron style chaps and 1 pair of all season pants. About a month ago I burned a hole in the pants from a hot chainsaw muffler, not a good thing to do as expensive as they are!
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

jwilly3879

The men in my family are tall, I'm the short one at 6'3" and have a 36" inseam. I did buy a pair of Labonville's 20 years ago that are long enough to hit my instep but today When I try chaps on today they fit like "high water pants." I like them long so they keep the sawdust and chips out of my laces and boot tongue.

Philbert

To the top of my instep, so my ankles have some protection.

Weimedog might like the chaps that cover each leg, and hook on the user's belt, without connecting across the front. I had an old pair of Husqvarna  chaps like that. I'm not sure if they are still available.

Philbert

AKDoug

I like mine to the top of my instep. When I was buying my chaps at Madsens they were surprised I wanted them that long. They said the majority of loggers want them to come to the top of their boots, which is 6" above where I like them.

CTYank

Full-wrap Labonville from belt level to just above my toes.

Yup, a fly-front would help some.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

barbender

Quote from: Al_Smith on May 05, 2014, 01:49:39 PM
:D I've got a wiered body .Before I shrunk an inch I was 6 feet tall with a 29" inseam .If my legs were normal size I would have been 6 foot 5 .Needless to say I don't need Wilt the stilt chaps .
Al, that made me think of a TV show I saw when I was a kid. I think the  comedians name was Tim Conway, he did a character where he put on shoes that went on his knees and he stood in a little hole so it looked like his legs were really short. I think it was caled "dorf" or something similar.
Too many irons in the fire

chester_tree _farmah

Dorf Dorfman me thinks. Was funny.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

HolmenTree

Quote from: AKDoug on May 06, 2014, 02:22:23 AM
I like mine to the top of my instep. When I was buying my chaps at Madsens they were surprised I wanted them that long. They said the majority of loggers want them to come to the top of their boots, which is 6" above where I like them.
I saw that too when out Madsen's way, their timber faller customers are some of the top pros in the world and they like them just below the knee.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

luvmexfood

Mine come to about 3-4 " back from the toes of my boots. Not that I really chose them that long I only wear a 28" inseam pants and that was how they ran. Don't bother anything that long so I guess it's better protection.

They have "Big and Tall" stores so why don't they have "Short and Pudgy" stores?
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Philbert

From the Labonville site:

QuoteSizing - Chap length is not the same as your pants length. It is not measured by your Inseam. Chaps are sized by overall length. To calculate your overall length measure from your waist (where you would wear your belt) to the top of your foot or your instep.

Philbert

Thank You Sponsors!