iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

There may be a market for this in my area

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, July 14, 2018, 07:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Is there a market for this?
Don't know.......yet.

A lot of people saw it today and were drooling.

Early this morning we put up some green Pine 1 x 8 to complete a wall on a shed thats connected to my new barn.

Looked good. But had seen this scorching application used on flooring before.
I have a tank of propane for my grill and went to HF and bought the torch wand for $30 and had a 20% coupon. Price....$26.00.

The dang thing will throw some fire. Has a trigger on it to (  :D ) give it the gas if ya really wanna be an arsonist.

I scorched the new wall and it really made the grain on the Pine stand out.
I think I'll saw 50 boards.....clean and scorch them.....stack and sticker them and advertise
"Scorched Pine Boards"....$1.25 / bf. Take a chance....why not. Can't catch fish if ya fishing.

Here are the before and after pics. Took about 10 minutes but now that I have the hang of it....
I can now do it in less time.
I'm learning the depth of the burn for different shading. Just practice Goat!  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

John S

Very nice and thank you for sharing a great idea!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

DPatton

Looks great David. I don't know your clientele but with a showroom like yours I think it will catch on and sale quite well. I can see people wanting it for siding, fencing, wainscoting, bar fronts, etc.......
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

SawyerTed

I see a planer retro fitted with a torch to scorch the wood when ordered.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

Looks good. I'm betting it will sell.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

bags

I have the same torch--- they are great when ya want some fire.lol. Ya know--- the scorched areas are water proof now--- for siding and fencing ya can use that in your sales pitch too. Looks good.

Southside

Quote from: SawyerTed on July 14, 2018, 08:03:35 PM
I see an insurance claim with that set up!!  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Resonator

I saw that my local big-box hardware store sells "charred" 1x6x8 shiplap interior paneling, #3 pine and better, with a light clear coat finish. So there must be a market for it.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

SawyerTed

Quote from: Southside logger on July 14, 2018, 08:19:02 PM
I see an insurance claim with that set up!!  :D
LOL!  Without the blades in the planer, just a power feed to pass the boards under the torch.
Yeah I could see fires and explosions too!  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

btulloh

Looks great.  You're gonna have to start charging admission to just to come in and look around!

If you tell your customers it's a special Japanese technique called "shou sugi ban", you can charge them double.  Besides, it sounds much better (and more costly) than just calling it "charred wood".  (Somebody had a thread on here a couple days ago that was using the technique.)

What Is The History Of The ?Shou Sugi Ban? Charred Wood Treatment? | Charred Wood LLC

You're outdoing yourself down there with all your new upgrades.  8) Keep it up.  I'm really enjoying your hard work.
HM126

Larry

About 35 years ago I got into the picnic table building business.  I made a jig to weld the support structure/legs out of angle iron.  Used pine for the top and seats.  As an option I sold some with burnt finishes.  Top coated with varnish. They sold well and brought a good premium.

After a couple of years I quit selling the burnt tables because my varnish finish could not take the sun.  Re-finishing became a problem for the buyer.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

dustyhat

I built a white oak curio type cabinet, and did the scorching, looks pretty good and the ladies all love it.

Satamax

I have seen it called yakisugi too. Easier a market name. Basically charred and oiled wood. 

Over here, one of the market trends is thermo brushed spruce or larch. 

Basically, they kiln the wood at high heat, may be not far from charring. 

And brush with a wire brush, to remove the soft wood. leaving the harder growing rings. 

Spruce looks like this. 

I might do some yakisugi at some point for myself. 

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

flatrock58

I have read a lot lately about this technique.  Japanese call it Shou Sugi Ban.  They use it to treat outdoor wood to replace treated wood.  My son recently saw a house in Atlanta that was valued at over a million dollars that had burnt siding on it.  I treated the post and rafters on my shed roof to see if it will keep carpenter bees from messing with the wood.  I didn't keep the heat on the post long but the rafters I charred pretty good.  Time will tell if it deters the carpenter bees.

2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Southside

Quote from: SawyerTed on July 14, 2018, 08:53:06 PM
Quote from: Southside logger on July 14, 2018, 08:19:02 PM
I see an insurance claim with that set up!!  :D
LOL!  Without the blades in the planer, just a power feed to pass the boards under the torch.
Yeah I could see fires and explosions too!  
Too bad, I was picturing a video of flaming shavings shooting out of a dust collector playing to "Great Balls of Fire"!!  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Lawg Dawg

I've been doing this for a few years now. Never sold any, but advise customer on how to do it themselves. I burn them BEFORE I put them on the building or fence, just don't want to chance an ember getting behind a board and burning the whole place down!  :D It's pretty slow go process but not too bad. I think if you were going to sell it, you would have to rig up some kind of power feed machine.  Also, I burnt every board on my barn 3 years ago, and have found out it will definetly fade, so go twice as dark as you would think you like it. SHO SUGI BAN.

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Satamax

Well, the Japanese seem to make it a fair bit darker. 

Yakisugi - YouTube
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

PA_Walnut

Fascinating! Is this technique only effective on softwoods or would something like oak or poplar work well also?
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Satamax

They seem to say it works on all woods, but best results is with cedar.

I came down to the workshop to give it a quick try with larch.

Just a lick of the torch. It's impresive. The piece of wood has been in the offcut pile for at least a year or two. It's dry. But it was still leaking a bit under the torch. And, it kept hot on the other side for awhile.

Texas Ranger

Y'all got it wrong, the goat just likes to play with fire! ;D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Texas Ranger on July 15, 2018, 02:30:12 PM
There is a little truth to that.  ;D

Satamax

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on July 15, 2018, 04:56:22 PM
Quote from: Texas Ranger on July 15, 2018, 02:30:12 PM
There is a little truth to that.  ;D
Make yourself a rocket stove, that covers the need quite well! :D 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Looked up some prices on the charred wood. Around 10 10 bucks for a 3 foot piece 3/4 x 4.  :o

I enjoyed watching this.

Charred Wood Siding - Shou Sugi Ban - YouTube

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I wonder how it would do if you charred a Pine post then put it in the ground?  ::)

Thank You Sponsors!