iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

red pine market

Started by lynde37avery, April 14, 2014, 11:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynde37avery

just curious and im in the market to sell. but what has everyone been selling red pine for and to whom? I got a lot to cut. been calling a lot of mills and im around the 185mbf prices. im in western MA.
thanks guys/gals.
Detroit WHAT?

jwilly3879

You can try Commonwealth Plywood in Whitehall, NY.

coxy

Dave Shepard

I've got a bunch of it here that my grandfather planted in the '40's. Still haven't found a use, or a market, for it. I was just talking about it to a friend of mine tonight. There are some trees in the middle of the stand that are over 60 years old, but only 6" DBH. In the '90's we took a row off the outside that were probably 18" and better DBH.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

BargeMonkey

Quote from: coxy on April 15, 2014, 06:07:18 PM
b&b in Boonville ny

They had an ad in the northern logger looking for poles' s and good redpine. I called them, guy came out and said "isnt enough for me to bother with".  A 10 acre clearcut, I shipped 14 loads of saw logs and poles. That was the last time I deal with either B+B or CJ's. 

lynde37avery

i got the same response from b&b and 3b timber. "not enough to bother with" 50,000 ft. w/e to those guys. when i come across the 500,000 foot job they wont be getting called. i found a more local mill that some one refered me too. i allways like to try new mills if they are fair. so/ oh well. some win some lose.
Detroit WHAT?

SwampDonkey

It's a hard sell around here unless they are telephone poles and the poor stuff chipped for biomass. One fellow went around cutting red pine plantations in recent years, no older than 20 years old, for biomass. Around here, red pine was only planted on woodlots for poles in mind, some people can't wait. And a long wait it is. ;) $4/ton on 10 acres (maybe $125 an acre if your lucky) don't sound like much money to the land owner. Cost more to plant them if you take the subsidies out, about $450/acre.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

coxy

b&b in Boonville ny
sorry meant to say3b in Boonville not b&b   thanks for the wright name lynde37avery

BargeMonkey

Quote from: coxy on April 16, 2014, 07:23:34 AM
b&b in Boonville ny
sorry meant to say3b in Boonville not b&b   thanks for the wright name lynde37avery

Yeah I screwed that one up too. Either way the whole crowd out in boonville can get bent. That *pithed me off, paid 2 guys 1/2 a day to go with the buyer and he said "nope not enough". If bailie's cant saw it, and I cant saw it, it goes thru the wood processor.

jwilly3879

Twenty years ago we sold a bunch of it to Canada, too long to remember what outfit bought it but at that time they paid $180 for 16's down to 6" loaded on their trucks.

240b

Dont know where in mass you are, but the best bet is a mill in Quebec, loaded on trucks back hauling north on I-91 or 93. thing is they stop buying red pine about now and down start again till Sept.. Did the pole thing once it was pretty huge red pine for around here (24"+ on stump) by the time I was done messing around, I would have been better off slashing it 16' and being done with it, and go cut hardwood logs sooner. 

jwilly3879

BargeMonkey

State forester is just down the road from me marking a huge 120 acre redpine clear cut, coming up for bid in a few months... time for a stripper delimber. 

SwampDonkey

My cousin had a cut done beside the house last winter and there is a huge slash pile 12 feet high and 100 feet long beside the garage. Nice to attract the porcupines. It was limbed with a stroke delimber. Never cared for them because of the concentrated slash that they always leave. I hate porcupines.  ;D

I was on three sites to thin after a stroker job and they had porcupines up in the firs chewing all the bark off. It's not nice to have one of them quill dogs up above your head or even at face level with a brush saw in your hands. They get kinda mad and snarly. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Remle

lynde37avery
This may or may not apply, but my neighbor built a gorgeous log cabin out of Red pine, so are their any log cabin producers in the area you could sell to ??

SwampDonkey
They get kinda mad and snarly. ;D  This is for those not familiar with porcupines. Sounds like some of the ladies I knew and loved. A soft touch would usually get me buy with the ladies but don't ever try that with a porcupine. As long as you don't touch them their is little to fear. Only by touch do their quills come out. I ran coon hounds back in the day, when they encountered a porcupine the smart dogs barked and left, stupid dogs barked and tried biting the porcupine and paid for it with a mouth full of quills and a trip to the vet to get them removed. So hands of is the best policy. I may be wrong but re-member something about them being a protected species. It seems early settlers faced with starvation used them as a food source, they are one of the few animal you can walk up to and kill with a stick.

thecfarm

They can waddle pretty quick to the closest tree and climb that mighty quick.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Ever try killing one with a stick? You may go hungry.  :D

Dave Shepard

There is a log home place about 14 miles from me. I tried to sell to them 10 years ago, but I couldn't afford to log the trees and pay them to take them. ::) Well, it wasn't that bad, but I'm not going to log for free and give them the logs.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

Up here for the logs they wanted, one place was paying $250 a log. Now mind you they were not buying mountains of logs and besides most of the big log trees are gone locally except some scattered ones. People just don't let trees grow big here, all ya got to do is look around. They're gone.

ely

I killed one with a stick once, shot the stick out of my bow. ;D I skinned him and kept the hide for awhile, im sure you could keep from starving with them but they aint much for flavor.

SwampDonkey

Remle

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 17, 2014, 08:49:09 AM
Ever try killing one with a stick? You may go hungry.  :D

Hope their is a statue of limitations on this, sorry to say, yes, maybe I can claim self defense, back when I was young and stupid while coon hunting, my dog tangled with one and it was the only way to get them apart with out shooting the dog as they were rolling around. Though I have never eaten a porcupine, I have had raccoon and ground hog ( was cooked by some one else not me ) they weren't to bad. So faced with starvation, you bet ya, it's a meal...LOL.

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 17, 2014, 08:50:12 AM
There is a log home place about 14 miles from me. I tried to sell to them 10 years ago, but I couldn't afford to log the trees and pay them to take them. ::) Well, it wasn't that bad, but I'm not going to log for free and give them the logs.

I hear you, working for free just don't make sense. That's why I only mill for my self and a few close friends. Just can't compete with the influx of horse driving people moving in the area. If you have a mill, you might make logs for log homes and selling by the lineal foot of log. My neighbor built one with a Lynn Lumber mill and it a beauty.

Whitetail farms

there's a log cabin manufacture in chestertown, NY, called Lincoln logs

jwilly3879

Lincoln Logs doesn't buy logs, they mill their cabin logs from cants and use EWP. New England Log Homes used red pine for their cabins and milled top and bottom only.

Dave Shepard

They are still trying to clean up the NELH site 6 miles from me. I guess they used all kinds of nasty stuff to treat the logs.

Thank You Sponsors!