iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coat Hangers

Started by Magicman, March 02, 2015, 12:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

What would we do without them.  Kinda like household "bailing wire".  They are always handy and have been cut, twisted, straightened, bent, etc. every way imaginable.

This morning the vacuum quit vacuuming.  A straightened coat hanger fished the clogged lint from the tube and presto, vacuuming again.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Autocar

I just used one last week to clean a bathroom drain at my mother in laws. I have a number of them hanging on the shop wall made for different things.
Bill

beenthere

But still not as great as the old baling wire. Grew up with the kind that was cut to length and had a loop twisted in one end (used for hand threading/tying on the old baler). Soft, pliable, yet strong.

Coat hangers are on the stiff side. But make 'em do.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

yukon cornelius

I love em! the last project I used one on was a rebar clothes drying rack a made for my wood stove. It hangs down from the ceiling "one clothes hanger" from the ceiling.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Chuck White

I use wire coat hangers for lots of things, they're just "handy"!

Over all, I think the handiest wire I've found is the wire used to twist rebar together with, it's soft and easily bent into most any shape!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

trapper

rebar wire is used a lot in trapping.  Straightened a couple of clothes hangers and used them to find the underground water line going to the old barn that I need to cap off this summer
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

luvmexfood

Been many a car door opened with a coat hanger when the keys were locked inside.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

r.man

Coat hangers are more of a tool than a wire. Trapping wire is what you want for attaching things, coat hangers pull, push and grab things.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Chuck White

Quote from: trapper on March 02, 2015, 02:43:19 PM
rebar wire is used a lot in trapping.  Straightened a couple of clothes hangers and used them to find the underground water line going to the old barn that I need to cap off this summer

I've done that a few times too.

Works pretty good!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Shotgun

So, how about a little dousing training for those of us that want to learn?
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

thecfarm

Wire coat hangers maybe a thing of the past. Those plastic ones are taking over!!  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pigman

They are even good to hang clothes.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

21incher

My wife got rid of all the metal ones and replaced them with wooden and plastic types so I can no longer enjoy their usefulness. :(
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

doctorb

The funny thing is that, if they have a failing, its hanging heavy coats!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Onthesauk

Next thing you know,  you guys are going to  try to find some use for duct tape. :)
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

landscraper

Quote from: Shotgun on March 02, 2015, 04:56:21 PM

The number one thing I can say about dowsing is that you have to have faith that it works.  If you doubt that it works, it won't.  Also, some people just have the knack for it, and some don't.  Best thing to do is go try.  You might be surprised.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: doctorb on March 02, 2015, 06:29:57 PM
The funny thing is that, if they have a failing, its hanging heavy coats!

You're right Doc. And yes, Ray, the plastic ones are taking over.....in our houses anyway.
But I keep me a good ware hanger for roasting Marshmallows or Hotdogs in the fareplace.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bilge Rat

Wire coat hangers come in different gauge wire.
For coats/heavy stuff get Big Man hangers.
If you need wire hangers go by the local dry cleaner and ask for a few.
We recycle them, customers bring them back so i always have some that i can give away.
A local trapper uses them for trip wires on his traps. He says they work better, last longer than factory.  He comes by a few times a year. He does urban/problem critter trapping.

Remove the coating and use them for welding filler rod in a pinch.

sandhills

Quote from: landscraper on March 02, 2015, 08:06:39 PM
Quote from: Shotgun on March 02, 2015, 04:56:21 PM

The number one thing I can say about dowsing is that you have to have faith that it works.  If you doubt that it works, it won't.  Also, some people just have the knack for it, and some don't.  Best thing to do is go try.  You might be surprised.
I'm not saying I know anything about dousing but I can find about anything buried under ground with a couple pieces of copper wire, bend them in a L shape pointed straight in front, one in each hand loosely, and they turn pointing to where the "whatever is under ground" runs to and from.  Not a real good explanation I know but it works for me, dad always said I was the best ground God ever invented  :D

sawguy21

Quote from: Bilge Rat on March 02, 2015, 08:58:25 PM
Wire coat hangers come in different gauge wire.
For coats/heavy stuff get Big Man hangers.
If you need wire hangers go by the local dry cleaner and ask for a few.
We recycle them, customers bring them back so i always have some that i can give away.
A local trapper uses them for trip wires on his traps. He says they work better, last longer than factory.  He comes by a few times a year. He does urban/problem critter trapping.

Remove the coating and use them for welding filler rod in a pinch.
Did that more than once  ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bill Gaiche

Yes to the welding. I have used a bunch way back when to torch weld with and they worked real well. bg

Dave Shepard

I have a backhoe. I don't have any problem finding buried lines. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

easymoney

i was going to say use them for welding rods but a couple of you beat me to it. i never buy the store bought welding rods for acetylene welding. our local clothes and food pantry sells a generous batch of them for one dollar. i can't believe how many of them i use in a years time. if you need a small cotter pin and don't have one handy cut a piece of coat hanger. yes i remember baling wire. but it is probably all long gone. a lot of things around the farm was held together with baling wire.

justallan1

It's nice to see others use them for welding. I've mentioned that to folks and they refuse to believe it's possible. Now I don't go using it all the time, but it'll sure work in a pinch.

drobertson

they are handy for sure, from cleaning hair from the sink drain, to underneath the rig patching a tail pipe,  Not sure how many we have left here, seems that those plastic ones have really taken over, they are nice, but have limited uses like the old metal ones. I know there are are few folks remember the Popping of filler rod going into the ear and down the neck, followed by the comment," must be a cheap one" grab me another one :D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!