iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Don't laugh - Galileo would call it quaint

Started by kelLOGg, July 16, 2018, 06:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

;D
As lumber gets heavier and higher on my trailer I have to work smarter cheaper not harder. Last logs I sawed produced 2 x 14 WOs so, 

It is slow, particularly with one person, but there is very little lifting. I obviously don't make a living sawing but this makes what I love to do a lot easier. 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Lawg Dawg

I dont blame you....2x14 wo are heavy! Not worth an injury! Great job! 8)
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

PA_Walnut

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

sealark37

My old mentor sawyer told a customer who wanted his logs sawed into 2x14s, "Nobody needs a 2x14".  He sawed the logs to 2x12, and the customer complained that they were too heavy to load or use.  Regards, Clark

kelLOGg

My customer wanted them as wide as I could get them. They turned out beautiful and heavy - I hope he gets what he needs.
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Tom the Sawyer

Had a mobile job last week where the client only had two logs, but no way to load and haul them.   The two logs were pin oak, one 25"x9', one 24"x16'3".  I asked if he needed 16' lumber, he was hoping for a live-edge countertop for his man-cave, and 16' would be a perfect fit.   :(  I told him to make sure he had several buddies around on milling day.

Sloping yard and driveway, had to turn the mill perpendicular to the driveway to get anywhere close to level.  3 guys with cant hooks and one with a 6' pry bar steering, we moved the logs 20' to the driveway, turned 90°, and about 30' down the driveway to the mill.  The butt of the 16' was about 36" with the flare so it wouldn't roll straight, but we got it done.  He wanted everything at 8/4, live-edge, as wide as possible.

Well, the big ones were 21" wide, 8/4 x 16', that's about 300 pounds apiece.  Yep, it took 4 of them to move each one and, since the guy with the trailer never showed up, they were balancing them across the bed of his mini-pickup and moving them (two at a time) about 150' to where they were being stacked.  Didn't get a photo of him driving up the street with 16 footers looking like wings, but did get one of them moving the planks.

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

kelLOGg

Whew! it made me tired just reading about it, Tom. Good to have manpower when you can't get the mill to the logs. Reminds me of Dave Cunningham quartering logs w/ a chain saw just to get them light enough to move to his trailer (recent post).
Bob

Percy

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on July 16, 2018, 06:06:45 PM
Had a mobile job last week where the client only had two logs, but no way to load and haul them.   The two logs were pin oak, one 25"x9', one 24"x16'3".  I asked if he needed 16' lumber, he was hoping for a live-edge countertop for his man-cave, and 16' would be a perfect fit.   :(  I told him to make sure he had several buddies around on milling day.

Sloping yard and driveway, had to turn the mill perpendicular to the driveway to get anywhere close to level.  3 guys with cant hooks and one with a 6' pry bar steering, we moved the logs 20' to the driveway, turned 90°, and about 30' down the driveway to the mill.  The butt of the 16' was about 36" with the flare so it wouldn't roll straight, but we got it done.  He wanted everything at 8/4, live-edge, as wide as possible.

Well, the big ones were 21" wide, 8/4 x 16', that's about 300 pounds apiece.  Yep, it took 4 of them to move each one and, since the guy with the trailer never showed up, they were balancing them across the bed of his mini-pickup and moving them (two at a time) about 150' to where they were being stacked.  Didn't get a photo of him driving up the street with 16 footers looking like wings, but did get one of them moving the planks.

Quote from: kelLOGg on July 16, 2018, 06:55:19 AM
;D
As lumber gets heavier and higher on my trailer I have to work smarter cheaper not harder. Last logs I sawed produced 2 x 14 WOs so,

It is slow, particularly with one person, but there is very little lifting. I obviously don't make a living sawing but this makes what I love to do a lot easier.

Tom and kelLoGg are what my dad used to call "Practical engineers".... seems the older you get, the clearer it becomes...Im tryin to catch up... ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!