Sponsors:

Volcano God Must Be Angry

Started by Fla._Deadheader, April 02, 2008, 02:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Arenal Volcano has been doing some serious rumbling throughout
the night, and this morning. Clouds are pretty heavy over the Volcano now,
but the rumbling continues, even though we can't see how much
ash and smoke and steam rise above the summit  ??? ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

crtreedude

Time to drop another tourist in it...  ::)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

johnjbc

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Senor
Did you not read that the cloud cover is heavy ???  ;D ;D

I will see what I can see  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

isawlogs

Hey ... I read that part too . Here the clouds are in the air , I can still see the mountain beside me  ::)  Git out there and take some pics ...  ;D :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

leweee

:D :D :D Photograph  the tourist before you throw them in. :D :D :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Jeff

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on April 02, 2008, 03:13:29 PM

Senor

I figured you might wait until the clouds move off.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

Ya know, if I was down below a belching volcano, I think I would have something to do besides taking pictures, like hauling buns outta there.  Feets, don't fail me now!!! smiley_horserider smiley_horserider smiley_horserider
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

crtreedude

Tex, it has to get Harold before it gets me - I figure Harold will slow it down a bit and give me plenty of time to get away...  :D

Fla._Deadheader

Problem is, Fred, You have them Big Boulders that were spit from volcanoes laying all over by you, also  ::) ;D ;D

Here's a quick photo. No sound, though.  ::) ::) ;D ;D
I managed to part the clouds for y'all.  8) ;D ;D :) :)

All that grey stuff is ash, where it tumbles down the mountain, kicking up clouds of ash from the boulders mixed in as it falls.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Mooseherder

Ummmm...
Just how far is dat thing. ??? ::)
What Texas Ranger said. :D

isawlogs

I took a good look at the picture , you know what , the more I look at it the more I like my snow .  ;)
Gotta saye , its one nice picture , but I like my mountains with there top still on .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

crtreedude

Just to state what perhaps isn't obvious. Those that are erupting for 40 years don't bother me, they have no pressure. Now, some of you who live around volcanos that haven't done anything in a long time... That snow might look pretty up there but it can turn into a lahar awfully fast...

crtreedude

Quote from: Mooseherder on April 02, 2008, 05:34:49 PM
Ummmm...
Just how far is dat thing. ??? ::)
What Texas Ranger said. :D

From Harold? About 20 miles as the Parrot flies...

isawlogs

20 miles .... hum !!!  Ya but is he not up the mountain and you down in a valey  :o ???  :P

Marcel

crtreedude

His hill is between me and the mountain - it has to fill the valley between him and volcano - flow over him (about a 1,000 feet+ rise and a huge valley) and then get to me, and pass 2,000+ mountain to get to me. The land around here looks like it came out of a blender - or more accurately, a volcano!

I have no worries.

Fla._Deadheader

QuoteI have no worries.

That's what they said in Monserrat.  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

roger 4400

In what part of Costa Rica are you??? My wife is tired of snow and want a WARM place to go ??????
   By the way .......when do you have to throw someone in ???? LOL         Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

Fla._Deadheader

Sooner the better, I guess  ???  Got someone in mind ???  ::) ::)

WE live in the NorthWest section, up toward Nicaragua.

Look on a map, and find Ciudad Quesada. Then look up and to the left, and find Arenal or La Fortuna. Yer at the base of the Volcano, in Fortuna  :o :o :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Dave Shepard

At least you don't have to worry about the hordes of Lexus bugs we have to deal with here in the Berkshires. ;)

Looks like you've got plenty of volcanos down there. Don't need any popping up around here. :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

crtreedude

Volcanoes to the Right of me, Jokers to the Left, stuck in the middle with you.... (sorry Steve Miller...)

crtreedude

You all are trying to find something wrong with being here, since right about now up there you never want to see another snowflake...  :D

Arenal volcano is derived from arena - which means sand. Unlike your volcanoes up there, it really is just a big pile of sand - i.e. no pressure. Granted, the sand and ash build up, and then collapses at times, but that is no danger to Harold and I - some of the tourist areas are another thing.

If it wasn't for the volcanoes, our soil would be like the Amazon - in other words, almost nothing. But, we have great soil because of the volcanoes around us. The key is being close enough, but not too close.

Arenal is one of the most closely watched volcanoes in the world - probably because Costa Rica is so pleasant to visit. The Smithsonian has a permanent observatory here.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on April 02, 2008, 03:13:29 PM

Senor

Well, I just got my explanation about the weather. There isn't going to be a summer this year because of that dang volcano. It happened before when Krakatoa blew up. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

crtreedude

Let's not get excited folks - the volcano has indigestion - happens about every 8 years or so, it belches good and then it is fine. Might take out Tabacon this time though...

http://www.tabacon.com/

Beautiful hotel and surroundings AND YOU COULDN'T GET ME TO STAY THERE IF IT WAS FOR FREE!

BBTom

2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Fla._Deadheader

Pretty neat, huh  8) 8) 8) ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

thecfarm

Nice picture you have of the volcano.Glad you are in no danger from it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

OneWithWood

So, Harold, what have you fabbed up to take advantage of all that free energy?  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Fla._Deadheader

My laboratory runneth over with projects and experiments.  ::) ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Carries-Mom

I'm sure the volcano isn't the only thing smoking... smiley_headscratch..I'm sure your brain is about to erupt... ;D :D

Handy Andy

I wish I could join you guys down there in CR, course I'd miss the grankids and the wife.  How did you guys happen to wind up down there?
My name's Jim, I like wood.

crtreedude

I was kidnapped.  :D

My wife always wanted to be fluent in Spanish, so it became possible, so we did it. It has been a long strange trip I can tell you....

To see what we do, check out www.fincaleola.com

Roxie

So, why does the map of Fortuna, Alajuela Costa Rica have San Francisco in the center of it? 

Harold, watch your ash. 

Say when

Fla._Deadheader

I visited a friend to go Gold Prospecting. Made several trips, and then decided to move down.

No problem, Roxie.  ;D :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!