iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky Rancher 50 restoration/rebuild?

Started by Phil_Oz, December 14, 2018, 05:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_Oz

Hi All,
New member from Oz here. I live about 100Km from Sydney. I use my saws mostly for firewood, and a bit of yard work.
Here, you are usually either a Stihl, or a Husqvarna man. I have both. (Stihl MS291, Stihl MS170, Husqvarna Rancher 50 (~86 model).

The Husky Rancher 50 I have had well over 30 years, 3 bars, uncounted chains, and that saw kept us in firewood and warm for many winter seasons.
She is old, hard to start, and has basically been retired. I would like to rebuild/restore the old girl. She has been such a good saw, I wouldn't dream of getting rid of her. I would like to rebuild her, and give her pride of place in the garage. Retirement might even let me restore some more saws as a hobby.

So, where to start? Are workshop manuals available? I've read some threads here re rebuilds and parts, and viewed some YouTube videos, but here seems to be a great storehouse of knowledge.
(I would like to put a big bore kit in the old girl - has anyone done that for this model? and do you have any suggestions for rebuild kits - ie suppliers - OEM parts are very expensive here, so I am looking at (probably) aftermarket parts sourced on-line).
Stihl MS291, Stihl MS170, Husqvarna Rancher 50 (~86 model).

Phil_Oz

OK did some further research (The Lord helps those who help themselves!).
Found a couple of free manuals in .pdf.
The 50, 50 special, 51 and 55 all have a stroke of 32mm.
My 50 has a bore of 44mm.
The most common aftermarket kit has a bore of 46mm - which would result in ~55cc displacement.
(Of interest on one e-bay kit providers page is a note;

Note Please: 

PLS confirm the crankcase opening for the cylinder is 50MM, 

rather than 48MM (older 50's crankcase plate is smaller).

That is interesting as it suggests that there are 2 different series of bottom ends - can anyone expand on that?
In another thread, someone said they had had good luck with a supplier out of HK - and there is one on e-bay who seems to have a more comprehensive kit - and with good ebay feedback.

So that is what I'm leaning towards, the HK supplier, and getting the 46mm bore kit - (My Rancher 50 is set to become a 55 it would seem).

dougand3

The 46mm is 53cc. 
They mean that the impulse hole in the 46 cyl won't communicate with the crankcase in a Husky 50. The hole sits on metal instead of open to crankcase = no impulse. Fix is to elongate cyl impulse hole. Well, you could grind out the crankcase top but more trouble and may get slivers in big rod bearing.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

Phil_Oz

I'm starting to see tea connection between some of the YouTube videos I've been watching, and some of you regular senior statesmen type posters on here.

Found this one -'In Praise of the Husky 50s'?

50cc Saws From Husqvarna, An overview & timed cuts (Husqvarna 543 too!) - YouTube

Thank You Sponsors!